PDA

View Full Version : Child Prodigy... Gotta start'em young

Mike Palmer
04-07-2004, 4:51 PM
When I asked my daughter what she wanted for Christmas she said "toy tools dad". To that reply my wife said, "Brianna wouldn't you like some Barbies or something else". My daughter said "no mom I want toy tools". So guess what she got for Christmas?

Well.. I won the battle but lost the war.... She's moved on to the Barbie kick but not before remodeling the kitchen.

Mike Conley
04-07-2004, 4:57 PM
Nice - you can come do mine next!

Greg Tatum
04-07-2004, 5:14 PM
Nice - you can come do mine next!

I'm after him!!! :D

Chris Padilla
04-07-2004, 5:20 PM
Interesting mix of finishes, Mike. Is it all maple or oak and stained accordingly?

Jason Tuinstra
04-07-2004, 5:24 PM
Mike, great job. Did you build everything? Wow, great work. Fair to say it wasn't a weekend project, eh? The glass work looks fantastic. Thanks for the pictures.

Bruce Page
04-07-2004, 5:30 PM
I really like that interesting mix. Mike, you’ve given me more remodeling ideas to sort through… Thanks! http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

Ps, that beautiful young lady has a great future in the remodeling biz… after Barbie of course. :D

Mike Palmer
04-07-2004, 5:55 PM
Chris, the kitchen is made of maple and walnut. I did stain the walnut because I could not get good color consistency. Some was dark and some was a milk chocolate color. I even had a fair amount of sap. It did not provide the look I was after so I spayed on some pigment stain. Hind site being 20/20, I would have used peruvian walnut. I can by it here in the SE for less than domestic and the color is very consistent. You live and learn.

Mike

Jim Becker
04-07-2004, 8:11 PM
As to the daughter, she has the right idea. :D

As to the kitchen...awesome job! I know how much work this is to do from my own project and I applaud you on the excellent resutls. I really do like the two-tone cabinetry. It sets things off very nicely and compliments the space. Thanks for sharing it!

Dale Thompson
04-07-2004, 11:12 PM
Mike,

We learn from the young! I hope that you watched every move that she made. Perhaps the next time that the kitchen needs work, you can make some sort of a contribution. ;) ;)

The unbelieveable part is the tools that she had to work with. Cutting Oak with a plastic saw is NOT fun. I KNOW! I've been trying to do it for YEARS!

Please tell her that she did a GREAT job!! :D :D You must be REALLY proud!! :) :) ;) BEAUTIFUL JOB!!

Dale T.

Mike Palmer
04-08-2004, 8:25 PM
Jim: Yes it was alot of work as I'm sure you can relate. This was the first and maybe my last kitchen project. The design was fun and it really wasn't all that hard ..but the repetition about killed me... boring. No metal stimulation. A year of my life went into the project it but I am happy with the results.