PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Vase

Mitchell Cholewinski
05-16-2008, 5:15 PM
Turned this vase from a spalted piece of cherry. It is 6"high and the inside opening of the neck is 2". The wood was rather punky while turning and looked some like a block of cork.I sealed with satin var and buffed on Bealls three wheel buffing system. Mitch

Bernie Weishapl
05-16-2008, 6:19 PM
Great looking bowl out of some very nice cherry. For punky wood it turned out very nice.

Bruce Pennell
05-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Very nice looking bowl, keep up the good work.....Bruce
Love the look of the wood.

Syd Lorandeau
05-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Mitchell,
Do not know why but I love the shape of the bowl!! Is it by what you had to work with or did you have that shape in mind. Very nice turning!!!
Syd

Steve Schlumpf
05-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Nice vase Mitchell! Interesting form, beautiful wood and finish! I like it!

Mitchell Cholewinski
05-17-2008, 12:38 AM
Bernie
Thanks Bern. I was upset with this thing when I was turning it. I would get it pretty round and looking good then something would happen and throw it out of shape. I have another one like this that was even worse and I was considering throwing them both out. I couldn't do it though cause I love the look of the wood and it shouldn't be thrown away because I can't make it look good. Glad I didn't throw it away though. Thanks again Bern. I was practicing with the Bedan tool I picked up today. Nice tool but not necessary in my opinion. Mitch

Mitchell Cholewinski
05-17-2008, 12:44 AM
Steve
Thanks Steve. This baby gave me fits when turning but I am glad it is finished. The wood is beautiful and that is what made me want to be sure to finish it. Mitch

Mitchell Cholewinski
05-17-2008, 12:47 AM
Bruce
Thank you Bruce and I intend to do just that and thanks for the kind words. Mitch

Mitchell Cholewinski
05-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Thanks Syd
I usually have a shape in mind and stick with it untill something happens that forces me to change my mind. This came out like I planned but smaller because the wood was punky and hard to keep round, but it turned out ok. Mitch