PDA

View Full Version : My coffee table

Jason Scott
05-17-2008, 1:37 PM
Well here she is after my shellac was rubbed out on the top, still some to do, but mostly complete. I am no photographer I apologize, I had to put some blankets down or the glare from the floor was awful. The top is really reflecting in the photos, I have a mug in the second shot to show the reflection. Dovetails are hand cut (first time) and stretchers are M&T. Thanks for looking.

Jason

Jim Becker
05-17-2008, 1:53 PM
Outstanding, Jason!

Gary Breckenridge
05-17-2008, 2:28 PM
:DNice work.:D

Clara Koss
05-17-2008, 3:45 PM
Well here she is after my shellac was rubbed out on the top, still some to do, but mostly complete. I am no photographer I apologize, I had to put some blankets down or the glare from the floor was awful. The top is really reflecting in the photos, I have a mug in the second shot to show the reflection. Dovetails are hand cut (first time) and stretchers are M&T. Thanks for looking.

Jason
love the coffee table and the marijuana leaf on top... just kidding ...however from far away....:p

John Thompson
05-17-2008, 4:46 PM
Very nice indeed, Jason. If you have or going to have kids... you will learn to appreciate making those legs sturdy as their instinct is to push.. pull.. pound and crawl over furniture as if it were a playground piece that is designed for that. :)

Good for you on the DT's and M&T's. Wasn't that difficult and it gets easier the more you do.

Regards...

Sarge..

scott spencer
05-17-2008, 5:19 PM
Nice inlay Jason.....nice job all around!

Mark Kosmowski
05-17-2008, 9:31 PM
Wow! That is beautiful! I like the curved arches for the support pieces. In fact, I noticed them before I did the maple leaf.

Jason Scott
05-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks guys, I wish I could take better photos, she is really pretty in person :) I love the way it feels "rubbed out", it is glass smooth on the top, never done one like that before.

Pat Germain
05-18-2008, 9:45 AM
Wow, that project turned out great, Jason. The inlay takes it up more than a few notches.

Dewey Torres
05-18-2008, 10:19 AM
I was a reader of you other thread in this table. Glad to see you finally got the finish the way you wanted. I know it must have been a ton of work. Question: Did you spend more time on the finish or the table construction?
Still love the marquetry!
Dewey

J. Z. Guest
05-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Super nice work Jason. The joinery on the aprons is very classy! I don't like the marijuana leaf though. Was that your intention? If not, be prepared for a lifetime of ribbing for that little detail. ;)

Jason Scott
05-18-2008, 9:56 PM
Jeremy,

It is not Marijuana, it is a maple leaf, I researched it before doing it, but they do look similar so I guess the jokes will come.

Don Bullock
05-19-2008, 9:32 AM
Jason, that's a beautiful table. The design and craftsmanship are excellent. Congratulations on a job well done.

Greg Cole
05-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Nice job Jason. I followed the build through the various posts.
Very well done. Like the accent around the top of the leg too.
Maybe you can call it your 4:20 table, or 4:19 got a minute table...?:D

Cheers.

Greg

Jason Scott
05-19-2008, 3:07 PM
Nice job Jason. I followed the build through the various posts.
Very well done. Like the accent around the top of the leg too.
Maybe you can call it your 4:20 table, or 4:19 got a minute table...?:D

Cheers.

Greg

Must be a marajuana joke right :D Thanks for the comments guys!

Jason Scott
05-19-2008, 3:17 PM
I was a reader of you other thread in this table. Glad to see you finally got the finish the way you wanted. I know it must have been a ton of work. Question: Did you spend more time on the finish or the table construction?
Still love the marquetry!
Dewey

Dewey, sorry didn't notice your question until now...The finish actually wasn't that bad, I just started with 400 grit and mineral oil with light sanding, then moved to 800/1000 and finished with 1500, then I put on some polishing compound which did not go well so went back to 1500/oil and then rubbed in a Meguires #9 deep gloss polish, took about an hour (just for the top) have to do everything else...

Dave MacArthur
05-21-2008, 2:55 AM
really a great table, I like the joinery on the aprons. Very well done--nice inlay too.

Bill Wyko
05-21-2008, 3:02 AM
Looks great Jason. The inlay is a great touch. Makes it perfect.

Jeffrey Makiel
05-27-2008, 6:56 AM
Very handsome table. Very hansome indeed. Nice inlay work, it gives the table a nice personal touch.

-Jeff :)

Rob Mathis
06-02-2008, 8:06 PM
That sure looks nice!