PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbee

Reginald Burgess
05-16-2008, 7:10 PM
I've been reading posts for a while now and think it is time to join in. I've been turning once in a blue moon for a couple of years, but have only had the time to do anything consistently for about the last six months. I've moved to a place with a club. so now I've got the bug. I really appreciate the good work you guys do and the advice you give. I look forward to learning a lot from participation. Knowing your preference for pictures, I've attached a couple of things I'v done. The first is a Cedar Ikebana vase I made for my secretary from some wood she gave me. It is the first one I'v turned. The vase is 6 1/2" by 2 1/2", finished with Liberon and Carnauba, and buffed with a "high-tech" athletic sock and piece of old t-shirt. The small bowl is cherry I rescued from the fire wood pile. It is 5 1/2" x 1 1/2", also finished with Liberon and Carnauba and buffed with the same homemade implements. I'm new not only to turning, but also to digital cameras and these are the first pictures I've taken and uploaded. Sorry about the quality of the pics. Any comments will be greatly appreciated. By the way, I have a Jet 1236.

Brodie Brickey
05-16-2008, 7:32 PM
Reginald,

Welcome. Its a nice piece of cedar you have there. Did you have any problems with tear out or cracking?

David Newson
05-16-2008, 7:42 PM
Reginald, Welcome to the forum, you have some nice pieces there, and by the look of the pictures you have achieved a real nice finish, as said before did you have any problems with tear out.

Reginald Burgess
05-16-2008, 7:49 PM
Thanks for the replies, and no, I didn't have any trouble with tear out. It was a bit hard to sand, but then, I may have been doing that incorrectly too. A couple of threads on sanding helped a lot.

Allen Neighbors
05-16-2008, 8:00 PM
Welcome, Reginald! Nice pieces... and I like that Cedar piece. But I like the cherry on the most. The little cherry bowl looks like it's saying, "give me keys... give me change..." :)

Steve Schlumpf
05-16-2008, 8:37 PM
Reginald - Welcome to the Creek! Nice work so far - looking forward to seeing more! Like Allen - I really am partial to the Cherry - beautiful wood!

Bernie Weishapl
05-16-2008, 9:04 PM
Reginald welcome to SMC. Both pieces are beauties. The cedar vase looks great. Well done.

Dennis Peacock
05-16-2008, 9:40 PM
Howdy Reginal and Welcome to The Creek!!!!....and the turning Vortex!!!! :D

Bruce Pennell
05-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Welcome to the creek Reginald, very nice work keep it up....Bruce

Glenn Hodges
05-17-2008, 4:04 PM
Welcome Regie, you entered with some good looking pieces. I like cedar and cherry and what you did with them. Looking forward to seeing more of your beauties.

robert hainstock
05-17-2008, 4:21 PM
Those are a nice start for a newbie. keep them coming. :):)
Bob

Ken Fitzgerald
05-17-2008, 5:00 PM
Welcome to the Creek Reginald! Nice first turnings!

Reginald Burgess
05-20-2008, 3:09 PM
Thanks to all you Creekers who welcomed and encouraged me with you nice comments. I "hear" the wood calling in my shop, so something else will happen, soon, I hope!

Reg