PDA

View Full Version : Harle Davidson License

Jim Dornon
05-17-2008, 9:32 AM
Well, thought I would share my HD experience. I applied for a license to make and sell Harley Davidson items such as mirrors, Christmas ornament and such.
They said no Hallmark is already doing this. I tried to state that this was a local thing for the HD rally we have here twice a year, but no. I guess it's just another way of keeping the little man down. Jim:(

Darren Null
05-17-2008, 11:44 AM
You could always make items in the style of HD. You know, similar wingy shapes and that sort of thing without actually using the words or the exact shape. Or you could go freestyle and just make items that fit on HDs but don't have the logo on.

The harley logo is dead boring anyway. I'm sure you can do a lot more with biker-friendly graphics...skulls, dragons, panthers...stuff that looks cool on bikes.

Luke Phillips
05-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Have you thought about approaching Honda, Kawa, Yamaha, etc about doing the same thing for them? Would be cool to have the rights to do stuff for "American Chopper".

Vicky Orsini
05-17-2008, 1:58 PM
Get in touch with some local riding clubs. They can get generic HD stuff from anywhere. Offering them stuff with their club logo on it really turns their cranks. ;) Just be careful which clubs you approach. :eek:

ETA: Try other than motorcycle clubs, too. Off-road clubs, dirt bike clubs, ATV clubs, etc...

Joe Pelonio
05-17-2008, 2:45 PM
Hallmark? Doing Harley Davidson! :eek::eek::eek:

Clara Koss
05-17-2008, 3:31 PM
i agree...daren has a good option there... but i was laughing so hard when i read that HALLMARK is doing HD...geez hahahaha...

Skip Weiser
05-17-2008, 3:35 PM
I wonder if these ebay items are authorized by HD? Item number 260239446399

Darren Null
05-17-2008, 4:41 PM
Hallmark? Doing Harley Davidson!
Roses are red
Violets are blue
We all got lowriders
And we're off for a brew

Jim Dornon
05-17-2008, 5:00 PM
Ya, I thought that was funny to. Must be all about the big bucks. Great ideas, thank you to all. Jim:)

Jeffrey Levine
05-17-2008, 5:53 PM
Could always try contacting Hallmark for a sublicense. If it is for a venue/event they are not covering anyway, there may be a possibility they would be interested so they could at least generate some kind of revenue. If permitted many licensing entities sublicense quite often, requiring each sublicensee to strictly adhere to the terms of the original agreement with the licensor (some of these entities don’t even have production facilities anymore, and only sublicense)

Bill Cunningham
05-20-2008, 9:34 PM
It's probably the logo I get asked for the most.. The closest I have been able get is the H.D. Owners club for various areas, the clubs have their own versions of that, and many other versions.. I have done stuff for most of the bike clubs in Ontario (the benign and the not-so-benign) and I have found the 'not-so-benign' are the best to deal with. They never give me any problems, they pay in cash, pick up on time, and have always been polite, and good customers.. Some companies are better than others.. I'm doing a 2' x 3' 6 panel mirror with the Stella Artois logo in the middle, and the customer got permission without a problem.. But he did have to promise it was being done for his collection, and NOT for resale..