PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman 22401 bandsaw and Kreg

Joe Tasse
05-16-2008, 8:22 AM
Does anyone have this fence on this saw? If so, how dod you mount it? I'm trying to avoid drilling holes in the cast iron top (but it's not out of the question)

Any pics or advice would be great..Thanks all

Joe

Brad Townsend
05-16-2008, 8:33 AM
Yes and yes. I did drill and tap into the side of the table. It really wasn't a big deal, as cast iron drills pretty easy. I know others have simply mounted the rail onto the Craftsman rail, which requires no drilling at all. I decided to drill, as it was pretty easy and looks a bit cleaner. Will take a couple of picks when I get out to the shop.

Edit: Okay, here's the pic:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/btownsend/DSCN1998.jpg

If I recall, I just used the mounting bolts and washers that came with the fence and tapped the holes accordingly.

Tim Malyszko
05-16-2008, 8:35 AM
I have the 12" version, which I believe uses the same cast iron table. I do have the Kreg fence installed, which required me to drill mounting holes in the side of the cast iron table - it really was easy to do. If I get home tonight at a decent time, I can take a picture of the setup; otherwise, I will do it tomorrow.

The Kreg fence was an excellent upgrade. I also added the resaw fence guide and with the two, have been resawing successfully for a few months now.

Joe Tasse
05-16-2008, 8:37 AM
Awesome info. Gonna run out today and grab the fence. Now all I need is a guide bearing upgrade. Should be easy, I'm a big roller blade guy :)

Joe Tasse
05-16-2008, 9:14 AM
Thanks for the pics Brad. Off to get the fence now. What do you do when changing blades? Just remove the bolts I assume. Not sure if there was some top secret method :)

Brad Townsend
05-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the pics Brad. Off to get the fence now. What do you do when changing blades? Just remove the bolts I assume. Not sure if there was some top secret method :)
Afraid not Joe. Changing blades is a slight pain, as you do have to remove the rail, but it's only two bolts. I keep a wrench for those bolts stuck to the saw with a rare earth magnet so it's right there when I need it.

It's a great fence.

Brad

Scott Vigder
05-16-2008, 12:28 PM
It's a great fence.

Brad

Brad, can you provide some details how this fence is better than the stock Craftsman fence? I have not had any problems with the stock fence and thought it worked pretty well. What am I missing?

Brad Townsend
05-16-2008, 1:25 PM
Brad, can you provide some details how this fence is better than the stock Craftsman fence? I have not had any problems with the stock fence and thought it worked pretty well. What am I missing?
Hi Scott,

You're not really missing anything. It's not that the supplied fence doesn't work, or that you can't get good results with it. I wouldn't suggest that anyone NEEDS an after-market fence. I just find the Kreg fence easier to set and more solid, once locked in. Also, for a few extra bucks, you can get a fine adjustment for it that works very well. No right or wrong here; just a matter of personal preference.

John Revilla
05-16-2008, 4:40 PM
Thanks for the info Brad. I was eyeing on this fence when I was at my local Rockler yesterday for I have the 14-incher. Never had a problem with the stock fence, I thought. Bought some Incra slide and Festool instead. Godspeed.

Brad Townsend
05-16-2008, 4:48 PM
Thanks for the info Brad. I was eyeing on this fence when I was at my local Rockler yesterday for I have the 14-incher. Never had a problem with the stock fence, I thought. Bought some Incra slide and Festool instead. Godspeed.
"Incra"? "Festool"? That sounds like a great day!:D