PDA

View Full Version : Please check my reasoning on entry level Rigid jointer vs Sunhill

Larry Rasmussen
05-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Just added a Jet (performax) 16-32 drum sander to the tool collection yesterday and I'm short on bucks. Six inch entry level is going to be the jointer of choice for now. I have great luck with resale on Craig's list so trade up in the future won't be an issue.

On to the question- I'm looking at a Rigid JP0610 with a 45" bed for $340 with my 10% off coupon adding a sunhill spiral head for $150 for a total of $490 or a Sunhillmachinery SM-150 with a 56" bed and spiral head for $499.

The rigid is in stock locally and I have a 10% coupon. Sunhill is 35 minutes down the road and lists a spiral head specifically for the Rigid Jointer for $150. I checked out Sunhill when planer shopping and I think the disposable blade spiral knife system has a lot of potential as a step up, looks real easy to swap out to change blades.

Other side of coin is Sunhill Machinery with spiral head installed presumably, a longer table at 54" and a bit higher working height.

I'm a little inclined towards the Rigid just because I can put it on my HD card and pay it next month at pay day and still avoid finance.

However if anyone has experience with these two products especially the Sunhill I would be most interested in input from actual users.

Thanks,
Larry Rasmussen
Seattle

Darl Bundren
05-18-2008, 12:06 PM
I have that Ridgid jointer and like it pretty good. Two things you might consider: If you put the Ridgid on a mobile base (I made one out of 2x4's and cheapy casters) the working height gets a little better. If you make a base, make it wider than the depth of the jointer as the jointer is a bit tippy. And, you might run the Ridgid with the stock knives; then, when it's time for replacement, either get new blades or pony up the cash for the Sunhill head. With the stock knives, the Ridgid does pretty good.

Good luck with your decision making.

Matt Meiser
05-18-2008, 12:14 PM
$9 for the head pre-installed would make it worth it to me assuming everything else was equal.

J. Z. Guest
05-18-2008, 12:22 PM
I'd go the Ridgid/Sunill route, as the Ridgid is a proven jointer around here. I bought mine on advice here and have been quite happy. It also has a "Lifetime Service Agreement" which can presumably be cashed in at a local Home Depot.

Another way to save a few bucks is to buy the Ridgid and not buy the spiral cutterhead until the first set of knives is dull. Heck, you might even decide that the spiral cutterhead isn't worth the extra money. ;)

Larry Rasmussen
05-18-2008, 2:16 PM
First Matt I did install a shelix head on my Grizzly planer and would have paid $100 for the service just because I'm not much of a machine guy and it took forever. However I think dopping in the jointer head is much easier.

Jeremy and Darl- sensible fellows. The rigid is my decision and yep I'll put some miles on the stock blades. Good thinking about the mobile base. I've got a couple of 4" wheels somewhere now and just need some lockers for the other end.

Thanks,
Larry R
Seattle

Art Mann
05-18-2008, 2:56 PM
It also has a "Lifetime Service Agreement" which can presumably be cashed in at a local Home Depot.

Actually, you have to take your Ridgid tool to an authorized service center to get service. HD will not do anything for you. However, there are a lot of Ridgid authorized srvice places around.

scott spencer
05-18-2008, 3:17 PM
That design is very well proven....basically the same design in both tools. The Sunhill is made by Geetech who used to make the Grizzly 1182, GI jointers, Jet, Woodtek, Bridgewood, and others, and even possibly the Ridgid or castings for the Ridgid as they're nearly identical (not sure about that though). The additional length and weight are signficant advantages for the Sunhill, and considering that you're 35 minutes away you don't have to pay s/h either. If you can get a 56" bed for the same price as a 45", I'd definitely do it.

Tom Veatch
05-18-2008, 4:15 PM
Just from a philosophical point of view, I have to agree with the sentiment that, assuming otherwise equivalent machines, the longer bed and preinstalled spiral head would be well worth the $9 extra. Can't speak to the quality of either unit since I have no experience with either.

John Thompson
05-18-2008, 4:34 PM
I had a Sunhill 6" for 6 years and ran a many miles of stock through.. I sold it to a local and he has run many miles through. The "hill" have the 54" bed which IMO makes it a no brainer. I have an 84" bed on my current 8" and could have used around 100" just yesterday.

BTW.. I would be patient and save even more and get an 8" as if you don't now and have the space.. you probably will not far down the road unless you just have time to do WW occasionally.

Good luck...

Sarge..