PDA

View Full Version : Negotiating fair price for the right laser purchase

Jeffrey Levine
05-15-2008, 1:40 PM
I’m planning to enter the world of laser engraving/cutting and looking for advice on negotiating a fair deal when purchasing the machine. I’ve read many great postings on this forum but still had some questions (sorry if already asked and answered, I tried my best to search the archives extensively but so much to consider). I read comments from “generally not too much pricing wiggle room” to “got a 2 year extended warranty thrown in” to “I saved several thousand dollars plus got a rotary attachment, stand, and software thrown in.” I’m not necessarily looking to fight tooth & nail to save every penny I can, but just looking for a fair deal and hopefully support one of the American manufacturers that have invested in innovation and tech support.

As far as my application I’m not looking to run the thing 8 hours a day for a busy, full time engraving business so if it went down from time to time that would not have a major negative impact on me. To that end I suppose I might be a candidate to save some money with an Asian import. The shortest way I can describe what I do is I make unique musical instruments. I’m very confident I’ll have no problems using one of these machines to really help me out with cutting some of the smaller, detailed parts out of wood (and might as well burn some cool stuff onto them while I’m at it). If it came down to 5-7k for Asian versus 12-15k for American I would probably go American. However if it came down to 2-3k for Asian (and assuming there is some feedback that it seemed to eventually work well, even if initial setup was rather challenging which does not scare me) then I would have to give that some thought. Hopefully I'm not getting too off topic by brining up imports, but I'm thinking that having these options is a tool when negotiating.

Anyway, I did an Epilog demo and was very impressed with the machine and the distributor, and at this point I’m leaning to an Epilog Mini24 35w or 45w. I think I might need a little extra power for cutting applications, although speed is not a big factor for me so possibly I could go with the lesser power at a slower speed. I’m also considering the Mini18 45w because its smaller bed is not a major negative for me, but understand the “Radiance” technology on the Mini24 may be better for my cutting applications (sharper beam = a little more power).

Questions:

1) Any thoughts on what I should consider a fair deal on a Mini18 45w, Mini24 35w, or Mini24 45w (with 1 year warranty on the machine, 2 yr on bulb)? Edit: I don’t mean to ask for any exact numbers if that is a violation of the rules posted in the Announcement above, just wondering if any tips to help me know when I got to the right price.

2) I understand more power allows for greater speed in many applications. But if speed is not a factor does power play a major role in capability, especially with regard to cutting applications? In other words if I were willing to run the 35w much more slowly, or even with multiple “passes,” can it come pretty close to cutting what the 45w can?

3) It seems the Mini18 45w and the Mini24 35w might be in the same price ballpark. I’m wondering if the Mini24 35w with “Radiance” technology might be just as powerful as the Mini18 45w without? So if it came down to a choice between the 2, the Mini24 35w would be more attractive – any thoughts?

4) Are there actually Asain imports in the 2-3k range that can eventually be made to work?

Thanks a million, Jeff in Baltimore, MD

Steven Smith
05-15-2008, 3:05 PM
I had a vendor tell me flat out 'My price is a good price and I won't get into bidding wars with anyone'. He lost that sale...

Joe Pelonio
05-15-2008, 3:24 PM
It's sort of between buying a car and buying furniture. Some dealers are not allowed by their manufacturer to sell for less, but may be able to add something into the deal for you, while other have some flexibility in reducing their profit to make the sale. I'd always try your best to get more for your money.

It's best to get the most power and table size you can afford. Mine is 12x24 and other than large quantity jobs that would require fewer material changes, I've really not needed a larger work area.

With mine at 45 watts there have been times when more power would have helped, because a 10 hour run time could have been reduced. Multiple passes do not produce the same smooth edges as single, so if you are making items that require a nice finish to the edges you might be forced to do some sanding and flame polishing if you have less power.

Really though, it's a matter of what you will be doing on your machine. If it's for hobbies, or maybe to make a few dollars on the side, a small, low power machine is an option. For production work in a shop with regular customers I would not go less than 45 watts and 12"x24". In your case with the musical instruments, base your decision on the maximum thickness and part size that you will be doing.

David Sabot
05-15-2008, 4:25 PM
While price is certainly a major consideration, you might also want to consider service. I purchased a $12k laser engraver through Sign Warehouse and tired them out until they sold it to me for around $9k. But I have never been happy with their service/support and if I had to do it again would go with a different company that offers better service.

In my opion, if you choose a laser that has a good representation in the marketplace, you should be able to pit distributors against one another for price. Just make sure you have access to parts if you ever need them. Some of the asian companies might not have easy access to replacement parts.

James Stokes
05-15-2008, 5:47 PM
one thing you need to consider is what kind of wood and how thick. I have a 100 watt laser, with it I can cut 3/4 oak but can not cut 3/16 ebony.

Larry Bratton
05-15-2008, 6:05 PM
I didn't find much price concession when I dealt with the local Epilog distributor. However, they threw in some things, like a rotary attachment, an exhaust fan and a pump for the air assist. I have been very satisfied with my machine and their service.

I love my big table. I wish I had more power in order to go faster. I think though, if I had it to do over, I would opt for a somewhat smaller table and a bunch more power. A 100watts would do nicely. Of course, if I could afford it, I would have both the 24x36 table and the 100 watts. Forty watts cuts 1/4" acrylic in one pass, no sweat. It cuts wood nicely also, but my main use these days is cutting acrylic letters for signs.
Good luck with your purchase.

Phil Salvati
05-15-2008, 6:10 PM
Going with the Asian brands is one way to go to save money...but set up, training, and service is what matters to me.

I almost purchased an Asian Laser and fortunately was talked out of it to spend 9 thousand more on a Universal.

The Asian dealer said I had to go to them for training, in CT. I am in OK. I would have to wait for parts if anything went wrong, etc.

Best move we made.... I purchased it at a Trade show, they in turn gave the sale to our local dealer. (Engravers Network) They came to me to install and train us. When we had a fire and had to replace thousands of dollars worth of equipment in the machine, they were more than happy to deal with me. Parts we overnighted as we deduced the problems. They even comped us a new lens even though it was my fault it broke!

Anyway... Definitely go with the biggest you can afford. Table and wattage. Air assist is about a 1500.00 upgrade and worth it, the cutting table is also a necessity.

There are ways to get around the switches on the doors if you need to run bigger material than the grid allows.

P & G

Mike Null
05-15-2008, 9:51 PM
The fact is it's a buyers market on lasers right now. Negotiate then go back and negotiate some more. Every manufacturer has lowered prices.

Trent Clemens
05-17-2008, 7:51 AM
Jeff I may have exactly what you are looking for. 2005 model Epilog mini 24 35 watt with rotary attachment. Trying to sell whole Trophy/Award Business, but am considering letting machine go on it's own. Located in Lawrenceville Georgia