PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Attachment Question

Ron Hamilton
05-15-2008, 8:34 PM
I have the accuris 30w and purchased the rotary attchment, vector table etc. Yes I had problems with the Accuris at first but after 10mts got it sorted.....
My question, Is it possible to hook up by some means the epolig rotary, (with some mods) as I am having many problems with wine glasses.

The Accuris attachment as it is designed only for items that are straight sided. Focus is the problem on a slanted glass. I know that the epoligs rotary tilts to level the object.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Ron Hamilton

Jerry Hay
05-16-2008, 8:58 AM
I had to do a few pint glasses with a slant on them for a wedding. I eventually burned each layer one at a time. I would do one layer, not move the glass and then refocus the beam and do the next. I am sure it is not the best way but it worked. I have a GCC spirit
it will auto focus by color I might try that on a few to see how it works.

Richard Rumancik
05-16-2008, 10:55 AM
I don't know the mechanics of either brand of rotary but the chances of getting another manufacturer's rotary to work is not great. Usually you don't have access to all the technical info you would need. Plus it puts both the laser electronics and the rotary at risk from an error.

Did you consider mounting the Accuris rotary on a hinged table? You could make a base that mounts to the main table identical to the way the rotary would attach. Then have a second base hinged to the first along the y axis. The rotary would mount to this second base. Then you can raise it up as needed on the free end to level the glassware. A positive lock/clamping means is advised as you don't want any possibility of slipping.

You could do something quick out of wood (with drawer and cabinet hardware) to debug the concept and then get something better made up if warranted. (The concept is similar to that used on the drill vises you can buy which allow you to rotate the workpiece to a specific angle and then lock the vise.) A well-constructed wood fixture may prove to be quite satisfactory.

I am assuming you have enough z-height to permit this. If you are limited in z-height then you might need to use something like .25" thick aluminum instead of (say) 3/4" plywood.

Be very careful about clearances between the rotary fixture and the laser carriage so you don't risk any collisions.

Ron Hamilton
05-18-2008, 3:54 AM
Thanks Richard my head is still spinning with your description but it sounds interesting.This is probably one of the most frustrating about the
attachment , its inability to level a slanted object.

It is a really solid rotary to look at unlike the Epolig's mecano construct.

Ron.......

Rodne Gold
05-18-2008, 5:42 AM
We just slide a wedge under one end of our rotary that raises it, a small block or strip on the other side stops it moving on the bed

Scott Shepherd
05-18-2008, 9:25 AM
Did you consider mounting the Accuris rotary on a hinged table? You could make a base that mounts to the main table identical to the way the rotary would attach.

That's how Universal Laser deal with it since they have a heastock/tailstock rotary. There's a bracket that mounts on the headstock end of the bed (out of travel of the normal table so it never has to come off), and the rotary attachment has pins in it that ride in that bracket, allowing it to pivot on that point. You can then freely wedge the tailstock end to where it's all level.

Richard Rumancik
05-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Ron, I suppose that you can get by with the wedge method some of the time. In my experience if I expect repeat jobs or production, I try to make something that I know will work 100% of the time. If I am in a rush to do one piece I do what everybody else does (and cross my fingers), but if I expect something will be needed several times I would go through the trouble of making a reliable fixture.

Sometimes you will see people/manufacturers say that one advantage of laser cutting is that you don't need fixtures. I don't agree. Between the movement of the carriage(which causes air movement and vibration), forces due to air assist, and exhaust blower air movement, nevermind bumping and jostling during material exchanges, there are plenty of chances for the "perfect" setup to go out of alignment. If you plan to do a run of something you want it to go smoothly. Having rejects because something moved is a bit too stressful for me. You may not even realize why you are getting fuzzy engraving but it can be a result of small vibrations. Keep in mind that a raster dot is maybe .003" diameter. If you have .001-.003" part motion due to air/vibration etc you will have misplaced dots.

I suggest that when you have some downtime, work on designing and making some proper fixturing and you won't regret it.

The device I was suggesting does not have to be expensive or complicated. Yes, it does take a bit of time. A lot of fixtures can be made using the laser and/or standard woodworking tools. Many times I design a fixture around a part in Corel or AutoCad and then "plot" the fixture outline/holes on 1/2 or 3/4 baltic birch and cut it and drill it with wood working tools.

Sorry if the description was not quite clear. Do an image search on "angle vise" and you will see how a workpiece can be angled to an arbitrary angle for drilling, milling etc. It is a similar idea. My concept was just two boards with a hinge along the left (y) axis (maybe a piano hinge). The bottom would be secured to the table (possibly using the rotary mounting holes) and the rotary fixture secured to the hinged moveable half. There are devices for holding box lids open that might work. You may need to add a wingnut or similar to hold the position. Or use a wedge, but have one or two bolts that secures the top movable section to the base so the angle doesn't change once it is set.

Ron Hamilton
05-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the imput, I was having a look at the other rotary attachments for various machines and came across the Trotec attachment. This is what I need to do to the one I have with the Accuris 14 30w,

If anyone has the trotec rotary attachment and could post some pics as to the leveling system I would be gratefull. I am surprized the ILS\Accuris had not put any thought into this problem.:rolleyes:

Ron......