PDA

View Full Version : Making a mission style cabinet door,

Brian Weick
05-16-2008, 10:58 PM
I have the Freud 97-210 panel bit set - great by the way!, anyways - how would you do the mullions ? That is just to little to work with feeding it into a 3 1/4hp router~ not comfortable with doing that at all, that idea is not even on the table. Is there a way to create these mullions ? the only idea that I came up with tis create a separate cradle using the rail bit , but going vertical on a stick to use as a mate to the mullion being created~has anyone created this type of cabinet panel?
Brian

David DeCristoforo
05-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Make the cope cut across the ends of a wide board cut the exact length you need the mullions to be. Then rip the mullions to width and use a shop made jig to hold the small pieces to shape the profiles.

Brian Weick
05-17-2008, 9:05 AM
So if I make a jig using the rail coping bit (length wise) I can then take the mullion I am creating, rip the ends first with the rail bit, then run one side (the stick) on the stile coping bit ,then cut it to the desired width, rotate it ,slide it in the jig I made, then rip it through the stile bit- that should work- correct? Have you made such narrow mullions before, and did you use this method I am referring to?
Brian

David DeCristoforo
05-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Sorry, this is confusing. I'm not sure what bits you are referring to. There are two. The one that cuts the actual moulding profile is called the "profile" bit or the "sticking" bit. The one that forms the negative profile is the "cope". So, lets say that your finished mullion length is six inches "net". If you cut a piece of stock that is six inches long by random width, you will be able to get "X" number of mullions out of it (varying depending on the mullion width), right? So, you should first cope the ends of the piece of stock. Then rip the mullions (as many as you can get out of that width). If you are asking if you can shape (profile) one edge of each mullion before you rip, yes you can and yes I have done it this way. But you will still need a jig to hold the mullion to profile the other edge.

Steve Flavin001
05-17-2008, 8:05 PM
and article p. 46, Issue #189 February 2007 Country Hutch Project makes excatly the door you are referring to and show in your thread. :rolleyes:

Brian Weick
05-17-2008, 8:49 PM
thanks, ~ It's probably me, Sorry about that. No, ~ you are write about the process of creating a thin mullion. this was my thought on the process and I was not quite sure if I was correct the way I explained it. 1st step would be to cope the rail ends , as always, 2nd create a rial profile on a piece of scrap about 2" longer than the length of the mullion I would be making,-3rd, then run the "stick side (stile) as usual on the mullion, 4th ,then slip the (stick) stile profile into the rail jig, have the jig sled that i would make ,clamp it down , then run the other stile profile on the mullion to complete 2 sided stile and rial assembly. see I really like that door profile and I wanted to do it write.
thank you for your help Dave and sorry for the confusion, my fault.:)
Brian

Brian Weick
05-17-2008, 8:51 PM
Thanks for the information, I will definitely look into that ~ thank you Steve! :)
Brian

Steve Flavin001
05-17-2008, 10:02 PM
If you are a member of FW on line you can retrieve it, or I happen to have the paper copy in my grubby hands and would be happy to mail it to you - let me know, PM fine. Sorry 'bout that. :o

Leo Zick
05-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Make the cope cut across the ends of a wide board cut the exact length you need the mullions to be. Then rip the mullions to width and use a shop made jig to hold the small pieces to shape the profiles.

not nearly as sophisticated a project, but that is what i just did today making a bird feeder. had no other way to make the rails around the base, so i shaped some scrap maple board with an ogee bit, then used a jigsaw to rip to right height. was much easier, and lots of room to clamp.

though, i do see a router table in my bday future, so at least ill get to avoid clamping and hitting the clamp with the router, etc. :)