PDA

View Full Version : southern yellow pine flooring

Jerry Sosa
05-16-2008, 9:50 PM
How tuff is southern yellow pine for flooring. I am wanting to put down a wide floor board in my new shop and would like to know how durable it would be. I am thinking of 6" wide boards.

JerryS

Brian Weick
05-16-2008, 10:07 PM
for you~ I have this from a sight I go to on wood flooring and species characteristics ~ personally I would not use it , not dense enough. I have souther yellow in my old house currently and it is as they say " does not hold up to scuffs and dents"

Pine Wood Flooring Appearance: Color: Heartwood varies from light yellow/orange to reddish brown or yellowish brown; sapwood is light tan to yellowish white
Grain: Closed, with high figuring; patterns range from clear to knotty.
Availability: Commodity item, unfinished strip, planks
Properties: Hardness: 690 Janka Table 47% softer than Northern red oak; long leaf 870 Janka Table, 33% softer than Northern red oak. Durability: Soft, fairly durable, not as resist to scuff, & dents as true hardwoods
Workability: Sawing: good Nailing: good Sanding: Resin tends to clog sand paper, frequent paper changes are required Finishing: Using durable finishes can help minimize wear

Jerry Sosa
05-16-2008, 10:10 PM
I am looking for suggestions for flooring

Jerry S

John Keeton
05-16-2008, 10:25 PM
It was used a lot in days gone by for flooring in commercial establishments. It does show wear, and is a softwood, but not nearly as soft as white pine. Guess it depends on the look you want. It would take on a rustic, worn appearance over time, but dropping a board, hammer, or nearly anything else on it, will - as they say - "leave a mark." Personally, I would like it, but that's just me.

Daniel Berlin
05-17-2008, 1:37 AM
How tuff is southern yellow pine for flooring. I am wanting to put down a wide floor board in my new shop and would like to know how durable it would be. I am thinking of 6" wide boards.

JerryS

It's not going to break if you drop stuff on it.
However, it will dent with just your fingernail.

I've used it for stair treads and landings with a bunch of coats of good urethane on it, and it shows dents but not real wear (IE i only have marks where i've dropped stuff on it).

If your main concern is about seeing the wear and tear, go with something else.
If your main concern is about whether it will hold up to abuse without being destroyed, sure, it'll be fine. It may not *look* great, but it will certainly hold up.

Jim Becker
05-17-2008, 9:07 AM
Personally, I think it's a fine choice and it will "hold up" just fine, especially with a proper sub floor. You will get marking from mobile bases in many cases, but accepting that "patina" is the nature of the beast...we have wide pine floors in our home and have to accept that in here, too. SYP is one of the "tougher" pines, too.

Matt Ocel
05-17-2008, 7:21 PM
Jerry -

I have seen episodes of T.O.H. where they have came across 100 year old SYP. They re-finish it and it looks spectacular. Sure there is some dents and scratches but hey, thats truely character.

Jim Andrew
05-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Looking at flooring for a shop from my perspective is 1, what is available locally, and 2 at what price? Sure, it would be nice to have oak, or locust, or any other hardwood, but are you the government, so price does not matter? If you have trees that will saw, use what you have. My daughter used hackberry for her flooring in her new house, not as nice as maybe hickory, but looks pretty good, and seems pretty durable. I built her cabinets out of ash, sawed from my own land. Jim

Stephen Edwards
05-18-2008, 9:17 AM
I agree with Jim Becker 100%. SYP is known as a medium softwood. In fact, most that I've worked with is quite hard. It ages beautifully and wears well. What few scuffs and scratches it gets just add to the character. I think it would be a fine choice for a shop floor! It also looks great in homes.

I don't know about where you are but here it's readily available in 1x6 T&G. It's not that expensive, either.

Jerry Sosa
05-18-2008, 12:16 PM
That's what I am looking for, a rustic looking woodshop floor with character

I am going to go with it for my flooring. I have to look around for it or I may have to have it shipped in

Thanks for all the input.........

Jerry S

Matt Ocel
05-18-2008, 2:29 PM
Hey Jerry -

Lumber Liquidators!

SYP $1.49 sq ft.

I use Lumber Liquidators all the time.

They kick a-- on price.
The hit delivery dates.

Plus the people are nice!

Stephen Edwards
05-18-2008, 5:08 PM
That's what I am looking for, a rustic looking woodshop floor with character

I am going to go with it for my flooring. I have to look around for it or I may have to have it shipped in

Thanks for all the input.........

Jerry S

Jerry, I'll check with the local supplier here to see if he can find out who might carry the SYP T&G in your area, or who can get it for you at a good price. The last boards that I bought for a job, about a year ago were 55 cents per linear foot for the 1x6 T&G. Two boards installed side by side = 11 iches wide. So, that works out to a little more than $1.10 per SF.

Of course, I'm very near the source of of SYP. Nevertheless, I'll see what I can find out for you about getting some in your area.

Kind Regards,

Jerry Sosa
05-18-2008, 8:14 PM
Hey Jerry -

Lumber Liquidators!

SYP $1.49 sq ft.

They kick a-- on price.
The hit delivery dates.

Just checked it out yep they carry it THANKS for the tip....

Mike Wilkins
05-19-2008, 10:43 AM
If your wallet can handle the hit, try reclaimed heart pine flooring. An article in the latest issue of Fine Homebuilding highlights the current trend of deconstructing old barns and warehouses, and using the lumber to construct timber-frame houses and making flooring. Beautiful stuff, hard as oak, and has character that a stain cannot match. I have made furniture out of it and it is some good looking wood.

Stephen Edwards
05-20-2008, 2:40 PM

JerryS

Jerry, I spoke with our local supplier here. Sorry, he wasn't able to help me find a source for the SYP in your area.

Best Regards,

Barry Reade
05-20-2008, 7:16 PM
Lumber Liquidators usually has utility grade red oak 3/4" x 4" for .99/ ft sq. It has lots of charactor.

Dick Sylvan
05-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Hey Jerry -

Lumber Liquidators!

SYP $1.49 sq ft.

They kick a-- on price.
The hit delivery dates.

I bought oak for my workshop from them and was pleased with the result.

Matt Ocel
05-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Lumber Liquidators usually has utility grade red oak 3/4" x 4" for .99/ ft sq. It has lots of charactor.

I've seen it and "lots" is the key word.

When I went to the local LL the guy was actually a little embarrassed to show it to me. I ended up buying 6" x 6' planks of pine flooring for the same price .99/ sq ft. and it looks awesome.