PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes it pays to go to the Post office

Bob Hallowell
05-15-2008, 8:16 AM
I live in a very large gated community in rural Pa. I was on my way home from church and stopped in the post office to get the mail. When I walked out a saw where a tree I was drooling over for years broke in two from the wind. I talked to the store owner who told me that he had promised it to someone else here at Treasure Lake. He said he was an older guy who was also a turner. I told the store owner that if he didn't want it that I did and to give my number to the other turner so we could meet up. Well I got a call yesterday from the store owner saying the other guy moved. It was mine if I wanted it. We even used his trailer to bring it home and I told him there would be a bowl ready in 2 to 3 months for him.

On a sad note the burl was full of carpenter ants that's what killed the tree, but it was mostly in the center and I cut those parts out and sprayed it with ant killer.

Bob

Bruce Pennell
05-15-2008, 8:33 AM
Bob you're going to have fun turning all that wood congret's...Bruce

Bernie Weishapl
05-15-2008, 9:35 AM
Congrats on the wood haul Bob. That looks like some good turnings.

Bob Hallowell
05-15-2008, 9:44 AM
Thanks guys as you can see in my back yard I have no shortage of wood but burls seem to elude me. From what it looks like it doesn't have much of the typical burl eyes and swirls but it apears to have intense curl.

Bob

robert hainstock
05-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Some swirl, some don't , but all are well figured. Congrats :):)
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
05-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Congrats on the wood Bob! Hope the ants left you something to work with! Looking forward to seeing the results!

Jim Becker
05-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Very nice haul, Bob! (You could have given those ants a nice "ride" on the spinny thing just to let them have some fun...LOL)

And I believe my aunt used to live in your community until my uncle passed away and she moved down to the Lancaster area to be closer to her daughter.

Bob Hallowell
05-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Jim,
it's a nice area to live, they call it a gated community but anyone can get in easily and all it really means is we pay taxes to our township and none of it gets spent in are area casue we are a private area. We have to pay high assements to pay for security, fix our roads, amenities and so forth. Btw what was your aunts Name?

Bob

curtis rosche
05-15-2008, 11:20 AM
turn the burl any ways, if its full of holes, torch the holes.