PDA

View Full Version : Tempest VS Grizzly I know this has been beat to death but???

Charlie T. Bear
05-16-2008, 11:43 PM
I have a guy that will sell me a Never used tempest Cyclone 2.5HP 1350 CFM DC for 400 bucks. I was planning on buying the Grizzly G0441 3 horse at 1200 bucks. I am a one man shop.

I tryed to read all the posts and my conclusion is ?????????????//

I can always switch up to a better cylcone if the tempest doest cut is but at the price of 400 bucks for a cyclone AND a one man shop can I go wrong here?

Your thoughts please?????

Bob Aquino
05-17-2008, 8:22 AM
$400 vs. 1200, whats to think about. The griz might have better performance, but not at triple the cost. The Penn State stuff is good, I have had 2 of their dust collectors so far, wouldnt say no to a cyclone. What type of filters is it coming with, bags or cannisters?

Ben Rafael
05-17-2008, 9:00 AM
Get the tempest.
If you dont like it's performance you can always sell it for what you're paying for it anyways.

Eddie Darby
05-17-2008, 2:42 PM
If you are a one man shop, then you will be operating only one machine at a time, so I would just make sure that I don't have any unnecessary ducting waisting the suction.

If you are not happy, I can't see you not getting your money back with a resale of it, since it is so cheap.

Charlie T. Bear
05-17-2008, 7:22 PM
Thanks guys, Ran it by the Mrs too :rolleyes:

Its a deal I bought it. Thanks for the replies!

Mark Kosmowski
05-17-2008, 9:32 PM
Glad the iron was still hot when you decided to strike. I hope your new toy really sucks! :D

Bob Aquino
05-17-2008, 9:38 PM
Thanks guys, Ran it by the Mrs too :rolleyes:

Its a deal I bought it. Thanks for the replies!

No Pix, didn't happen:p

Charlie T. Bear
05-18-2008, 10:07 AM
No Pix, didn't happen:p

Paid for it didnt pick it up yet:p

David Freed
05-18-2008, 7:38 PM
From what I have heard about Grizzly, I think the Tempest will probably outperform the Grizzly. They are really bad about rating their machines at peak performance.

Charlie T. Bear
05-19-2008, 9:18 AM
From what I have heard about Grizzly, I think the Tempest will probably outperform the Grizzly. They are really bad about rating their machines at peak performance.

Thats what I am figuring. The numbers on SP and CFM are higher on the tempest yet the HP is 1/2 less????:confused:

John Thompson
05-19-2008, 1:39 PM
I have the Tempest S 2.5 HP Charlie which has a better fan, etc. than the older straight Tempest... I have never used the Grizzly. But.. if the Grizzly can out-perform the straight Tempest it must be very good at $1200.

But case in hand the point is you got a fantastic deal even though it is not the newer Tempest S and the results of of dust pick-up in your shop will most likely tell you that also.

In other words.. you done good! :)

Sarge..

Tim Marks
05-20-2008, 9:28 AM

That statement might have been true in 2003-2004, but it is not true about the current line of Grizzly cyclones.

At least three independant reviews by magazines that I have read in the last 3 years reported that new Grizzly outperformed the Tempest by a safe margin. And that the Grizzly claimed performance matched the tested performance within the expected margin of error. Ironically, the PSI cyclones performed significantly worse then their claimed performance, by my recollection.

Grizzly used to make a line of cyclones that were over-hyped, but they discontinued that line in 2005, and their new cyclones are top performers and have accurate specifications.

But it is a no-brainer at $400. PSI has been making cyclones for quite a while, and their cyclone will be significantly better then the normal DC you could buy for $400 (or even 600). Cleaning sawdust and woodchips out of the filter on my DC is getting old really fast.