PDA

View Full Version : Rust problem w/diamond stones and water

Quesne Ouaques
05-17-2008, 9:06 AM
I have five diamond stones (200, 300, 400, 600 and 1200 grit) that I have been using a lot recently. At first I was not using anything to lubricate them, but I noticed the grit getting fouled with steel particles very quickly.

As many people suggest, I tried using water to lubricate the stones. After a while, though, I noticed that water-logged pieces of steel got jammed into the grit and did not rinse off with a sponge and detergent. Instead, they stayed there and rusted!

I thought my stones were toast until the good folks at DMT told me to clean them with Comet (or some other mildly abrasive detergent) and a brush. Now they are like new again, but the lady at DMT also told me that petroleum-based lubricants (machine oil, kerosene, etc) are a no-no for lubricating these stones. So.....

1. What do you use for lubrication on diamond?

2. If you use water, do you get the same problem that I'm getting with rust?

3. If you use oil, kero or diesel, have you seen any problems with them?

Charles Shenk
05-17-2008, 9:40 AM
I have a 220 diamond stone and I use water only. Additionally, my following stones are Norton water stones so it makes sense to use only water. Mine has all kinds of rust spots, stains, and discolorations. But it still works just the same.

Joel Goodman
05-17-2008, 10:43 AM
I often use them dry and just wash them off from time to time with a little scrubbing with a scotchbrite type pad and then dry off. Seems less messy that way.

Mike Henderson
05-17-2008, 10:56 AM
I have DMT stones and use water on them. I wash them off after use and have not had any problems with rust. Before I bought my DMT, I was warned by another user to do so (wash them off after use) or I would have rust.

BTW, the slurry produced on a diamond stone can be used with certain woods to ebonize them.

Mike

Brian Hale
05-17-2008, 12:10 PM
I've used mineral spirits for for several years now and the stones haven't rusted or clogged yet. Most of the time, if i remember, i wipe them off with a paper towel after i'm finished.

Brian :)

Dan Barr
05-17-2008, 1:11 PM
i use them dry and give the stone a once over with steel wool after use.

great at removing all the particles.

dan

Fred Krow
05-19-2008, 11:03 PM
I had the same problem with rust,,,changed to mineral oil (baby oil in the grocery store). Wipes up with a paper towel and works great on DMT hones.

Regards,
FK

Clifford Mescher
05-23-2008, 10:09 PM
I had the same problem with rust,,,changed to mineral oil (baby oil in the grocery store). Wipes up with a paper towel and works great on DMT hones.

Regards,
FK
I have had good luck with mineral oil, too. Clifford

Bob Strawn
05-27-2008, 3:19 PM
Baby oil works great, olive oil or camellia oil also do quite well.
Ballistol is my favorite now.

Bob