PDA

View Full Version : Engraved photos and then colored em!

Harry Radaza
05-15-2008, 10:54 AM
I recently have been trying to get the coloring thing perfected and finally found a sellable and consistent way of filling in text with colors ( wax a "finished" plaque, acrylic paint, wipe off and clean with alcohol and redo if necessary ).

So we were playing around in the shop and figured we would paint one of our rejects. It was first engraved with the photos. Then we used an ordinary airbrush to fill in the colors over the engraved areas. Of course, it was harder to get color in the areas that were very small (ie... the text if you look closely ). I think I have to get a new airbrush to get a finer output. If you look closely, I even over painted outside of the details ( painted outside the tshirts onto the background, etc...). But then again, that was done in 15 minutes. With more practice I'm sure I could get better results

All of a sudden I am going in a hundred different directions with the possibilities now.

what do you guys think ?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3002/2495016024_1d2d2515e1_o.jpg

Brian Robison
05-15-2008, 11:35 AM
That's very interesting. Looks like your on to something there!

BTW, smoking is bad for you~:D

Clara Koss
05-15-2008, 11:50 AM
this is just fantastic!!!!!

Harry Radaza
05-30-2008, 5:21 AM
Another try at this.

Engraved the graphic on wood around 11x18" in size. used acrylic to color fill the huge title in the bottom and airbrushed over the lasered image for this result. I would appreciate your comments and suggestions on the finished product below...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2373/2535420373_bc407c897c_o.jpg

Steve McKee
05-30-2008, 9:42 AM
Harry, I really like that, nice work. Can you tell me where you got the graphic? I've been looking for one but haven't found one I like yet.

Keep up the good work, looks like you're on to something there.

Steve

Darren Null
05-30-2008, 11:15 AM
That is awesome- must have taken you ages. You've still got the colour bleed though...looks more noticeable on this one because it's a more intricate graphic. Except -oddly- the plates and things against the white table background. That's where I would expect the colour bleed to be really bad, but I can't see any at all there at this resolution. So something's going right. Taking into account the complexity, it's an improvement on your original portrait. Keep it up and keep us posted! I'm very interested in this technique.

Maybe a different application method? A fine pallette knife or something of that ilk.

Harry Radaza
06-01-2008, 11:34 AM
steve,

I think one of my artists just googled it. here is one i found just now...
http://www.jeffgannon.com/archives/last_supper.jpg

Darren,

Yes you are right there still are color bleeding. I have to get a new airbrush with a smaller spray output to solve that problem. It took about 2 - 3 hours to do. I didn't pay so much attention to replicating the exact colors though.
The plates on the white background were the only ones not done with the airbrush. it was done with a paint brush. Yes I am very excited with this one. I want to try a close up of a face next.