PDA

View Full Version : SCMI E16 questions

Paul Maxwell
05-17-2008, 7:57 PM
I have seen plenty of discussion regarding the worthiness of the MM16 bandsaw. I am waiting for additional information from the seller of a E16. I can see the clear differences in the build weight of the 2 machines and the significant drop in horsepower from the MM16 of over 4.5hp to the 1.5hp of the E16. The seller is asking for $800 which would seem to be an OK price for a well maintained machine.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this machine?

Ken Fitzgerald
05-17-2008, 8:32 PM
Paul,

I haven't used an E-16 but looking at the specs..a few things that are different. 13" resaw versus 16".....2.5 hp versus 4.8 hp........no tension guide on the E-16......double box beam spine on the E-16 versus triple box beam on the MM-16....I suspect those are the major differences.

Jim O'Dell
05-17-2008, 9:06 PM
I have the E16, and Ken is right in all aspects. It is not an MM16 by any stretch. But for 800 bucks?? If it runs and is in good shape take it. It is a good machine. It has all the features I wanted in a bandsaw, except the bulk and build of the MM16. It has 12" resaw. 2.5 HP. Pretty good dust collection for a single port unit. Rack and pinion on the upper guide system. Cast iron fence. Foot brake. Cast iron wheels.
The draw backs are the table is not large, the miter gauge guide is not standard depth, and the lower guides are not up against the table. I got one of the first ones that were introduced at 995.00 plus shipping and tax. I don't think you will find a more powerful bandsaw with close to those features of any brand at 800.00. That's less than half what they sell for new!!
Actually, Ken, there is a tension guide....it's on top of the top wheel house. Not great, but it does seem to work. Jim.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-17-2008, 9:13 PM
Actually, Ken, there is a tension guide....it's on top of the top wheel house. Not great, but it does seem to work. Jim.

I stand corrected. I couldn't see it at the MM website and didn't see it listed in the specs.

Jim Andrew
05-17-2008, 11:13 PM
I have a MM16, mostly because I wanted a smooth running bandsaw, rather than some homeowner piece of junk. But I don't use it a lot, and usually just for doing simple little bandsaw jobs. Probably a delta would have been heavy enough for what I do with it. But don't get any ideas, I'm keeping it. The wheels are about 1/2" thick, and I mean the webbing part, It is built stout. Jim

Ben Rafael
05-17-2008, 11:21 PM
For $800 it is a good deal.

Paul Maxwell
05-18-2008, 2:12 PM
Thanks for the direct feedback on your own saw Jim. I read the specs on the SCMI website and saw the differences between the 2 saws. It is nice to hear from an owner of an E16 and hear that it is still a considerable improvement over what I am using now. I am still waiting for more onfo from the seller and will update when I know something.

Jim O'Dell
05-18-2008, 2:21 PM
I will add the normal things for purchasing used equipment. Make sure you can run it. Maybe take some wood with you to cut. Sound will tell a lot about that particular machine, and since you are used to working with a bandsaw, it will be easier for you do determine if there is a problem in it, or if it just needs to be tuned up. Waiting for a bonifide gloat!! Oh and make sure it is the E16 and not the older S16. Not much difference in machine quality, but the E16 was built by SCMI (MiniMax) and the S16 was built by Meber. The S16 was a Laguna model, then dropped and MM picked it up for a short while. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
05-31-2008, 7:06 PM
So, Paul...did you get the E16??? Inquiring minds want to know, you know. ;) Jim.