PDA

View Full Version : Is This the Hottest Thing Since Toast?

David DeCristoforo
05-17-2008, 9:58 PM
Is it just me or is this... well read the title. The pic is really crummy but you can see enough to get the idea...

BTW, this is the new Griggio saw and the outrigger swing is an option. 55 degrees in either direction. Any one shopping for a new panel saw?

Matt Ocel
05-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Very nice David.

BTW, if there under $100 I'll take 2.;)

Sean Ackerman NY
05-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Wow, any better pictures or details?

Looks like the hottest thing since a burned marshmallow over a camp fire, forget toast.

Peter Quinn
05-17-2008, 10:19 PM
Why is there a television on it? Who watches TV while wood working? Those darn Italians just think of everything...with that I could catch up on my soaps while making cabinets!

Duh...uhhh....ummm....thats pretty cool. I'd have to be a much better wood worker to begin shopping for a saw like that, or much worse? I must live vicariously through those who purchase them or finalize the sale of my left kidney.

David DeCristoforo
05-17-2008, 10:30 PM
"Wow, any better pictures or details?"

Oddly enough, this is the best pic I can find. For such a unique idea, you would think it would be the main selling point. I talked to the sales manager at Laguna and I had to twist his arm to get him to talk to me about the outrigger. He was off on all of the other features, readouts, stops, etc. BTW, the TV is also optional....

Mike Heidrick
05-17-2008, 10:33 PM
You insert the plans video of the item you want to make and the saw automaticlly cuts out all the pieces for you and sorts them in nice orderly stacks.

David DeCristoforo
05-17-2008, 10:35 PM
"You insert the plans video of the item you want to make and the saw automaticlly cuts out all the pieces for you and sorts them in nice orderly stacks."

Right. But you still have to put them together....

Jim Becker
05-18-2008, 10:04 AM
It slices...it dices...literally! LOL

Mike Heidrick
05-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Right. But you still have to put them together....

And that is another tool opportunity to be solved by the latest festool invention.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/robotjpg.jpg

Per Swenson
05-18-2008, 12:00 PM
I dunno if its the same one,

but it runs on XP

http://www.griggio.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=6&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=35&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Robert LaPlaca
05-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Wow a European slider that you can watch NFL football games on, combining two of my vices in one device, that is hot..

Matt Meiser
05-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Its probably running XP because they are probably using on of Siemens's HMI packages for the graphic interface. Pretty much all industrial HMI packages run on Windows and the standard industrial communication protocol is Windows based. They tend to be very stable though as long as they stay virus free and you don't start loading other software, like Office, on them.

David DeCristoforo
05-18-2008, 2:08 PM
"I dunno if its the same one..."

That's the one. Hit that link and then "click" on "Accessories". Scroll down a bit for some more pics of the outrigger swing feature.

Eric Larsen
05-18-2008, 6:07 PM
Why is there a television on it? Who watches TV while wood working? Those darn Italians just think of everything...with that I could catch up on my soaps while making cabinets!

Duh...uhhh....ummm....thats pretty cool. I'd have to be a much better wood worker to begin shopping for a saw like that, or much worse? I must live vicariously through those who purchase them or finalize the sale of my left kidney.

I understand there is also an option (in Italy only) for a bolt-on three-phase 460v espresso machine.

Greg Sznajdruk
05-18-2008, 6:21 PM
Just what we need, more computers. I'm still ticked at the flat screen; believe it or not it has an orange light to tell me it is turned off. Like I can't tell the thing is turned off. Come to think of it the DVD also has a light to tell it is turned off.

Greg

David DeCristoforo
05-18-2008, 6:47 PM
FUGEDDABOUT THE COMPUTER!!!! Look at the outrigger! Shecch....

Altho.... come to think of it, an espresso machine ain't a bad idea either....

Peter Quinn
05-18-2008, 8:27 PM
OK, OK, the out rigger is pretty cool, but for the work I do its application would frankly be limited and there are other albeit more cumbersome ways to accomplish those tasks. So lets talk more seriously about that espresso machine. That just might be the single biggest advance in saw safety in the last 200 years. Screw saw stop. Thats designed to save guys sleeping on the job. This saw actually solves the PROBLEM.

Imagine if the saw's computer was able to SENSE that a dangerous operation was being attempted. It shuts of the motor, fires up the steam pump and voila, out comes a lovely doppio with frothy crema with a little G swirled into it. THe machine could actually give you a much needed wake up call and possibly increase productivity over time! Assuming you aren't waiting in a line to use the machine with guys making coffee.

Would OSHA then require a Barista be present to insure the quality and safety of the coffee? Nobody wants a repeat of the infamous "McDonald's coffee in the lap" incedent!:eek::eek:

Any idea what the cost of that machine is with the tilting out rigger but sans espresso machine?

Don Bullock
05-18-2008, 9:17 PM
Now, how to convince SWMBO that I must have one.;):D Naw, never happen.:(

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-18-2008, 10:05 PM
You insert the plans video of the item you want to make and the saw automaticlly cuts out all the pieces for you and sorts them in nice orderly stacks.

I got you beat~!!
My saw buys the wood cuts it up and puts it together and applies the finish and I don't even need to tell it what I wanted.

Bill Huber
05-18-2008, 10:13 PM
I got you beat~!!
My saw buys the wood cuts it up and puts it together and applies the finish and I don't even need to tell it what I wanted.

But does it clean up afterwards....:D:D

David DeCristoforo
05-18-2008, 10:24 PM
"Would OSHA then require a Barista be present to insure the quality and safety of the coffee?"

Well obviously, Peter, it would make the espresso at the correct temperature which, if you were Italian, you would know, is not hot enough to scald you....

BTW, it's around 25 grand... I guess the reason this got me so excited is that I have done a lot of angle cutting on sliders and it's always a problem that when you swing the fence, you lose the support. With the new Griggio, the whole outrigger swings so you still get full support. I realize this is "not for everyone" but it's still a great idea.....

Neal Clayton
05-19-2008, 1:37 AM
Wow a European slider that you can watch NFL football games on, combining two of my vices in one device, that is hot..

it probably only picks up soccer matches and formula one races. you'll have to wait for next year's firmware.

Bill Wyko
05-19-2008, 3:14 AM
Add to cart:D:eek:

Mike Wilkins
05-19-2008, 9:52 AM
Flipping through a Martin catalog and saw an outrigger arrangement similar to this one. Nice feature, but both are way out of my league. Nice to have.
I believe the repeatability with one of these would be awesome.

Chris Padilla
05-19-2008, 3:08 PM
Hot...and heavy...hot and heavy! :)

Peter Quinn
05-19-2008, 8:58 PM
"Would OSHA then require a Barista be present to insure the quality and safety of the coffee?"

Well obviously, Peter, it would make the espresso at the correct temperature which, if you were Italian, you would know, is not hot enough to scald you....

BTW, it's around 25 grand... I guess the reason this got me so excited is that I have done a lot of angle cutting on sliders and it's always a problem that when you swing the fence, you lose the support. With the new Griggio, the whole outrigger swings so you still get full support. I realize this is "not for everyone" but it's still a great idea.....

From my time in Milan and years in the restaurant business in NYC (worked for many Italians) I believe the difference between a perfect espresso and burnt beans is 2 seconds. If it takes longer than 12 seconds to pump out that joe, your in trouble. Haven't seen too many automated machines that can maintain that kind of performance, takes a human touch. And for $25K I think they should send a barista to train at least one guy in your shop to make drinks! I'll take a Tristino Doppio!

I hear you on the angled cuts. Last shop i worked in had an older SCMI slider and while all my jobs were rectangular the cabinet makers invented a few new experlatives when setting that saw for angled cuts. Not really a bad price for that kind of performance. Might have to sell my wife's kidney as mine has processed too much grappa to garner that much on the black market.

David DeCristoforo
05-19-2008, 9:31 PM
"...the cabinet makers invented a few new experlatives..."

You mean like "Gadbalandmommerfungersumaforginpisakrap"?

Matt Meiser
05-19-2008, 9:57 PM
From my time in Milan

Hope it wasn't the Milan (http://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/mil/index.jsp) by me. But if it was, you might know my neighbor--he's a guard there. :D

David DeCristoforo
05-19-2008, 10:01 PM
"...Hope it wasn't the Milan by me..."

Dude! You doan get no steeenking espresso there mon....

Matt Meiser
05-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Nope, you have to go up the road to Saline or down to Dundee.

Don't every buy a car from the GM dealer there either. I think they've got some kind of work release program going with the Feds.