PDA

View Full Version : drill press suggestions - floor stand

Terry Achey
05-16-2008, 9:59 PM
Looking to upgrade my bench top Delta 12" to a flloor stand model. I don't really need a high-end industrial model, but don't want to be disappointed with quality either. Any thoughts on the Delta 17"? Other suggestions?

Thanks,
Terry

Peter Quadarella
05-16-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm very happy with the Steel City drill press. It's built to outlast me and has the longest quill travel in its class (6"). There's an offer on where you get a free laser too.

Cary Falk
05-16-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm very happy with the Steel City drill press. It's built to outlast me and has the longest quill travel in its class (6"). There's an offer on where you get a free laser too.

+ 1

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/products/20520/20520_tool.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
05-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Terry,

A recommendation if I may. Regardless of what brand you buy, make sure it has at least a 4" quill travel.

I am at work right now but I believe I bought Jet....I don't remember if it's a 16" or a 17".

Gary Herrmann
05-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Look at refurbished models. Full warranty and you can save a lot. I got a VS Delta for less than 300 a couple years ago.

glenn bradley
05-17-2008, 12:32 AM
I was targeting the SCTW and would have gone that way but a Delta 17-950L came along at a great price. I spent the $200 I saved on a Woodpecker table and some other accessories. Had this deal not come along I would have the SCTW. I have never missed the 6" quill travel although that is one of the things that led me to the SCTW. The split head design is the other.

Eddie Darby
05-17-2008, 2:47 PM
Right now I am looking myself at the Steel City or Delta as giving me the best bang for the buck.
The Steel City has a dismal puny table, so an upgrade is most likely called for, which a DIYer can easily do.

I use large forstner bits, so I look for a good low speed.