PDA

View Full Version : Scraps and Garbage recycled

harry strasil
05-16-2008, 3:30 AM
I have limited space in my Wood Shop for storage and the small bolts, nuts and washers I use often needed a small convenient space to be stored. So I made this little cabinet with sliding doors from scraps that sits on the floor under a bench overhang and some Campbell Soup cans to hold the parts.

Duplex outlet is for size purposes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/bsmnt%20shop/canstorage001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/bsmnt%20shop/canstorage002.jpg

Simple handles are so I can pick it up easily and set on a bench for selection. Cans rest on a scantling on the front so they are tipped up in front slightly.

Brian Kent
05-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Please tell me it won't tip over:eek::D!

harry strasil
05-16-2008, 11:23 AM
If it tips over backward, so what stuff goes to the bottom of the cans, if it tips over frontwards with the doors closed the only thing that might get out between the door and the can might be washers.

Don Orr
05-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Now that's some pretty classy recycling if I ever saw it !

Jim Koepke
05-16-2008, 1:44 PM
I have a bunch of oil cans my dad riveted together back in the 1940s or early 1950s for the same purpose.

I remember them from my childhood, in my parents store full of nuts bolts and plumbing fittings.

He got all the empty 1 qt. oil cans from the gas stations around town, took the tops off and used a grommeting tool and brass rings to hook them all together.

One of my brothers says I could likely take them apart and sell them. I prefer the memories.

jim

harry strasil
05-16-2008, 9:32 PM
My Dad and Uncle in their Blacksmith shop did that with the rectangular gallon Presone Cans, but they cut 2/3 to 3/4 of the top end out so they would hold more. I still have a few of them left.

Dewey Torres
05-17-2008, 10:29 AM
I like it.:) I would have probably placed some wedges on the back (inside) to cant the cans a bit... just for those washers you spoke about. Even though, if you are careful handling it, not to tip it forward, it wont matter anyway. Great idea. Thanks for sharing.
Dewey