PDA

View Full Version : Vega Bowl lathe on Craigs list

Bill Wyko
05-16-2008, 2:15 PM
There's a new on the pallet, never turned on 23" bowl lathe for 2600.00 bucks on craigs list in tucson, listed on the 13th. Is this a good deal?

Bob Hallowell
05-16-2008, 2:34 PM
Bill I don't know if it is a good deal or not but I turned on one at Bill Grumbines place and it was very nice. When I build my new shop in a few years and get some more room it will be on my short list.

Bob

Andrew Derhammer
05-16-2008, 3:38 PM
Doesn't look like the greatest deal looking at the prices of the 2600 http://www.southern-tool.com/store/vega_2400t_bowl_lathe.html

John Shuk
05-16-2008, 3:55 PM
I don't think that is a great price used but for the price new it seems to be a very nice lathe. It has features and capabilities which match lathes costing about twice as much. I spoke with Bill Grumbine about his and he really is in love with it.

Bill Wyko
05-16-2008, 5:13 PM
I'm trying to get him to do some tradin' but he's not biting yet. I don't think anyone has been interested yet though. I keep dreaming of the beautiful segmented anythings I could make with that kind of swing:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
05-16-2008, 6:23 PM
Bill the 2600 with 1 1/2 hp 220V can be had brand new for around $2195 and the 2 hp 220V for $2795. IMHO I would say either way it is not a deal in my books.

Jim Becker
05-16-2008, 8:53 PM
If it was the 3hp version, great deal; 2hp "ok" since it's unused, but not outstanding. (The warranty may not transfer which is why I say it's not an outstanding deal for the 2hp) Oh, you need to find out if it's just the lathe or if it also has the extended tailstock, etc...that might change the metrics a bit in your favor.

Bruce Pennell
05-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Bill come down to Benson and try my new 3520b and then call Sean at Toolnut and order one.:D See ya soon! Bruce
Why settle for 26" when you can pull the headstock down and turn anything you want. Have you seen the video of the guy turning the custom table base out of a 32" oak log on two 3520's? I can't remember where I watched it but he said the log was 1200 pounds, he jumps into a 350 pound pile of chips at the end of the video. It's great they used pipe clamps to hold the two lathes together. He uses the biggest gouge I have ever seen, looked to be about 3". If I find the video again I'll sent you a link.

Bruce Pennell
05-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Bill the video is Nick Cook on the Woodworking Channel (http://www.woodworkingchannel.com/dolphin/vidego_video_library.php), under Misc.

Paul Engle
05-17-2008, 7:16 PM
Bill,
if it comes with chuck/s jaws etc xtra parts tool post, etc, some nice wood .... or ???? and if it may save you the freight .... maybe, but check around first to see what ya can get for the same dollars else where. The Vega is a nice machine and you should be able to do the larger segmented stuff on it very nicely.