PDA

View Full Version : Question on Cutlist

Jim O'Dell
05-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Morning all! I downloaded Cutlist Plus to play with this am for my weekend project. No matter what I do on the dimensions, I can not get a 27 X 69.5 piece and a 27 X35 piece to come out on the same 49 X 97 sheet of MDF. It wants them on 2 separate sheets. I tried running the 27 X 35 dimensions both ways to make sure it would run the 35" part on the 49" width of the sheet, but it will not budge. What am I doing wrong? I actually hoped it would take all my dimensions and split them across 2 sheets, (2 separate projects) but it goes to a third sheet before I have everything plugged in. TIA!! Off to purchase the materials. (yes, I did my layout the old fashioned way to verify it all fits!:rolleyes:) Jim.

Tom Veatch
05-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Go to the "Raw Materials" tab and check the value of "LR Trim" and "TB Trim" shown for your material. Also search the Cutlist help file for "Stock Trim" for an explanation of what those items represent.

When I:
set the stock trim values to "0" for the top/bottom and left/right trim (raw material tab)
set the saw kerf to 1/8" (raw material tab)
make sure that the "Can Rotate" option is checked on each part (part tab)
then both pieces are shown on a single sheet.

Jim O'Dell
05-17-2008, 1:59 PM
Thanks Tom! I'll play with it during the first intermission of the Dallas/Detroit game that's on right now. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
05-17-2008, 3:46 PM
Tom, I don't see the T/B and L/R boxes on the raw materials tab. Do I have a different version? I know the web site said something about the latest 2009 version was out. Jim.

Matt Meiser
05-17-2008, 3:52 PM
Also, did you tell it that its OK to rotate the parts?

I'll try later--I just tried to remote into my shop PC to try it for you, but its shut off due to the power failure we had this morning and its POURING down rain right now.

Jim O'Dell
05-17-2008, 4:10 PM
Finally found it...auto rotate is checked. Material type is sheet goods, and MDF checked and no grain checked. Doesn't want to do it.:confused: Jim.

Jim McFarland
05-17-2008, 5:16 PM
Jim, can you confirm in the "Raw Materials" tab that the MDF sheet dimension is 49" X 97"?

I just tried on mine and works ok -- sheet layout is 97" length L-R:
27 X 35 rotated 90* and shown top/left
27 X 69.5 not rotated and shown top/right

Tom Veatch
05-17-2008, 5:57 PM
Here are a couple of screen shots of what my copy of CLP looks like:

(don't know why they don't display inline, but you should be able to click on the link and see them.

Jim O'Dell
05-17-2008, 9:49 PM
Jim, can you confirm in the "Raw Materials" tab that the MDF sheet dimension is 49" X 97"?

I just tried on mine and works ok -- sheet layout is 97" length L-R:
27 X 35 rotated 90* and shown top/left
27 X 69.5 not rotated and shown top/right

Yes, it shows that size. I put those two items in, and it shows 2 sheets, even in the pricing. Verified again that auto rotate is on. I don't know. I guess it doesn't matter much at this point, I've already cut both sheets up for my torsion boxes, and one is glued screwed and bradded together. Still need to cut the bracing to size for the other one, and it is going to take a while. :rolleyes:

Tom, the attachments won't show up when clicked either. If you would, send them to my e-mail address. It's listed in my profile. Thanks!

Best get back to the I-45 series for the silver boot. Jim.

Tom Veatch
05-17-2008, 10:46 PM
...Tom, the attachments won't show up when clicked either. If you would, send them to my e-mail address. It's listed in my profile.

Jim, couldn't find your email in this new arrangement of vBulletin so I'm reposting the images. Looks like they disappeared out of my uploaded attachments.

[edit-add] If the T/B and L/R trim columns aren't shown in your version, you might want to check the help file for where those parameters can be found. I'm almost sure they didn't show up new in this version.

Matt Meiser
05-18-2008, 8:58 AM
Mine is 2005 and has them. With T/B and L/R set to 0, I get both on one sheet.

Jim O'Dell
05-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Tom, all of that looks normal, except the part below the break where those boxes exist on yours. I have the brake, but nothing in that section. I've looked to see if there is a tool to add that, but I don't see it. I'm beginning to believe that that part just isn't on the evaluation version, although I don't know how one would make a decision to buy since it doesn't work completely. :confused:
Thanks for your help Tom, Matt, and Jim. I just thought it would be a good time to try the program. But I don't do enough to justify purchasing at this time. Jim.

Tom Veatch
05-18-2008, 3:35 PM
Tom, all of that looks normal, except the part below the break where those boxes exist on yours. I have the brake, but nothing in that section. ...

Jim, I see the same thing if there is no material selected. For example, in the material list (upper left) if "Sheet Goods" is highlighted, there is nothing shown below the break. However, if you expand the "Sheet Goods" list by clicking on the + sign to the left of the name, the tree should expand and show a number of specific material types. I think the program contains several predefined types. If there is nothing in the list, right click on "Sheet Goods" and a popup menu allows you to add a "New Material". All those shown in the picture I posted were predefined. I've not added any.

When one of the specific material types shown in the list, either newly added or pre-existing, is selected, you should have the table shown below the break. The MDF materials shown in the picture originally had a predefined 1" trim setting for both Top/Bottom and Left/Right. Once I set that to "0", then the layout showed both parts on the same sheet.

Edit: After a little more playing around, it seems that the L/R and T/B Trim columns in the table only show when one of the materials in the "Dimensioned Lumber" or "Sheet Goods" part of the tree is selected.