PDA

View Full Version : HDMI Cables

Peter Stahl
05-15-2008, 6:19 PM
I think I may need a new TV soon so I'm thinking ahead. Warranty ran out 3 months ago, go figure. Old set (Rear Projection) had Component cables, below are some questions I have about cable:

Will a HDMI cable give a better/best picture?

What brand cables do you use?

What did you pay for them?

Where to buy?

What length would you recommend? (Not sure if it will be wall hung or not)

Are CL2 rated what you use for in wall?

If you think of anything else I should know please let me know.

thanks, Pete

Jason Roehl
05-15-2008, 6:21 PM
Monoprice.com and no, you don't have to spend a bunch of money. $10-15 for a 6' cable is plenty. Whatever you're doing with A/V equipment, you always want to keep your cables as short as you reasonably can.

Roger Ronas
05-15-2008, 6:36 PM
High Peter,
I would agree with what Jason has already said and add this.

I've seen them on Amazon for about 1-2 dollars (yes that's right) and they are as good as the high dollar cables. With digital cabling there is no quality issue (per se) if your getting a signal then a higher dollar cable won't improve it.
Make sure all equipment your getting and sending signals to are digital to get the best signal.

HTH
Roger

I think I may need a new TV soon so I'm thinking ahead. Warranty ran out 3 months ago, go figure. Old set (Rear Projection) had Composite cables, below are some questions I have about cable:

Will a HDMI cable give a better/best picture?

What brand cables do you use?

What did you pay for them?

Where to buy?

What length would you recommend? (Not sure if it will be wall hung or not)

Are CL2 rated what you use for in wall?

If you think of anything else I should know please let me know.

thanks, Pete

Randal Cobb
05-15-2008, 7:51 PM
HDMI currently provides the best picture of any cable mechanism. Followed closely by composite, then S-Video.

I've tried the expensive cables and the cheap ones and I can't see the difference at 1080p from both a Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Go for the cheap ones, or worst case, hit your local WallyWorld and pick up the $10 ones they sell. The only thing you may need to worry about is interference from magnetic sources... I had one cable that was routed close to my powered sub-woofer and every time there was an explosion or something that really kicked up the bass, the picture would get fuzzy (like rain-fade from a satellite system). As soon as I moved it away from the woofer, it stopped doing it.

Tim Morton
05-15-2008, 8:23 PM
HDMI currently provides the best picture of any cable mechanism. Followed closely by composite, then S-Video.

I think you meant to say "component" and not composite;)

Tim Morton
05-15-2008, 8:25 PM
I tend to buck the trend of monoprice cheapo cables and get most of mine from BluejeansCable.com. Call me a snob, but I also like good beer, good whiskey..and good coffee:D

Randal Cobb
05-15-2008, 9:07 PM
I think you meant to say "component" and not composite;)

Yes, I did indeed mean "component", not "composite"... had to be the beer with dinner.... yeah, that's the ticket... the beer with dinner.... dinner with Morgan Fairchild... yeah, that's the ticket.

Seriously, I did mean component (YPbPr), not the single composite.

Peter Stahl
05-15-2008, 9:55 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far. Looking like less expensive HDMI is way I'll probably go. Definitely not Monster cables, those things are expensive!

Steven Hardy
05-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far. Looking like less expensive HDMI is way I'll probably go. Definitely not Monster cables, those things are expensive!
High priced cables....now theres a lucrative business!!!:p

Mike Henderson
05-16-2008, 12:02 AM
The signal on HDMI is digital (as far as I know). The difference between digital and analog signals is that digital either works or not, while if analog is degraded you can usually see the difference.

Let me give an example (not valid in the real world). Let's say that a logic 1 is one volt and a logic 0 is zero volts. If the signal received is 0.8 volts, the system will interpret it as a logic 1. It doesn't matter that the signal was not really one volt - the information transferred was correct.

The signal would have to get to somewhere around 0.5 volts before the system would get confused. And even then, many digital transmissison systems use something called forward error correction where some extra bits are added to a "block" and those bits can be used (through a complex algorithm) to correct (not just detect) a certain number of bits in error. I'm not familiar with HDMI so I don't know for sure if it implements FEC.

As long as the cable meets the specifications for the communication system, you'll get good performance. Going with some "super cable" is just a waste of money and will generally not provide any improvements in digital transmission. As Jason pointed out, the best thing you can do is keep the cable short. In general, digital transmission either works or it's miserable - there's no in-between.

Mike

Jeffrey Makiel
05-16-2008, 6:51 AM
Jason,
Make sure the new TV you're buying has two HDMI inputs. Many only have one. You need one for the cable/dish converter box and one for the DVD player.

My HDMI cable cost $11.00. I also use component cables which are OK too. The broadcast quality on most of my non-high definition channels (which is the majority of the channels) is poor to begin with.

-Jeff :)

Jason Roehl
05-16-2008, 8:39 AM
Psst...Peter is the one buying the new TV...my LCD is pushing 18 months old now. (And has 2 HDMI inputs...) From what I've seen, quite a few HDTVs being sold now have 3 and up HDMI inputs.

Greg Narozniak
05-16-2008, 8:44 AM
As others have said Monoprice is the way to go. Excellent cables at Unreal Prices.

If that sounds "Too Cheap" then bluejean cables is the way to go. But I never saw the need. I have a 100" 720P projector setup running 7.1 sound and all my cables are from Monoprice. It looks and sounds as good or better than the ones I see at the higher end home theater shops running thousands of dollars is cables.

Anyone who pays the insane prices for "moster" type cables is either foolish or they have $$$ to burn.

Speaker Cables are the biggest misconception, you can use Lamp cord from the big box store and they will perform the same as the big $$$ ones.

It's all Marketing BS

Russ Filtz
05-16-2008, 8:49 AM
The signal on HDMI is digital (as far as I know). The difference between digital and analog signals is that digital either works or not, while if analog is degraded you can usually see the difference.

Mike

True, I remember a test someone did on an audiophile website for digital audio (over wire, not toslink). They tested a high end digital audio cable vs a clothes hanger from a dry cleaner. The clothes hanger did just fine!

Jim Becker
05-16-2008, 9:06 AM
You absolutely want to use HDMI if it's available to you on your equipment. If you have Cable, for example, make sure your HD STB has HDMI and if not, "trade it in" for a current generation box. Be careful with some audio equipment that includes HDMI switching. Some will only pass through the HDMI and require you to provide a separate audio connection via digital fiber/coax for surround support.

But the others are correct, you do not need an expensive HDMI cable. That might pay for very, very, very long runs in a major HT setup, but for most folks who are only using a meter or three of cable, there will be no effective difference.

Jeffrey, my new 82 series Aquos has three HDMI inputs...but I only use one. The HT receiver does the source switching. I did put a second HDMI cable in the wall just in case I ever need a second direct connection to the TV, however...the ports are inaccessible on my unit once it's on the wall mount.

Peter Stahl
05-16-2008, 2:00 PM
My cable box does have a HDMI port and will get a HiDef DVD eventially so a HDMI for that is important. Also need the Component inputs for my old DVD recorders I still use. If I hold off a year or so I might be able to get a 2160p TV, who knows huh, lol. I think monoprice's cables look good. I've only bought printer and USB extension cables from them. The last cables I bought were Acoustic Reaseach which were way cheaper than Monsters. Didn't know about monoprice then. Thanks for all your input (pun intended) and keep them coming. This site is great and there are people with a wide range of interest and expertise.

Pete (a.k.a. Jason)

Chris Padilla
05-16-2008, 2:32 PM
Cool, a place for reasonably priced HDMI cables...works for me. As a recent acquirer of a new 42" Panasonic Plasma and upgrader of my Dish Network to HD, I'm absolutely FLOORED by how nice HD channels are. It is quite stunning....

Rob Russell
05-16-2008, 3:24 PM
Chris,

How do "regular" channels look on the hidef screen?

Pat Germain
05-16-2008, 3:40 PM
Cool, a place for reasonably priced HDMI cables...works for me. As a recent acquirer of a new 42" Panasonic Plasma and upgrader of my Dish Network to HD, I'm absolutely FLOORED by how nice HD channels are. It is quite stunning....

Congrats on the Panasonic, Chris. I've had a Panasonic 50" plasma for about 18 months. You're right. It is stunning! I don't know why more people don't consider a Panasonic. The only picture I've ever seen which was any better than mine is a Pioneer; and it's twice the price. I think Panasonic offers a very good value for plasma. For LCD, it seems Sony has the best thing going.

FYI, non-HD channels will look fine on a HD TV if you set the aspect ratio correctly. Most people insist on filling the screen on a widescreen TV no matter what. Since a non HD picture just isn't as wide, people "morph" the picture. This stretches everything out and gives a distorted appearance as well as degrades the picture quality. I usually display a non-HD picture with gray bars on either side to maintain the correct aspect ratio. Some people are paranoid of causing burn-in by doing this. That problem was more common in older plasma TVs. I haven't had any burn-in on mine.

Eric DeSilva
05-16-2008, 3:43 PM
I wouldn't go overboard on all cables are equal. They aren't, and HDMI has a limited range because its very high bandwidth. I wouldn't spend too much on DVI or HDMI cables, and wouldn't pay for hype (i.e., monster), but I wouldn't buy junk either. Digital is not on or off--the bits are, but transmission errors are anticipated so the modulation is intended to degrade gracefully--the signal degrades by creating blocking. A bad cable can increase that, especially if you go longer distances.

I'll second blue jeans cable as good value, good quality, and sans hype.

Jim Becker
05-16-2008, 3:59 PM

The answer to that depends up certain things, such as is there any up-converting going on, if the content provider is using excessive compression or not to fit them in their channel lineup and how well is the intelligent stretch mode for the particular TV designed if you choose to display them in 16:9. (Your 4:3 override settings) In my experience, some SD channels look fine on a high-resolution screen and some of them will not look good no matter what you display them on. SD channels do tent to look better on the smaller displays for obvious reasons...

I've never looked at SD material on the Panasonic that Chris has, but have had good results with both of my Aquos sets; a 30" from 2003 that is now in our bedroom and the new 52" in the addition.

Chris Padilla
05-16-2008, 5:06 PM
I actually had an older HDTV (2001 Panasonic Tau, 36", CRT, 212 lbs. boat anchor) that was great but the plasma is so much more lively and detailed. The SD channels come in fine but it is night 'n day compard with the HD channels. Still, the SD channels are fine. There is plenty of content still not delivered in HD.

Jeffrey Makiel
05-17-2008, 11:40 AM

For me, the non-HD channels look better (that is, clearer) on a 20 year old tube TV than it does on my HD TV. The HD channels are superb, but most stations are still non HD.

I found this issue to be quite common in my area and likely a local issue with the cable provider. I've heard nothing but good things about FiOS though. It's just not available by me yet.

Mike Henderson
05-17-2008, 12:18 PM
For me, the non-HD channels look better (that is, clearer) on a 20 year old tube TV than it does on my HD TV. The HD channels are superb, but most stations are still non HD.-Jeff :)
I find the same thing. I'm on Cox. Any analog station looks better on a CRT than on a flat screen. don't know why.

Mike

Tim Morton
05-17-2008, 12:25 PM
For me, the non-HD channels look better (that is, clearer) on a 20 year old tube TV than it does on my HD TV. The HD channels are superb, but most stations are still non HD.

I found this issue to be quite common in my area and likely a local issue with the cable provider. I've heard nothing but good things about FiOS though. It's just not available by me yet.

Alot of the reason for this is that with HDTV's you are ussually viewing the SD picture on a HDTV that is at least double the size of your crt. If you shrunk the sd picture down to 27" on your HDTV you might find they look similar.

Mike Henderson
05-17-2008, 5:48 PM
Alot of the reason for this is that with HDTV's you are ussually viewing the SD picture on a HDTV that is at least double the size of your crt. If you shrunk the sd picture down to 27" on your HDTV you might find they look similar.
Not in my case. We view most of our TV in the kitchen. We had a small CRT TV that would just fit under the cabinets. It finally died and we went out and bought a flat screen that would just fit under the cabinets. The flat screen is a bit wider but no higher than the CRT, but standard TV is shown with black bars on the side - so the visible area is about the same.

Regular analog TV is not as good on the flat screen as it was on the CRT.

I will say that standard definition digital channels are better than the analog channels.

Mike

Peter Stahl
05-18-2008, 5:47 AM
My TV is the same way. Digital channels are better on the CRT TV's. Once everything has to go digital next year we should see a better picture even though Comcast in my area says everything that goes through the box is digital.

Jim Becker
05-18-2008, 9:35 AM
My TV is the same way. Digital channels are better on the CRT TV's. Once everything has to go digital next year we should see a better picture even though Comcast in my area says everything that goes through the box is digital.

"Everything going digital next year" applies to over the air broadcasts, although many cable providers are using it as an excuse (with very creative and misleading wording) to begin to force consumers to have an STB for every TV in the home. The cable system my father is on in central Florida is doing just that...they got a waiver on the actual regulations and are forcing everyone in their patch to pay rental on a box for every TV each month, but are representing it as "required" by the govt. When he showed me the notice, I could not believe my eyes at how blatantly dishonest they were being. The true reason for cable switching to all digital is that it frees up more space for additional content, including more HD channels.

It's true that the signals supplying your Comcast STB are digital, but the content below channel 48 (I believe that number is correct) still comes from an analog feed and is still available in most places directly off the cable without an STB. Those channels "should" improve in quality once the actual feed for them is digital and should upconvert better for the new high resolution screens, but they will still seem quite grainy in most cases simply because there isn't enough granular information to display optimally on the newer technology.

Pat Germain
05-18-2008, 9:57 AM
"Everything going digital next year" applies to over the air broadcasts, although many cable providers are using it as an excuse (with very creative and misleading wording) to begin to force consumers to have an STB for every TV in the home.

Boy, there is no end to slimeballs trying to con people with the word "government". The fact our government does a lousy of job of communicating things makes conning people easier.

No doubt local TV stations are trying to figure out a way to charge people for the new digital broadcast.

Jeffrey Makiel
05-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Tim,
As Mike pointed out, I too have a small 15" flat panel LCD in my kitchen and the picture is worse than the 42" plasma TV regarding non HD channels.

It's very disappointing when I invested in modern technology and it's worse than what I had 30 years ago. I have a feeling my cable provider, Comcast, has a lot to do with my problems. I'm anxiously awaiting for FiOS.