PDA

View Full Version : Ryobi 18 Volt Miter Saw

Lance Norris
05-15-2008, 1:06 PM
I would like the thoughts, good and bad, from owners of this miter saw. If you dont have one, I dont want to hear... "I wouldn't own a piece of Ryobi junk". I know Ryobi is what it is. I just won one on "you know where" and havent received it yet(*!#~%&! Parcel Post). I have several outdoor projects coming up and need a light, portable miter saw and dont want to keep hauling my heavy Dewalt 12" up out of the basement shop. I know it didn't have good run time on the Ni-cad batteries of old, but I have new lithiums for it, so that shouldn't be as much of a problem. I probably will only be using it for 90 degree cuts of 2x4 and 2x6, and an occasional miter. Overall... do you like it or not, and if not, why?

Norman Pyles
05-15-2008, 2:27 PM
Lance, I don't have the miter saw, but I do have the 18 v circular saw, and really like it. Sounds like the price is right on your saw.:cool:

J. Z. Guest
05-15-2008, 2:33 PM
I didn't even know they made one. That is good to know.

Lance Norris
05-15-2008, 3:30 PM
Lance, I don't have the miter saw, but I do have the 18 v circular saw, and really like it. Sounds like the price is right on your saw.:cool:

I like the circular saw as well. It was one of the first One+ tools I owned.

I didn't even know they made one. That is good to know.

Jeremy... here is a link to the owners manual. Its listed as the P550, MS180 and MS181. I think the last 2 model numbers are when it came in a kit of tools, and the P550, when it was sold by itself.

http://oneworld1.inetu.net/manuals/ryobi/P550_656_eng.pdf

Lance Norris
06-12-2008, 7:37 PM
Well... here is an update on the Ryobi 18 volt miter saw. I got the chance recently to use it extensively, and its an excellent little miter saw. If you have the need for a portable, cordless, light(19 pounds) miter saw, this is one to pick up. I installed a new 40 tooth Tenryu thin kerf blade, and used a fully charged Ryobi 18 volt Lithium Ion battery. I was working with very wet, pressure treated 2x4 and 2x6 dimensional lumber and made 74 cross cuts before the battery needed charging. That to me is great performance for a miter saw that can be easily carried with one hand and can be miles from any power source. This is a hard one to find because it has been discontinued for several years, but I feel it is well worth the search and is the perfect tool for portable, light-medium duty use. The last photo shows the miter saw with the battery, for scale.

J. Z. Guest
06-14-2008, 9:04 AM
Very nice Lance.

A couple questions:

1) Is it capable of crosscutting an 8/4, 6" wide hardwood board?

2) How much did it cost you, including shipping?

Mark Kosmowski
06-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Lance:

Thanks for the review. I haven't been able to justify buying one of these even though I am a big fan of the ONE+ system, because I have a really nice RAS and don't need to go into "the field" often or at all, being a hobbiest / homeowner.

However, my folks want me to install some laminate flooring for my grandmother while I'm laid off starting in July - perhaps I'll have them buy me one for this job. Hmmm... the Ryobi site is down at the moment - what is the maximum crosscut capacity at, say, 1/4" thickness?

Lance Norris
06-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Very nice Lance.

A couple questions:

1) Is it capable of crosscutting an 8/4, 6" wide hardwood board?

Its capacities are 2~1/16" thick, 5~1/2" wide

2) How much did it cost you, including shipping?

Including shipping, $160

Lance Norris
06-14-2008, 10:17 AM
However, my folks want me to install some laminate flooring for my grandmother while I'm laid off starting in July - perhaps I'll have them buy me one for this job.

Mark... keep in mind this miter saw has been discontinued for several years. You occasionally see them on Craigslist. I got mine from that big online auction site. They are always on there for sale.

what is the maximum crosscut capacity at, say, 1/4" thickness?

5~1/2"

Rick Potter
06-17-2008, 1:06 AM
Home Depot was clearing them out about a year ago, and I bought two.. When I gave away my One+ stuff to a good friend, I kept one even though I have no batteries for it. If I need it I will use jumper wires from a Makita 18V LiIon.

I kept it because it will be handy occasionally working on rentals.

As to how it works, it runs slow for a chop saw, and you need to take it easy and not force it. If you have a light touch, it works great, a perfect trim saw for use in the field. You can cut 2X with it too, but it is a bit slow. These results with the NiCad battery, LiIon are probably better, and longer lasting.

Oh yeah.....I paid $39 for each. Well worth it.

Rick Potter

Lance Norris
07-26-2008, 7:53 PM
Heres another update. I used the Ryobi 18 volt miter saw again today and am very happy with this saw. It cuts like a dream and doesnt kill me lugging it up from my basement shop. You cant shove it through the cut like a powerful 110 volt saw, but using a light touch, it cuts very well. I built a stand for my step-daughters window air conditioner and its sure nice not to have to run an extension cord for the saw. I haven't used it for anything critical like picture frames, but to just crosscut 2x stuff, its great.