PDA

View Full Version : London Pattern Chisel Handles for Socket Chisels?

Randy Klein
05-15-2008, 8:46 PM
I'm rehabbing some socket chisels right now and need to make new handles. I really like the london pattern like the ones on the AI's at TBB.
http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/graphics/ashley_iles_boxwood.jpg

But all that I've read about this style has been for tang chisels. Is there any reason why this style can't be used for a socket, assuming you add the tapered section?

Phillip Pattee
05-15-2008, 9:25 PM
None that I can think of, go for it!

Mike Henderson
05-15-2008, 11:36 PM
I agree. You could turn the handle first - with the fit for the socket - then do the flats afterwards. Or even do the flats on the lathe with the indexing feature. You'd need some special jig for that, I suppose.

Mike

Jim Koepke
05-16-2008, 2:03 PM
But all that I've read about this style has been for tang chisels. Is there any reason why this style can't be used for a socket, assuming you add the tapered section?

The only problem is if you are visiting a pub in London and this gets out, you have to buy a round for the house.:cool:

Seriously,

I like the look of the London pattern, but they just do not feel right in my hand.

Each person has different preferences, so if you have handled and used this style, it is a great looking pattern.

I like rounded handles more or less like the image below.
This is one of the reasons my wife and I want to buy a small lathe when we move to a bigger house.

I have a piece of wood with blocks glued to it for holding chisels that lays on the bench when I am working with chisels. It keeps them from rolling around and keeps the cutting edge off the bench. It also keeps the chisels in a relative order so it is easy to pick the one needed at the time.

jim