PDA

View Full Version : Wood Shop Compressor?

Chris Alexander
05-16-2008, 9:29 PM
Hi again from Custom Millworks LLC Sac, Ca. As I am setting up my shop I have taken over a 2500 sq. ft. building that has ruffly 80 Feet of copper line around two of the walls from where the compressor use to be. The previous owner was going to let me have his 5 Hp 80 gallon compressor for a steel but when I moved in the pipe was left and me holding the bag on a compressor. Now I need to find a used or affordable, (not cheapy) to replace the one that was there to run my wood shop. If anyone can steer me in any direction for a good bang for my buck, I was told oiled is the only way to go, and do I really need 80 gallon tank to run some air hoses for air? No power tools will be attached, just nozzles to clean table tops, tools, etc. Please advise. Thanks again, god bless, Chris.:)

Brian Weick
05-16-2008, 9:48 PM
First of all - I could not agree more with the individual that told you that "oiled is the only way to go" ~ absolutely! The oiless seam to wear out - there is a poly/rubber composite gasket that looses its seal on the compression stroke and cost $20-$30 for the part alone. Personally I own 2 oiled compressors - a twin tank 5 gallon at 90 psi and a 4 gallon pancake rated at 115psi , the flow ratio is what you have to watch- the larger the tank the longer the psi flow rating.. ie for painting- long durations of constant ap through the line to the paint valve assembly. Personally I own 2 of the HF compressors - one of which I have had for over 5 years with no problem and a new pancake that I just received as a birthday present form my GF~ sweet of her , shes the best! Any how ~ I am going to get a larger tank compressor when I get around to it because I do spray on my urethanes with the twin 5 gallon compressor. It works great for cleaning areas with a blow nozzle and does a great job~ but you will find it running more often than a larger tank comp. most , if not all large capacity tanks have oiled compression sleeves because of the engineering in the wear and tare issues on the non oiled compressors.
Look forward to seeing what you get .
wish the best,
Brian

Tom Veatch
05-16-2008, 11:30 PM
Not a direct response to your post, but you might want to look at this recent thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=84164). Active discussion that might be pertinent to your question.

Chris Alexander
05-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Hi Brian, I was hopping to get like an 80 gallon tank with a 5 hp motor top mount, I need to push pressure through copper 3/4 inch line that goes around the shop with drop downs that have quick disconnects. I am just trying to find which application, or should I say brand name should I be looking for in that size since I have never purchase one before. Thanks for your input... have a nice day! Chris.

Chris Alexander
05-17-2008, 12:25 AM
Cool thanks Tom will give it a whirl... Chris.

Gene E Miller
05-17-2008, 1:03 AM
Greetings & Salutations,

I managed to get a brand new Campbell Hausfield 80 Gal
2 Cyl compressor for $399.00 at Tractor Supply and could
not be happier with it.

I also have a 21 gal portable that I got from HF that does
a nice job also.

Both use oil and I got the bigger one to use all the time in the
shop and when spraying finish.

I use the portable all over with my air nailers since I can take
it anywhere I want by rolling it around. Makes it nice when working
outside building things like the porch roof I built last summer to
go on the front and will come in handy next summer when I frame in
the back 16x20 patio and add a roof to it.

For inside shop use I would get the biggest you can afford and if
you look around you can get some pretty good buys on 60 and
80 gal units from time to time.

Gene

Chris Alexander
05-17-2008, 1:17 AM
Hi Gene, where is Tractor Supply, and could I find that deal in Sacramento, California? If you have any imput on any deals let me know. I need one yesterday... thanks so much, Chris.

Tom Veatch
05-17-2008, 1:59 AM
...where is Tractor Supply, ...

Their website - www.mytscstore.com (http://www.mytscstore.com) - has a store locator search button near the top of the homepage.

Chris Alexander
05-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Thanks Tom, located one near Sacramento in Woodland, Ca. Will be calling to see if they have a decent price on an 80 Gallon 5 hp. Get it done,...Take er easy... Chris.

Pat Germain
05-17-2008, 10:21 AM
...has ruffly 80 Feet of copper line around two of the walls ...

Sell the copper line and buy whatever compressor you want! ;)

Bob Feeser
05-18-2008, 2:04 AM
A real 80 gallon 5hp 2 stage will run you well over a grand for a new one. Used ones are available for as little as a few hundred. The old circa Quincy heads 1960 run forever.
You mentioned that you only want air to blow off tables and not for tools. Any size compressor will do that. A 6hp Campbell Hausfield will more then handle it, single stage, and non commercial rated 6hp. They go for about 4 hundred.
I think you will find that with air, you will start to use it more and more. As in you will find tools that you will want to use with it. Having air lines run, with outlets, sets you up for multiple users using air at the same time. For that purpose it is great having an 80 gallon tank, but in reality, anything less than a 2 stage pump model is not going to give you the air that you need.
Had a big shop for 20 years, had 2 80 gallon tank compressors with 2 stage pumps daisy chaining the air lines, and used ball valves so as to isolate each leg in case one popped, therefore the shop was never out of air. Hope this helps.

Don Eddard
05-18-2008, 5:36 AM
Tank size and horsepower are secondary to the CFM the unit is capable of putting out, at the pressure you need. If the pump doesn't put out the CFM you need, you'll still end up waiting for the pump to catch up.

For the tasks you described, you don't really need a lot of CFM. But, as Bob said, the more you use a good air system, the more uses you find for it. You could be limiting your future options quite a bit getting a low-end compressor, and when you do decide it's time to get a "real" compressor, you'll be spending the money again. If you need something cheap and soon, get on Craigslist and pick up a used industrial model. You're using this in a setting where you're trying to make money, I assume. You shouldn't spend much time or money dealing with a consumer grade compressor. For the same amount of money (or less) you should be able to get a professional grade compressor that still has lots of life in it.

If you can spend $1000 to $1500+, and want a new one, there are a lot of decent choices in that range. Quincy, Ingersoll Rand, Eaton, Curtis and other I can't think of right now.

Chris Alexander
05-18-2008, 5:25 PM
Hi Bob, yes I guess a two stage motor oiled with an 80 gallon tank is what I am going to look for, I wish I could find one slightly used in and around Sacramento, because funds are minimum now and new is a little steep. I will be out there looking, thanks again. Chris.

Chris Alexander
05-18-2008, 5:27 PM
Thanks Don, industrial is the only way, new is not an option just yet, will look Graig list and hope for best, thanks again, airless, chris.

David Freed
05-18-2008, 7:47 PM
I have a 5 hp 60 gal I got from Lowes 4 or 5 years ago. It can handle anything we throw at it in our shop. It can almost keep up with the 1" drive impact wrench (a real air hog) I use on my truck.

Richard M. Wolfe
05-18-2008, 8:14 PM
Don't know if it will do any good, but I just had a conversation with my partner in our wood business. He got a 5hp 50 or 60 gallon compressor from Tractor Supply for $60. It had been returned because it wasn't working and all it needed were shims to govern air flow. He called the company to see about getting shims and was told that they were not available so the company just sent him a new head for it. He figured from the looks that it could be made to go easily enough.....turns out he was right. So just like the Borg, call and see what might be available (closeouts, discontinued, etc) and if you're mechanically inclined might get a deal. (This would never happen/work for me :o)

Charlie Plesums
05-19-2008, 10:17 AM
...do I really need 80 gallon tank to run some air hoses for air? No power tools will be attached, just nozzles to clean table tops, tools, etc. ...
First, using air nozzles to clean is a bad idea... it takes the dust and blows it into the air so you can breathe it. Yes, I am guilty of occasionally doing it, but never routinely or extensively. I consider the air gun the most dangerous tool in the shop - a saw can cut off a finger, but an air gun can kill you.

In addition to my shop air compressor (not as big as I would like), I have a small portable unit that I take on-site to install trim, etc. If you are really going to use shop air as little as you say, start by hooking a small portable unit to the plumbing, and upgrade when you have more need for air.