PDA

View Full Version : Krenov cabinet finished...

Terry Bigelow
05-15-2008, 5:19 PM
...mostly! Just have to install bullet catches for the doors which won't be here until tomorrow. I made this for my mom as a mother's day gift. She has no idea:D. This was by far my most challenging project with a lot of firsts. Including knife hinges, legs (of any kind), making my own hardware and working with spalted maple. Thanks to some wonderful fellow Creeker's I was able to tackle the knife hinges(http://70.169.135.35/showthread.php?t=78579). The cabinet is Mahogany with spalted maple panels, walnut drawer fronts, curly maple drawer boxes and ebony pulls and knobs. The two sides have some great "beeswing" figure and I was a little concerned about them not matching the rest of the cab, but I'm pleased with the overall look. More importantly I know my mom will be overjoyed. The finish is Tung oil and wax. I would like to thank the wonderful member's of this site for both instruction and inspiration. Thanks for looking!

Terry Bigelow
05-15-2008, 5:22 PM
...more shots of the interior:

Tony Cox
05-15-2008, 5:24 PM
Great job. I really like the different woods and how they look together. I am sure Mom will be very happy.

Tony

Jim Becker
05-15-2008, 5:26 PM
Outstanding work, Terry! Lucky mom!

Keith Starosta
05-15-2008, 6:06 PM
Terry, that is beautiful!!! I love the way all the woods look together.

Could you provide some dimensions, for the cabinet alone, and the overall size?

Also, did you assemble the handmade drawer pulls before attaching them to the drawers? How did you attach them?

Again...great job!!

- Keith

John Thompson
05-15-2008, 7:02 PM
Excellent job, Terry. It's definitely Kresnov down to the handles.. book matching in the door insets and grain matching on the sides. Very.. very well done job.

Regards from up the road in L'ville...

Sarge..

Jim Tobias
05-15-2008, 8:49 PM
Everytime I see a Krenov inspired piece, I am reminded why he is so highly regarded. You have done the design justice with your piece. It is fantastic and your Mom will certainly appreciate the love and effort that went into it.
It keeps reminding me that I want to attempt one of his cabinets one day! Great work!!

Jim

gary Zimmel
05-15-2008, 9:06 PM
Terry

Very, very nice.... Mom is going to love what you have built for her.

Excellent job on a sweet looking cabinet!

mreza Salav
05-15-2008, 11:53 PM
A job very well done in every aspect! You should be very proud and I am sure you'll enjoy it even more when your mom sees it and gets excited!

NICK BARBOZA
05-16-2008, 9:12 AM
i like that cabinet alot! i have some spalted, bird's eye panels like that and have thought about making a similar cabinet. its on the "to-do" list.

great job!!!! your mom will be very proud.

Cheers,
Nick

Heather Thompson
05-16-2008, 9:52 AM
Terry

Beautiful work, any idea of how many hours it took to complete? I took a six week class a few years back and a student built something along the same line, she worked her butt off six days a week and came in just under the wire. :D
I bet your mom cried when she received her Mothers Day gift, very thoughtful and and fantastic job of design and execution.

Heather

Khalid Khattak
05-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Nice cabinet:)... if u have some carving it would turned out great

Michael Hammers
05-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Terry,
That is one pulchritudinous piece of fine furniture :D
I love Krenov design and execution and I have to say it looks as if you stuck the landing.
Keep it up!

Bill Wyko
05-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Fantastic job Terry. Quite an inspiration. Keep up the great work.:)

Terry Bigelow
05-16-2008, 4:55 PM
Thanks for all the warm words guys (and gals)!

Keith-the dimensions of the cab are 30"h x 19 3/4"w x 12"d
the overall height is 65 1/2"
As for the hardware yes, I did assemble them prior to attaching them. I predrilled through the drawer front dead center, then predrilled the back of the hardware into both the mahogany part and into the ebony. I dabbed a small amount of epoxy for good measure too. I don't know if you can tell by the pics but there is actually a small maple pin driven through the two mahogany sides and the ebony to hold the pulls and knobs together.
Heather-I always wonder how people figure out how many hours it takes to complete a project! I don't know exactly but I would guess maybe 150 hours, maybe more, maybe less(not sure if I should count some of the time I spent watching the NHL playoffs on the oh-so-taboo shop TV:D between cuts)? I have a 2 year old son and my wife and I own a kitchen cabinet business that keeps us plenty busy so my "home" projects are relegated to a couple hours a night and a few on the weekend. But I guess that's probably the case with most folks! I started it in late Feb(I think) and was slow going at it but really picked up the pace here recently. Oh, and my mom hasn't actually gotten this yet. She was sick on mother's day. I'll be driving up to Atlanta to deliver with my son tomorrow. Can't wait.
Thanks again for all the kind words, Terry

Dave MacArthur
05-21-2008, 3:00 AM
wow, that is just a fantastic piece!! GREAT spalted doors, and some beautiful detail. I really like that you used wood to make the pulls, what an artistic touch you have!

Craig D Peltier
05-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Thats is very nice. I like your design. I have seen a cabinet very similiar to this recently either here or in a WW mag.

Brent Ring
05-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Absolutely Stunning! Any plans available?

Danny Thompson
05-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Love that Cabinet, Terry!

Walt Caza
05-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Hi Terry,
I have heard it said that the devil is in the details...
(also heard it the other way... God is in the details)
Either way... You have definitely taken care of the details on this beauty!
Super work, thanks for sharing pics,
keep up the great work,
Walt
:)

Walt Caza
05-22-2008, 12:28 PM
This just in.....
Hey Terry, what are you working on next?
Can't wait to see it,
please get us some pics...
you can't rest on your laurels forever!! (jk)
pass it on, if you wanna play along
let's spin up a little fun!
W

Jeffrey Makiel
05-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Absolutely gorgeous!
-Jeff :)