PDA

View Full Version : Older Laguna LT16

marty purselley
05-17-2008, 9:10 AM
I am looking at a 90s vintage Laguna bandsaw LT-16. Any particular issues with the older saws? It has a 1 1/2 Seimco motor on it. I would be comparing this to the Jet 18" (newer version) and the Rikon deluxe 14". The Rikon would be new while the jet and laguna are used.

Thanks,

JayStPeter
05-17-2008, 1:15 PM
Laguna used to have a LT16 and LT16HD. The LT16 (non HD version) was more along the lines of the newer Jet/Rikon saws while the newer Laguna saws are more along the lines of the HD version. Keep that in mind when doing price comparisons. I think the non-HD LT16 was still a nicer saw than most of the saws out then and was up there in price, but not quite as high as the HD and Agazanni saws.

Judy Kingery
05-17-2008, 2:10 PM
Marty,

While I have not used the Rikon/Jet bandsaws, we bought a used LT16HD; very clean and at a great price, and I have to say it's a dream to use. A workhorse; ideal for my large lathe blanks just to prep, and then very versatile. I'd highly recommend the Laguna; depending on what all you want a saw to do. Best wishes, Jude

Joe Jensen
05-17-2008, 6:32 PM
The Larger Laguna saws are Italilan made and considered to be among the best, or in the top tier. I don't know if the LT16 is one of the Italian made says. Rikon and Jet are clearly in a tier below the top one. I am not familar with the LT16, as I have an LT16HD. The HD is heavier duty. Here are the specs for the Laguna LT16. It is still sold, $1795 price.

LT16
http://www.lagunatools.com/bandsaw.lt16.htm

Jet 18" with 3HP motor looks pretty nice, 420lb shipping weight.

Mark Singer
05-17-2008, 8:33 PM
If its a Meber made saw I would not recommend it. They had vibration problems and the beam distance from upper to lower guides was excessive rendering less control

marty purselley
05-19-2008, 12:18 AM
If its a Meber made saw I would not recommend it. They had vibration problems and the beam distance from upper to lower guides was excessive rendering less control

I passed on it and instead got the Rikon-it was a compromise but the 10-325 does offer a lot of bang for the buck. Reviews on this site and others were very positive. Got it assembled, but not adjusted/tuned. The manual is rather sparse and it looks like they saved some money on the stand. However, it was packaged nicely and has a nice table and trunion system. I am a total novice at bandsaws and will give some "novice" impressions with respect to the adjustment/tuneup. Thanks for all the input.