PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have this problem?

Simon Sharp
05-17-2008, 6:22 PM
Hello, I'm new around here.....

I have a Stanley no5 I bought cheap from a local auction, and am trying to clean it up. I wanna learn how to use these things.

Trouble is, the tote screw won't come out. Its stuck. I have a good fitting screwdriver, and have not (yet) broke it, or deformed the slotted head. I put enough torque on it to twist 2 or 3 degrees, and I'm going to break it!

-Will it hurt the wood, if I soak the whole thing in a bucket of kerosene?
-More radical, heat the sole with a torch, but I'm afraid of burning the wood.

BTW, I think it's a type 19, and I got it for $2.00

Tom Veatch
05-17-2008, 7:24 PM
Personally, I'd shy away from the heat application for fear of warping or otherwise damaging the base of the plane. No more than you have invested in the plane at this point (good drive-by gloat, by the way), you could replace the tote from a number of sources.

It looks like you've been able to remove the screw at the bottom/front of the tote and the long one from the top through the tote body is the one giving you trouble. That one is a double ended screw that is threaded into a boss on the plane sole and has a slotted brass retaining nut threaded onto the top of the screw. You may be able to flood the area around the nut with enough penetrating oil to wick into the joint (top and/or bottom) and free up the threads. If worst comes to worst, and you damage the nut/screw, you can get a replacement for a couple of bucks (per the latest repair parts price list I have from Stanley) or from at least one 3rd party supplier.

Michael Stanley
05-17-2008, 7:25 PM
I've no experience with old planes but I use a product called P B Blaster penetrating oil on my cars. It really helps with frozen nuts and bolts. Especially suspension and brake parts. It is very thin and doesn't stain. PB makes a number of different products and you can find them at most auto parts stores.

Simon Sharp
05-17-2008, 7:41 PM
Ok, thanks guys....guess I'll try the penetrating oil, I thought about it but didn't know if that wood mess up the wood :)

Your right, Tom, there are always replacement parts.

Regards,
Simon Sharp (love saturday morning auctions!)

Jim Koepke
05-17-2008, 7:46 PM
If you have a solid driver blade as wide as the screw head, you might try tapping on the driver while turning it to try to break the threads free.

I would also check the screw from the front of the tote to make sure it is the proper one. It should have the same size shank and same thread as the frog screws.

I noticed it has a washer on it which is not original. For some reason, these screws often get removed and lost.

I have one similar to this that had the threads on the tote damaged due to a former owner not knowing what they were doing.
I repaired the threads with thin coats of JBweld and bought a few 12-20 taps from victornet.com.

My suspicion is the same thing may have happened to the plane you have and the owner just epoxied the bolt and head together, then epoxied the whole thing into the base.

Lacquer thinner will often soften epoxies. Not sure if it will harm the wood. If you do this, do it outside for the fumes. I have made little boats of tinfoil to hold the thinner and the plane. It can be closed up and as long as you do not make a hole, the thing can soak awhile without evaporating away.

good luck,

jim

Simon Sharp
05-17-2008, 7:55 PM
Wow, you have sharp eyes there, Jim! Indeed, the that front screw is too long, and has a nut and washer so it can be tightend. The screw does (in this case) fit the threads nicely, so I was thinking of just cutting it down to the right length.

Regards,
Simon (going out to the garage now, and squirt some penetrating oil)