PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Cabinet

Mike Conley
04-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Here are some pictures of a Cherry Cabinet that I built this winter.

Construction is based on Woodsmith Issue 140.

http://store.yahoo.com/backissuesstore/wsback140.html

Finish is Sam Maloof's Poly/Oil.

Lee Schierer
04-07-2004, 12:40 PM
Good work. It looks great. I love Cherry with a natural finish. Looks like another heirloom to be.

Chris Padilla
04-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Nice clean design. I like the fluted glass...I am thinking to do something similar for my EC. Is the glass totally recessed or can it be taken out the back easily? I am debating which way to go just in case it ever breaks.

Mike Conley
04-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Nice clean design. I like the fluted glass...I am thinking to do something similar for my EC. Is the glass totally recessed or can it be taken out the back easily? I am debating which way to go just in case it ever breaks.

The glass is held in place by small strips of wood on the back side held in place by brads. So if it is broken, it can be taken out.

This design based on the bookcase in Woodsmith issue 140

The Woodsmith bookcase had 4 doors. I basically made half of the cabinet.

Mark Mazzo
04-07-2004, 1:13 PM
Mike,

Nice work on the cabinet. Cherry is one of my favorite woods to work with.

It looks like you have audio/video components inside...does the wavy glass affect the reception of the IR remote control signal for the components?

-- Mark

Mike Conley
04-07-2004, 1:27 PM
Mike,

Nice work on the cabinet. Cherry is one of my favorite woods to work with.

It looks like you have audio/video components inside...does the wavy glass affect the reception of the IR remote control signal for the components?

-- Mark

Thanks -

It is a receiver and a 6 disc CD player. We never use the remote our Audio components so I don't know if it interferes or not.

My wife had bought an entertainment center about a year and a half ago but it did not have room for our audio equipment, so she wanted something to put the receiver and CD player in.

Jason Tuinstra
04-07-2004, 1:28 PM
Mike, great lookin' cabinet. The fluted glass and the nickel (?) knobs contrast very nicely with the cherry. Thanks for showing it off.

John Miliunas
04-07-2004, 1:41 PM
GREAT lookin' cabinet, Mike! But, details man. We *crave* details! Personally, I'm particularly interested in the finish and method(s). I just landed about 250 brd./ft. of Cherry last weekend, which is destined primarily for trim. It appears to me you've avoided the infamous "blotching" and such on your piece. Really would appreciate additional info. BTW, as others have stated, the fluted glass is a wonderful touch! Nice detail work, too! :cool:

Mike Conley
04-07-2004, 2:11 PM
GREAT lookin' cabinet, Mike! But, details man. We *crave* details! Personally, I'm particularly interested in the finish and method(s). I just landed about 250 brd./ft. of Cherry last weekend, which is destined primarily for trim. It appears to me you've avoided the infamous "blotching" and such on your piece. Really would appreciate additional info. BTW, as others have stated, the fluted glass is a wonderful touch! Nice detail work, too! :cool:

Thanks -

Finish is nothing fancy or hard. It is just 3 coates of Sam Maloof's Poly/Oil buffed with steel wool between each coat.

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?&offerings_id=2004#moreinfo

Construction is based on Woodsmith Issue 140.

Lars Thomas
04-07-2004, 2:50 PM
That some good looking work. Nicely done. Any construciton details to share? Thanks for posting. Lars

Daniel Rabinovitz
04-07-2004, 3:24 PM
Mike
The cabinet is absolutely beautiful.
Daniel :cool:

Mike Conley
04-07-2004, 3:37 PM
That some good looking work. Nicely done. Any construciton details to share? Thanks for posting. Lars

Thanks - see reply to John Miliunas above your post for details

Jim Becker
04-07-2004, 3:42 PM
Beautiful, Mike. A very pleasing design...perfect for the intended use, too.

Mark Bachler
04-07-2004, 9:50 PM
Very nice cabinet. Who's the fiddler in the house?

Mike Palmer
04-07-2004, 11:35 PM
Mike: Very nice job on the cabinet. I agree with Lee, Cherry looks great finished natural.

Mike Conley
04-08-2004, 7:31 AM
Very nice cabinet. Who's the fiddler in the house?

My oldest son took violin for a while. He was learning fast but he hated it. He is very gifted musically but it is a fight to get him to practice.

John Haylow
04-08-2004, 5:04 PM
Mike.

Very nice job on the cabinet. The finish looks great as well.

John

Rob Horton
04-08-2004, 6:17 PM
Looks fantastic Mike! That cherry wood is beautiful with that finish. Great job!