PDA

View Full Version : New Lee Valley planes- any updates?

Jim Belair
05-17-2008, 2:31 PM
Has there been any update on any of the new Lee Valley (Veritas or others) planes and I’ve missed it? My recollection was there were some due in the “spring”.

I know ALF was/is testing one (and LIKES the tote!). Suspect this might be a combi (a.k.a. “large plow”) as she’s the undisputed combi champ around these parts. Let see… Tools for Working Wood carries the Clifton Multi at $1300, probably over the top for most of us. The LV small plow is about 2 ˝ times the price of a good user 50, a user 45 runs about $150 so maybe $400-450 for the new offering? (I know this is all useless speculation without knowing its capabilities and accessories, but why not generate some buzz in the absence of other info?)

Hopefully these new planes will carry introductory pricing (although small plow didn’t). Now THAT’s the kind of 30th Anniversary special we’re looking for. I don’t think I’m alone in saying LV “specials” to date have been uninspiring.

Jim B

Eddie Darby
05-17-2008, 2:54 PM
Hopefully these new planes will carry introductory pricing (although small plow didn’t). Now THAT’s the kind of 30th Anniversary special we’re looking for. I don’t think I’m alone in saying LV “specials” to date have been uninspiring.Jim B

I've been following LV tools for 25 years and you are right, they are uninspiring with their sales, but in place of that they have been very inspiring about customer service, which in the long run has built up customer loyalty, so I hope that other companies would pick-up on this important aspect, and follow the lead that LV have provided.

'Found On Road Dead' is reaping it's years of customer abuse now, while 'Jap Crap' have earned a loyalty from there customers that keeps them coming back for more.

Jim Belair
05-17-2008, 8:53 PM
No question that LV service and quality are tops Eddie. My only point was that the intro pricing helps keep me from procrastinating so I'm more likely to buy things that are "wants" not "needs"! ("Look I just saved $20 by buying this")

Socket wrench sets and pipe wrenches aren't on either list for me (and I don't expect them from my WW tools supplier), but maybe for some.

Jim B

lowell holmes
05-19-2008, 9:30 AM
But, the tools they produce are for the most part "very inspiring"! :-)

James Mittlefehldt
05-19-2008, 9:43 AM
In one of the links to Alf's blog that talked of the tote she liked, Rob Lee mentioned that they would be introducing a number of planes this year, and he did say one was due in mid to late May if I recall correctly, so I have been watching their what's new thingy every other day for some time. Don't see him around here much lately hmmm.

Have to say that yes their introductory specials may not be as outstanding as other companys, but frankly I was never much worried about that, as usually I save up money if I buy one of their tools, until I have enough cash, and it usually goes beyond the introductory period.

The last one being the small plough plane. I have been using that one lately for a project I am working on, and have to say, it is so much fun I can't believe it is legal.

Rob Lee
05-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Hi Jim -

Side rabbet and the skew rabbet pair are both due this summer... I'm just waiting a bit before I post "teaser" pictures....

This fall will see another 3 for sure, and possibly four.

There will be intro pricing on the skew rebates - and probably the side rebate too.

Cheers -

Rob

Brian J. Williams
05-19-2008, 2:17 PM
will be out when??? Just thought I'd ask. I know this is the second time, but I figured what the heck.

B

Jack Camillo
05-19-2008, 4:40 PM
Rob, please send me a PM BEFORE you release the side rabbit so I know it's coming and I don't lose sleep until then. (And I beat the crowd!) I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on your competitor's side rebate, not sure it's what I want, and honestly have been wondering why you guys didn't have one.
Just kidding about the PM (not really), but really looking forward to see what you came up with. I've needed one for a while now.
jack

Rob Lee
05-19-2008, 4:48 PM
(snip)
Just kidding about the PM (not really), but really looking forward to see what you came up with. I've needed one for a while now.
jack

Hi -

This one's pretty cool....we've made a number of improvements, and it's quite different from anything else...

I expect we'll beat the estimated delivery date - so start looking end July...

Cheers -

Rob

Jack Camillo
05-19-2008, 4:52 PM
Hell, I trust you, and I know our tools. Just send it and charge my usual card.

Rob Lee
05-19-2008, 4:54 PM
Hell, I trust you, and I know our tools. Just send it and charge my usual card.

Ok - should I put it in the box with the skew rabbet pair? :eek::D:D

Jack Camillo
05-19-2008, 5:10 PM
:D:D:D:D yes :D:D:D:D

Johnny Kleso
05-19-2008, 6:05 PM
I don’t think I’m alone in saying LV “specials” to date have been uninspiring

I would like to say that the US $ has been shrinking against the Can. $ and Rob has been asorbing those prices more that raising them for a long time..

At one point about ten years ago the US $1.00 was worth Can $1.35 thats $35 on a $100

Its more like $1 for $1 now and I am guessing thats why NO SALES

Gary Herrmann
05-19-2008, 9:36 PM
Dang Rob, I don't know what gets me in more trouble. New turning tools or when you guys come out with a new plane. I can just hear my wife now:

"We just got you a new plane. That plow thingy for Christmas. Don't all those things do the same thing?"

Actually, thats what she used to say. She doesn't like power tools. And when I showed her how to use the router plane to clean up the inside of a box for her sharpening stones, I was wondering if I'd ever get to use it again.

Michael Faurot
05-20-2008, 1:14 PM
I can just hear my wife now:

"We just got you a new plane. That plow thingy for Christmas. Don't all those things do the same thing?"

That sounds similar to what I hear from my wife, after acquiring a new plane, which goes something like:
Don't you have enough of those all ready? How many do you need?

My usual response, in this order, is to duck and then ask, "How many pairs of shoes do you need?" :)

Gary Herrmann
05-20-2008, 2:37 PM
My usual response, in this order, is to duck and then ask, "How many pairs of shoes do you need?" :)

Mchael, theres bravery, and then theres insanity. ;)

Louis Rucci
05-20-2008, 8:40 PM
I say bravery.
I'm not intimidated by my wife, or her me.

Evens out in the end.

Ethan Sincox
05-21-2008, 9:24 AM
I'm not at all intimidated by my wife, either.

(And I say that with complete confidence that she will never visit the SMC forums.)

Back on topic with the original post, I've been very pleased with LV/Veritas tools in the past and wish I had the financial backing to keep up with the new tools they're putting out.

On a second note, I find it tres cool that Rob Lee himself comments on threads pertaining to LV topics. That just adds to the great level of customer service I've always received from them.

I just wish they had a storefront here in the STL area. Then, I'd tell my wife, "Hey, I'm going over to the Lee Valley store to buy a new plane with money from our checking account - whether you like it or not!" As it is now, I have to sneak on-line at night and make sure to ship things to my work... :)

Danny Thompson
05-21-2008, 4:56 PM
I just wish they had a storefront here in the STL area. Then, I'd tell my wife, "Hey, I'm going over to the Lee Valley store to buy a new plane with money from our checking account - whether you like it or not!" :)

Even better, withdraw the cash at the ATM for "expenses, you know, gas and lunch" then march in to LV and plunk down the green. With mail-order, "Lee Valley" is plastered on your online statement in perpetuity.

Sure wish LV charges would show up as "Wal-Mart" or "Kroger."

Tristan Raymond
05-21-2008, 7:01 PM
Sure wish LV charges would show up as "Wal-Mart" or "Kroger."

My wife would much rather have me spend money on something good than some imported crap from Wal-Mart. Maybe that's the way to start the conversation.

Jack Camillo
05-21-2008, 8:47 PM
You guys are a hoot! I can relate to all these comments - sneaking in a purchase at night; the wife with the "you alreay have a hand plane;" and the wal-mart crapola! My solution, after years without one, is to make sure she gets about the same (okay, maybe a tiny bit less) to spend on her stuff.

Louis Rucci
05-21-2008, 9:39 PM
LOL - That's too funny.

My wife's only complaint is I never check the porch for packages. So she knows when I've ordered something.

Recently I ordered an 8 issue woodwoking magazine in book form, and for some reason they addressed and invoiced it to her. Neither of us has ever done business with this publisher. So I don't have to hide anything, it's mailed for her inspection before I get it. :eek:

Danny Thompson
05-21-2008, 10:56 PM
My wife would much rather have me spend money on something good than some imported crap from Wal-Mart. Maybe that's the way to start the conversation.

Just this fine evening LOML God bless her, when I mentioned I had missed out on a Powermate PM 66 on CL for $500, protested, "You act like all your tools are junk! Why would you want to replace that big tablesaw you've got now?" . . . It's a $99 Delta Shopmaster dropped into the top of my workbench.

Jack Camillo
07-10-2008, 7:49 PM
Rob, is it the end of July yet? I keep checking "new items" on your web page. Calendar moves too slow.

Rob Lee
07-10-2008, 8:51 PM
Rob, is it the end of July yet? I keep checking "new items" on your web page. Calendar moves too slow.

Hmm ... not there yet.... but I did post these awhile ago...

http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/sr016.jpg

http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/sr024.jpg

Cheers -

Rob

John Schreiber
07-10-2008, 10:42 PM
That looks interesting. It also looks odd, but we trust you.

It looks like there might be three sides to the iron. A different bevel for each side? Also looks like it is symmetrical except for the handle so it could be used from either side?

Can't wait. We are in the 2nd great age of hand tools.

Rob Lee
07-11-2008, 7:07 AM
Hi John -

That's our side rabbet - it reverses from right to left in about 5 seconds. All parts are symmetric - the asymmetry for RH/LH use comes from flipping the stop to the other side, and rotating the handle.

There are two blades...

The one shown is pre-production (though we are producing them now) as can be seen by the slight irregularity on the toe of the handle. Not e that the nose of the plane also comes off for bullnose work.

Cheers -

Rob

John Sanford
07-11-2008, 12:14 PM
I've only used a Record 073 (is that the right number??), and so I'm curious as to whether the "shoe" has enough length for good registration, to keep the plane from rocking fore/aft.

Looking forward to picking up a flight of LV planes soon.

Jack Camillo
07-14-2008, 5:16 PM
Rob,
Thanks for posting the pics. I'm liking it. If you can reveal, do tell - what's the thinnest groove that can get into? For example, the Lie Neilson are advertised to get into a 3/16 groove. On one item I make, I have a need to increase 1/8 in wide grooves (that are 1/4 inch deep) by .001-.003in at a swipe, with precision, and so the LN can't help me. A side rabbet is the perfect tool, but haven't found one yet that can do it.

Rob Lee
07-15-2008, 8:11 AM
Rob,
Thanks for posting the pics. I'm liking it. If you can reveal, do tell - what's the thinnest groove that can get into? For example, the Lie Neilson are advertised to get into a 3/16 groove. On one item I make, I have a need to increase 1/8 in wide grooves (that are 1/4 inch deep) by .001-.003in at a swipe, with precision, and so the LN can't help me. A side rabbet is the perfect tool, but haven't found one yet that can do it.

Jack -

As the beds of the plane (there are two!) are tapered, it depends on the depth of the groove...

At 1/2" in depth, the groove must be at least 3/16" wide... at 1/4" of depth - ours should go into a .120" wide groove.... narrower than the .125" you're looking for....:D

Mind you - we are talking wood, and a difference of only .005"!

Cheers -

Rob

Jack Camillo
07-15-2008, 5:32 PM
Rob,
I saw the taper and that's why I asked. I'm thinking it'll work. Thanks for the reply. And looking forward to the announcement.
jack

Martin Cash
07-15-2008, 8:22 PM
The recent edition of the Lee Valley newsletter carries a highlighted tool from the archives.
The newsletter often carries a similar entry, but on this occasion the choice of highlighted tool is interesting.
It is the Record Skew Rebate Plane, not made since 1943.
What makes this interesting is the fact that Lee Valley will be releasing their version(s) of a skew rebate plane shortly. One can only assume that the release is imminent - as this seemingly deliberate choice from the archive would appear to indicate.
I think Rob has alluded to these planes before, and I know that UKAlf has had teasers on her blog.
I wonder what "improvements" the designers at LV have come up with? That handgrip could do with some work for a start, and maybe some nickers for cross grain work.
The reviews should be interesting.
MC

Jack Camillo
07-16-2008, 4:30 AM
adjustable mouth would also be a good improvement

Rob Lee
07-16-2008, 7:36 AM
(snip)

I wonder what "improvements" the designers at LV have come up with? That handgrip could do with some work for a start, and maybe some nickers for cross grain work.
The reviews should be interesting.
MC

Ah well.... not long to wait now!:D:D

There will be an intro special on the skew rabbets, as one really should have the pair... but they ain't cheap. There's a lot going on in these planes, and there are lots of parts and tooling (as the planes are handed, each requires separate tooling). I think the price will be about $399 for the pair - but am still not 100% sure...

There is definitely a nicker on both...

Cheers -

Rob

Martin Cash
07-16-2008, 7:46 PM
Ah well.... not long to wait now!:D:D

There will be an intro special on the skew rabbets, as one really should have the pair... but they ain't cheap. There's a lot going on in these planes, and there are lots of parts and tooling (as the planes are handed, each requires separate tooling). I think the price will be about $399 for the pair - but am still not 100% sure...

There is definitely a nicker on both...

Cheers -

Rob

These planes sound like they will have been worth the wait.
Thanks for the feedback Rob.
When might we see some teaser pictures?
All Alf showed us was shavings- and was it the handle of this plane that she liked?
Regards from Oz
MC

Rob Lee
07-17-2008, 7:15 AM
(snip)
When might we see some teaser pictures?
All Alf showed us was shavings- and was it the handle of this plane that she liked?
Regards from Oz
MC

Hi Martin -

Pics are still a few weeks away - but they'll pop up once production is underway ...

Haven't heard directly myself about this grip from Alf, but the one she *really* likes is another plane...tooling just ordered....:D

Cheers -

Rob

James Mittlefehldt
07-18-2008, 6:09 AM
Hi Martin -

Pics are still a few weeks away - but they'll pop up once production is underway ...

Haven't heard directly myself about this grip from Alf, but the one she *really* likes is another plane...tooling just ordered....:D

Cheers -

Rob

........and that plane was exactly?

Rob Lee
07-18-2008, 8:22 AM
........and that plane was exactly?

Geez - there have been so many...now which one was it???:confused::D

Just a tad too soon to be talking about that one...'nother patent coming, I believe....

Cheers -

Rob
(who will say the intro price on the side rebate was pegged at $119 yesterday...)

Raney Nelson
07-18-2008, 10:07 AM
the intro price on the side rebate was pegged at $119 yesterday...

:D :D :D

And when would this intro be ready to roll?

Rob Lee
07-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Hi Raney -

Still on track for mid-august, or thereabouts....in production now.

Cheers -

Rob

Raney Nelson
07-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Hi Raney -

Cheers -

Rob

Now THAT is very good news to hear, and the price is excellent. I was expecting a good bit more than that.

Thanks Rob!

edit to add: though some part of my psyche will undoubtedly lament the loss of the 2506-induced stigmata.

Rob Lee
07-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Now THAT is very good news to hear, and the price is excellent. I was expecting a good bit more than that.
(snip)

.... ummm ...

... maybe I'd better bump it up then....:eek::D

That's the "intro" price... regular will be more like $139...

Cheers -

Rob

Raney Nelson
07-18-2008, 12:50 PM
.... ummm ...

... maybe I'd better bump it up then....:eek::D

That's the "intro" price... regular will be more like $139...

Cheers -

Rob

Did I say I expected it higher? I meant to say "$119! That's garblegarblegarble Highway Robbery - You LV usurers are always tryin to steal my lucky charms!" ;)

Intro pricing is all that's of much concern to me. Expect me on day 1 - personally i think this is a plane application that's been dying for a Veritas overhaul.

wayne Jepson
07-28-2008, 8:10 PM
I have a LV gift certificate burning a hole in my shop apron pocket. Show us the pics....you've tormented us long enough.

Kevin Blunt
07-28-2008, 11:31 PM
I have a LV gift certificate burning a hole in my shop apron pocket. Show us the pics....you've tormented us long enough.

Agreed!!!:confused:

Jack Camillo
07-29-2008, 7:37 AM
Guys
In Rob's July 10th 8:51 post in this thread, Rob posted two pics of the side rabbet plane. I think he also said somewhere in this thread that they are looking at mid August. Wonder if they will debute at the Atlanta show...

Allan Brown
07-29-2008, 5:33 PM
Check out the Woodworking Magazine weblog. Chris has a review of the new Veritas Side Rabbett Plane.

Todd Hyman
07-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Guys
In Rob's July 10th 8:51 post in this thread, Rob posted two pics of the side rabbet plane. I think he also said somewhere in this thread that they are looking at mid August. Wonder if they will debute at the Atlanta show...

I was wondering the same thing since they will have a booth!

Derek Cohen
07-30-2008, 1:46 AM
A strange craft flew in my window last night. Could it be an alien invader?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Articles/Veritas%20Side%20Rabbet%20Plane/Siderabbet.jpg

I managed to capture him and shall let you know the outcome of my interogation in a couple of weeks.

Regards from Perth

Derek

David Marcus Brown
07-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Hi Raney -

Cheers -

Rob

Have you assigned it a product number yet? ;)

Glenn Clabo
07-30-2008, 10:55 AM
See http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=60012&cat=51&ap=1

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/planes/05p4401s5.jpg