PDA

View Full Version : clicking noise in headstock pm3520

roy knapp
05-16-2008, 5:36 PM
I have a clicking noise in the headstock on my pm 3520 and cannot locate just where it is comming from in the headstock.
I have checked every set screw,nut,bolt in the headstock.
The noise is like a card in a bike wheel , the faster you go the faster the noise is.

If you turn the spindle by hand with the power diconected you still get the noise and if you remove the belt tension and turn the spindle there is NO noise.

With the belt tension removed and the motor turnd on there is NO noise.
I have check both double shive pullys for any cracks or chips and have made sure that they are clean in the grooves.

I removed the digital display unit and turnd the spindle and the clicking nose was still there, i also made sure that the Four sided thig located on the the spindle was tight, this what brakes the signal from the digital read out enabling a rpm read out.

There is less noise when the belt is on the high speed set of pullys.

I dont know what else to try. :(:(:(

Scott Hubl
05-16-2008, 6:10 PM
Call Customer Service Tech Support.
That would be my first thing to do.

I have heard of a ticking noise when the pully set screws were loose.
Call tech support.

Tony De Masi
05-16-2008, 6:56 PM
Roy,

I had the same noise as you are explaining. For me, the solution was to tighten the set screw on the right side of the low range pulley. I know you said you tighten everything but I would double check that one.

Tony

John W. Willis
05-16-2008, 7:26 PM
If it has a spindle lock check that to make sure it isn't slightly engaged?

David Newson
05-16-2008, 8:03 PM
Roy, As previously said if you got a spindle lock that may be the problem, my Vicmarc sometimes clicks, and if I rotate the spindle lock pin 180 degrees it stops.

Scott Hubl
05-16-2008, 8:32 PM
The spindle lock system on a 3520B is spring loaded, so you can't accidentally start the lathe with it engaged.

You physically have to Hold it (the button) IN.

Maylon Harvey
05-16-2008, 9:43 PM
Just a thought, a frayed (sp) belt???

JerHall
05-17-2008, 1:15 AM
There are a few more ideas to check out for clicking noise on the Mustard Monster site here:
http://docs.google.com/View?docid=d4b7vjd_15djv9mx#Headstock_Noise