PDA

View Full Version : Composite decking for ramp????

Bob Moyer
05-15-2008, 9:54 AM
Has anyone used this material for a ramp or is it too slippery???

I need to replace the ramp to my shed.

David G Baker
05-15-2008, 1:10 PM
I have used Trimax for a ramp on my California home and didn't find it to be any more slippery than composite products. The Trimax that I used was 2x6" and was very strong. I have tried to find it locally in Michigan but if I want to buy some I have to have it shipped and the shipping cost is too much for me. It was available locally in California.
Check it out on the Internet to see if it will do what you need.
It may sound as if I have a vested interest in Trimax but I have no connection other than liking the product for what it does, how strong it is, and how long it lasts.

Jeffrey Makiel
05-15-2008, 1:22 PM
Most of the composite decking sold today has a very apparent grain pattern engraved into its surface. It has much more traction than wood. The only caveat is that composite decking is weaker than standard 5/4 wood decking and the ramp stringers should be spaced closer than the standard 12" spacing typically used for wood stairs.

If it is an indication of weakness, some brands specifically state that their product cannot be used for stair treads eventhough it satisfies a typical deck rating of 40lb per sf live load/10lb per sf dead load with a 16" joist spacing.

-Jeff :)