PDA

View Full Version : Cordless Recip Saws???

Jay Yoder
05-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Hi all, i was wondering if anyone else is dissatisfied with their cordless "sawzalls" run time? I have a Ryobi 18v and while trying to make 4 cuts thru 2x6's. i ended up have to go to my 4th batt to get it done. Is this b/c it is a cheap Ryobi or is this common for all the cordless recip saws? i was also wondering if going to the LI-Ion batteries were worth the $ to upgrade, or should i just spend the $$$$ and go with a makita set or maybe Bosch...

Jim Andrew
05-17-2008, 11:28 PM
Think you already answered your own question. I have trashed most of my ryobi stuff, and have a Bosch cordless recip saw, and it is really nice. Don't like the clamp for the blade, comes loose pretty regularly. If I didn't have it, would get the Makita. I get the best service from Mak and also some Hitachi tools. Jim

Jay Yoder
05-18-2008, 12:25 AM
It is just tough to justify the money, when typically i dont use the saws that came in the kit that often. I had an old makita 9.6 that i loved!! Maybe it is time to return to it if i can get the wife to agree...would a battery rebuild or the li ion be a good compromise? I am done with the saw on this project for the most part...

Lance Norris
05-18-2008, 12:31 AM
and have a Bosch cordless recip saw, and it is really nice. Don't like the clamp for the blade, comes loose pretty regularly.

My Ryobi holds the blade just fine. You cant use a sawzall that doesnt hold the blade.

Jay, you should get better run time than you have stated. The Ni-cad Ryobi batteries arent very powerful. I have the new lithiums and they are much better. I think the best value if you are going to upgrade is the drill and light. It comes with 2 Lithium batteries and the Lithium charger. The new charger will charge those old Ni-cads as well.

matthew Roberts
05-18-2008, 3:54 AM
I have an 18V Milwaukee and although it would last with the one battery for the test you mention it wouldn't last much longer. I think price does play a role but I still wasn't very impressed with the battery time.

Tyler Boleyn
05-18-2008, 9:19 AM
I would go with a 18v Milwaukee. I use one everyday.

Jim Becker
05-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Even the best of the cordless reciprocating saws has it's limits...frankly, the way these tools are used is pretty power intensive in many cases. The cordless units are best for light duty or convenience for those cuts where getting a corded tool setup would make for a bit of work. For more than incidental demolition, etc., a corded tool is going to be a better choice, IMHO.

Wayne Cannon
05-18-2008, 8:34 PM
I've been very pleased with the run time of the DeWalt 18v cordless reciprocating saw. I've cut the 48" width of four sheets of 1/2" plywood and a half-dozen fir 2x6s one one charge to fit the pieces into my 6' pickup bed. It was more than I ever expected from it. I would expect the same from the other major brands.

Peter Quinn
05-18-2008, 9:47 PM
I checked out a Makita 24V saw that my local lumber yard had, they were saying it was getting good reviews. It was close to $400, felt akward in my hands, and was frankly a brick. It had a "Tool belt hook" built in, I had a mental image of this heavy thing pulling my pants and tool belt to my knees as I ascended my ladder...no thanks.

I got a corded PC tiger saw on sale for around $120, its got power to spare, good balance, fairly light weight, and it NEVER runs out of batteries. I think about the only time I'd be interested in a cordless recipro saw is if I had some light cuts to make in a location WO power or way up a ladder. For serious demo I'd rather buy a generator than a cordless.

Bob Slater
05-18-2008, 10:48 PM
My Dewalt 18V seems to have decent staying power. The batteries need replacement quite often though.