PDA

View Full Version : Been Busy Toolmaking

Dave Anderson NH
04-08-2004, 7:03 AM
The last couple of weeks have been busy making hand tools. I've had a supply problem getting Snakewood (now solved) so I made some knives out of Gabon Ebony and Brazilian Tulipwood (a rosewood variety) to fill the gap. I'm also working on a batch in East Indian Rosewood so that I can have an offering of the traditional material for tool handles. As yet I haven't decided on a name (see post in Off Topic Forum) for my little side business. The suggestions made were helpful and under consideration, but decisions, decisions, decisions....

The first pic shows the Ebony (top), Tulipwood (middle), and the Snakewood onthe bottom. The second pic is an array of a bunch together.

John Miliunas
04-08-2004, 8:02 AM
As is your typical level of quality, they ALL look great, but I must say that my favorite is still the Snakewood! Keep up the great work and good luck on your little venture! :cool:

Bob Smalser
04-08-2004, 10:28 AM
Gorgeous Dave!

Those hydraulic fittings used for ferrules?

Martin Shupe
04-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Hey Dave,

Are those Hock blades? Or do you make them yourself?

James Carmichael
04-08-2004, 10:38 AM
Beautiful, as always, Dave!

Tim Sproul
04-08-2004, 11:53 AM
Dave,

sweet marking knives.....

I'm new to this forum. Are these for sale? Link would be appreciated.

Lloyd Robins
04-08-2004, 12:14 PM
I love the tulipwood! Keep up the good work.

Glenn Clabo
04-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Tim,
Just PM him...he'll explain.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/private.php?do=newpm&userid=108

Dave Anderson NH
04-08-2004, 3:48 PM
The knives are completely of my own manufacture. The blades are made from O1 tool steel bar stock which I shape and heat treat. The ferrules are not compression fittings, but are off the shelf brass ferrules I purchase from Lee Valley. It seemed an unnecessary amount of effort and expense to make my own ferrules since they are mostly a trim item and actually are of limited utility when it comes to strength. I do sell the knives, I can't violate SMC terms of service. As a moderator I have to set an example.