PDA

View Full Version : Users of GF's Arm-R-Seal...

Keith Starosta
05-15-2008, 9:09 AM
I am using General Finishes' Gloss Arm-R-Seal on a current project, and have a question about of the number of coats, and the ability to rub out the finish. Last night, I applied the third coat to the project. It's looking pretty good right now, but would applying additional coats enhance the look, or is there a ceiling to how much is enough? Also, can I rub out the finish to an ultra high gloss look and feel, using very high grit sandpaper/0000 steel wool/wax?

Thanks for any information you can help with!

- Keith

Greg Heppeard
05-15-2008, 9:25 AM
I'd email the guys at General Finish and ask them, they are very good people. I use the stuff a lot and haven't had a problem putting several coats with lite sanding between coats. As far as rubbing out to ultra high gloss, I'd ask them what to use to do this. I also think I'd let the final coat dry for a few days before rubbing it out, let it get good and hard.

JayStPeter
05-15-2008, 9:27 AM
If you build too much it actually starts to look plastic. 3 coats is typically what I use (plus a finish coat, see below), maybe 4-5 on table tops that will see abuse. Yes you can polish, but wait a while. I usually wait at least a week.
I think you can avoid polishing though. Just sand the "last" coat with ~400-600 grit totally flat. Thin the arm-r-seal just a little and apply the last coat extra thin. It winds up looking great. Then all you need to do is the paper bag trick a few days later to make it feel perfectly smooth. I haven't done any polishing on my last few projects using it this way.

Keith Starosta
05-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Thanks, guys!

Jay, a couple of questions. First, do you thin with mineral spirits? And, would "just a little" be something like 30%? Next.....the paper bag trick? Can you give me a little detail on this? I've never heard of this. :confused:

Thanks!

- Keith

JayStPeter
05-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Yes, mineral spirits. Probably something more like 20%. It's already pretty thin. I just put a little splash in the bowl I use to apply it. The idea is just to apply a really thin coat. So, don't get the rag super drenched when applying either. That last coat usually takes me about 1/3 the time as the others because I'm really just wiping it on really lightly and quickly with the grain.
The paper bag trick is that you lightly rub the final coat with a brown paper bag. It knocks off the dust nibs without scratching up the surface, so no need to polish it up afterward.