PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Engaving

Robert Rosensteel
05-15-2008, 8:06 PM
My Sister just brought back a order form from Walmart with some different gifts. That show photo's in laser etched glass. The order form shows 6 different glass items from key chains to lighted base 5x7 flat glass. Has anyone see there finished product,they look very good on the form. And are they using a special type glass?

Stephen Beckham
05-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Robert - I talked to my mother about it when she asked...

I went to see their advertisements. The funny thing is if you look at the photos, you'll see whites, greys and some blacks in their glass etching...

Hmmm... I'd love to see their finished product.

David Lavaneri
05-17-2008, 1:01 PM
Robert,

I haven't seen the ad, but I suspect the engraving is done with the type of laser that fires inside the glass (3-D), and the glass is probably optic crystal.

Used to be a pretty mysterious and expensive process, but is now becoming much more commonplace.

David "The Stunt Engraver" Lavaneri

James Aldrich
05-17-2008, 2:45 PM
Our local Wal-Mart has a small display of the etched products. They do look like they were engraved on the inside. From 10 feet away they look great, but the closer you gey not so great. The dots have a lot of spacing. I would put an etching from anyone here at the Creek up against there product. The Creek would win hands down. There detail is low. It may be the type of engraving, I dont know. I personaly do not like it. If you have never realy seen (good, not always great) laser etching before, their product would be neat and unique.
Jim

David Lavaneri
05-17-2008, 7:35 PM
James,

Sub-surface engraving, such as you saw, uses a simplified approach to the input. I've seen very impressive examples of truly 3-D images, inside glass, which required much more sophisticated programming. Usually in a tight wireframe pattern.

The looser pattern you saw requires much less engraving time as well.

David "The Stunt Engraver" Lavaneri

Craig Hogarth
05-18-2008, 2:16 AM
I offer the same product using the same company that walmart does. My pricing is a bit higher than walmart, but I can offer a much wider variety of shapes, sizes and 3d imaging as well.. I've only used them a few times, and the longest it took to receive the product was about 18 days, I think. Walmart has a turn around of 4 to 6 weeks and a limited selection. It's not a lot of money, but it gets me a customer and there's virtually no work on my part.

I have no problem sharing this information as long as you're outside of my marketing area. Feel free to pm me and I'll get back to you when I'm on.

Ed Newbold
05-18-2008, 9:26 PM
I offer the same product using the same company that walmart does. My pricing is a bit higher than walmart, but I can offer a much wider variety of shapes, sizes and 3d imaging as well.. I've only used them a few times, and the longest it took to receive the product was about 18 days, I think. Walmart has a turn around of 4 to 6 weeks and a limited selection. It's not a lot of money, but it gets me a customer and there's virtually no work on my part.

I have no problem sharing this information as long as you're outside of my marketing area. Feel free to pm me and I'll get back to you when I'm on.Where's your marketing area? Thanks,

David Takes
05-19-2008, 12:51 AM
Craig,

Are you using Precision Laser Art? It is my understanding that they do the work for Sam's Club, but it could be just the pre-determined off-the-shelf designs that they sell them.

I will tell you that they do excellent work, and do it quickly. Custom work taking 18 days would be unusual for them.

Craig Hogarth
05-19-2008, 4:58 PM
Where's your marketing area? Thanks,

oops, NW Washington state.