PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw

Bernie Weishapl
05-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Well the 10" Delta bandsaw I use for cutting lidded box, ornaments, pen's blanks, etc. bit the dust tonight. The shaft sheared right at the rotor/armature. I got on the net and checked at the Delta website and they said the motor was $157 so I called. Kinda bummed me out that the motor was that much and I paid $129.99 for the saw. So I called them. The told me it was discontinued with no replacement. They said when B & D took them over they were not having any parts made for those and several other pieces. I was hot.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: So I asked about dealers close to me in Kansas or Colorado. Cheapest one I could find was $195. Would not even talk about it. I really liked this saw but can see paying almost twice for a motor than what I give for the saw.

So one question I have is does anyone have any idea's about another 10" bandsaw? Like I said mostly for box blanks and pen blanks. The wife also uses it like a scroll saw and likes it better than the scroll saw I got her. No I don't need a big one as I have the Grizzly Ultimate with riser. I just get tired of switching blades to do small jobs. I really like the 10" but have a hard time except for Craftsman or Rikon which are one in the same. Only difference is the Rikon has a aluminum table with no fence and the Craftsman has a cast iron table with a fence. Reviews on it out of 56 was 4.1. Any suggestions? Thanks

Ken Fitzgerald
05-15-2008, 10:26 PM
Bernie,

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Would you be able to find just a replacement motor and fix it?

Dick Strauss
05-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Bernie,
I'm sorry to hear your old BS isn't cooperating. If you can get the motor specs, I might have an old 1/3hp GE motor that might fit. Assuming it's a match, I'd be willing to ship it to you for the cost of shipping ($9-13). If it isn't a match, ebay always has dozens of good used motors for sale. A local motor shop (if they still exist) might have something to get you back to work as well.

Good luck,
Dick

Scott Hubl
05-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Check into the Craftsman (Rikon made?) steel framed BS's.
They go on sale and get high praise for the cost.

Can't remember if it's a 10" 12" or both at the moment.

Clancy Courtney
05-15-2008, 11:03 PM
I've got a 10" Delta with very few hours on it, and a new PM. If you're interested in the Delta Let me know.

Bruce Pennell
05-16-2008, 12:53 AM
Bernie check out Craigs List, if you can wait you should be able to pick up a 10" bandsaw used for cheap. Or a 14" I've seen lately around here for $150 -$250, delta's, rigid, craftsman, grizzly. I'm bandsaw rich because of blade changes, started with a 14" HF (keep a 1/8 blade on it for bandsaw boxes), then bought a 14" Delta off a guy for $150 had two broken trunions $28 delivered (keep 1/2" blade for curved stuff) and a 17" Grizzly for bowl prep and resawing (3/4 " 3 tpi blade straight cuts only) I just couldn't see selling any of them after I upgraded, just because of the blade changes, and the cheap price used saws go for. Hope this helps, good luck.
PS Bernie you might want to check with Grizzly for a replacment motor. I know they carry them.

Bob Hallowell
05-16-2008, 5:13 AM
Bernie,

Like Scott said the craftsman 14" is getting great reviews and you can get them on sale for around $400.

Bob

Chris Fierro
05-16-2008, 6:27 AM
Bummer, Bernie.

I have the 10" Craftsman, I love it. I think it is a little under-powered though...

I stole mine for $60, on Craigslist, for a practically new one. Still, they're a good deal new when on sale or with a coupon.

If I were in your shoes though, I'd be looking for a replacement motor. Depending on the saw you'll be able to be very flexible in disregarding the motor frame spec and rigging something up. Good luck.

Bill Kesler
05-16-2008, 7:21 AM
I'll bet if you take the motor or motor spec's to Grainger's or try www.Grainger.com (http://www.Grainger.com) they could replace it for a reasonable amount. I've had a lot of luck through them.

Bernie Weishapl
05-16-2008, 9:41 AM
Thanks for the replies. I am doing a little more research. I forgot to say that it is a direct drive and the pulley the blade rides on is mounted on the motor shaft directly with a key slot. The motor mounts to the frame with 3 bolts. If the motor shaft would have snapped out from the rotor at least a 1/2" or so my local machinest said he could have welded it and then turned it down but he is afraid where it snapped off flush at the rotor the heat from welding would ruin it.

Again thanks and I appreciate the help. Will let you know what I decide. Right now with all the good reviews I am leaning pretty heavy toward the Craftsman.

robert hainstock
05-16-2008, 11:34 AM
We've become such a throw away society that we can't replace powertool motors without dancing through the hoops. I realy do hope that it works out for you. :eek::eek::eek::)
Bob

Rich Stewart
05-16-2008, 11:55 AM
If you can get a new one for 130 bucks, why don't you do that?

Bernie Weishapl
05-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Thank you all again for your help and suggestions. I just got back from Colby (32 miles from Goodland) where they have a Sears franchise store. He told me he sold 4 to gentleman there in Colby. I went and looked at one. Pretty nice, seems well made and the gentleman let me cut a couple of pieces of wood. It handled it for what I need real well. He resawed a piece of 1 X 3 oak to 1/8" and it was a even cut all the way thru. Of course it had a timberwolf blade on it. He said that made all the difference in the world. It was a completely different saw when he put on that blade.

So went back to the Store and told him to order me one. Found out they are on sale for $149. Regular price is $189. So it will be here on 6/3. Again thanks for all the kind words, help and suggestions.

Chris Padilla
05-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Craigslist! :)

Richard DiCerb
06-01-2008, 11:39 AM
If I decide to part with my 24" Tannewitz I will let you know. It has the compressor , welder ,grinder, light ,varible speed and speedometer incorporated in it. I don't know how big your pens are but I think it will be fine. Just kidding, get you an older rockwell 14 inch with a riser block ,
and it will be something that you will never look back on . If you can break anything on it they are the same parts basically for the last 60 years.My wife gets controll of that saw on october with her friends to make xmas stuff.

Curt Fuller
06-01-2008, 11:47 AM
I have the crapsman 12" bandsaw and I'd be glad to sell it to you so I could buy a good one. I've seen the newer craftsman saws and they look much improved from mine.

Bernie Weishapl
06-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks Curt but mine is due in tomorrow.

Jamie Cowan
06-02-2008, 11:52 PM
I wish this happened to you about two weeks ago. I was scouting the local pawn shop and saw that bandsaw. I have one I bought about ten years ago from a used tool store, and nearly bought this one as a parts backup. $75. Half the price of your motor. If I had bought it, I'd have spent the last two weeks kicking myself, wondering why the heck I bought it. Well, then I could have sold it to you for what I paid for it, and we'd all be happy. Unfortunately, that's not how it worked out. Last week I went looking for hand tools, noticed the bandsaw was gone. Maybe I'll swing by again. Maybe it was just moved to a different spot.