PDA

View Full Version : Wadkin AGS-12 Table Saw?

Chris Alexander
05-15-2008, 11:36 PM
Hi, my name is Chris and I recently purchased a Wadkin AGS-12 Table Saw for a reasonable price. The catch was that it came without the rails and fence. I was under the impression that I could find a sourse on the internet and try to buy the fence and rails for this unit. To my dismay the price I was quoted was twice the price of what I paid for the entire saw. My quest is, if anyone out there has a unit that is not working and wants to part with the rails and fence I would be obliged. The other question is what kind of "home made" retro fit can I do to get my saw up and going?
Desperately yours, Chris from Sacramento, California.

Curt Harms
05-16-2008, 9:04 AM
I have a fence on a Griz 1023 from Mule (http://www.mulecab.com/). The front rail is a C shaped aluminum extrusion and you can drill holes as required to fit a saw. If there are holes within about 1 1/4" of the top, you can attach the front rail. The rear rail is a light piece of angle about 1" X 1". Pretty flexible mounting options. May be too small for your saw but if you can't come up with a better option, you might contact them and ask if a longer fence is available.

HTH

Curt

Chris Alexander
05-16-2008, 9:20 AM
Thank you Curt, I will definitely look into the Mule rail and fence set up. I am still hoping to hear from anyone with original equiptment on the Wadkin saw, but alternatives are going to be my best bet I think. Thanks so much, Chris.

Bill Huber
05-16-2008, 9:30 AM
Curt hit it right on, I have the Mule on and old Craftsman and I did have to add some short pieces of aluminum on the front rail to get it low enough to work right but that was no problem and Mule had them when I bought the unit.

I would say there is just about no saw you could not attach the Mule fence to and it only takes about 45 min. to do it.

If you look at these pictures you can see the small aluminum blocks that lower the front rail.

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/image/75345848

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/image/83061777

To add to this the Mule is a really good fence and I like it a lot, it is easy to use and stays square in use.

Jerome Hanby
05-16-2008, 9:36 AM
I'm not familiar with that saw, but it seems that it's closer to the rule than the exception that an after market fence is better than original equipment. Lowes has a good price on a Delta fence that gets good remarks. If price is less of a concern, biesemeyer is a popular choice. I went with the Incra system and got a version that included their router accessories and 92" rails.

Chris Alexander
05-16-2008, 9:41 AM
Thanks Jerome for your input, I guess with a 92" rail you can go sideways with full sheets. I will probable only need a 50" max length fence, and popular vote today is to look into the mule line.. still leaving options open, thank you for your kind response. Chris.

Chris Alexander
05-16-2008, 9:46 AM
Hi Bill, thank you for your input, the pics are great, I am still a little skeptical about if it will retro onto a Wadkin AGS-12, I believe what Wadkin had was curved rails front and back, but I guess any rail curved or square will be fine as long as it fits properly. The Wadkin is like a 1965 Magic Bus... Heavy, bulky, strong, and powerful, it was the wellness in how this machine was built that attracted me to it. Old school I guess. If they are still around today and the company stopped making them 20 years ago there must be some merit to their existance. I was hopping maybe to find an Wadkins saw owner to get some imput too... if you know any please forward my message. thank you again Bill, have a nice day!

Doug Jones from Oregon
05-16-2008, 9:50 AM
Chris, check you PM, I've sent you a number of a gentleman that buys and sells equipment and he often times buys basket cases for the parts...worth a phone call.

Doug

Chris Alexander
05-16-2008, 9:53 AM
Hi Doug, you will please forgive my ignorance, I am a nubby to the wonderfull MillCreek site, I do not know were to find my Personal Messages yet!! Have a lot to learn yet... please advise. thanks for your response, Chris.

Jerome Hanby
05-16-2008, 9:55 AM
In the upper right hand corner of teh forum display where it says Welcome Chris Alexander, there is a link for PMs

Chris Alexander
05-16-2008, 11:00 AM
thanks Jerome, I think its easier working with wood!

Mike Wilkins
05-16-2008, 2:05 PM
Toss in my 2 cents worth here.
Forget getting an original rip fence and get a modern version. Unifence is my favorite since it is on my 1964 Rockwell/Delta Unisaw. But others are available such as Beisemeyer, HTC, Shop Fox, Vega.
You will most likely have to drill some mounting holes in the edge of the table top, but some sharp bits and patience will pay off nicely.
Congrat on getting some old arn.

Peter Quinn
05-16-2008, 2:45 PM
Ditto Mike's post. Look into a stout after market set up to go with that well made saw. I'd be inclined to stay away from anything that doesn't meet the quality of that machine as it may leave you feeling compromised in the long run. Its my understanding that Beismeyer will still make fences custom for a saw given the appropriate info, so that might be an option. Not dirt cheap but what quality fence is?

I found a few links on google from users of the AGS-12, one was a Wadkin users group! Try googling your saw, should see those links (don't think I'm allowed to direct link another site here). They all suggested the stock fence was stout but prone to developing in-correctable inaccuracy over time, might be the reason the original fence is gone. Might be a bad idea to spend on an OEM replacement in any event.

Oh, congrats on that old iron. I've used Wadkin molders, built like tanks, hold their settings beautifully. Should last you a while no? They made a sliding table version that you might be able to retrofit!

Chris Alexander
05-16-2008, 8:34 PM
Thanks Mike, 2 cents and 2 bits are worth more than you can imagine, I wish gas would go down to that again!!! LoL I have the nice gentleman that is selling and delivering the saw to my shop throwing in a General Rail set with fence for a C note. Can't complain, I guess how loud do you shout for them to hear you??? Stay cool its triple digits here and getting the shop up is beating me to a pulp!!! Thanks again, Chris.

Chris Alexander
05-16-2008, 8:39 PM
Hi Peter, thanks on the ditto, are you two related?? just kidding, yes I also picked up another piece of heavy iron and apropriated the Walkin Bell Shaper as well, It is an antique too with a 9 volt motor and three plates of spegetti and 4 buddies to move it 4 feet across the floor!!! I feel I over paid for it a bit though, $1900 for the Bel medium duty spindle moulder. I am presently setting up my new shop with new panel and breakers, I might have to get a booster for this one because it is 460 HVAC so Monday will be test day at the saws!!! Can't wait. thanks again for your imput! Enjoy, Chris.