PDA

View Full Version : Part for Stanley 7?

James K Peterson
05-15-2008, 6:37 AM
Wanted to ask if anyone knows a source for plane parts (or may have one). I need a blade, chipbreaker, and lever cap for a stanley 7 plane. I was thinking I wanted to try and find the right frog for it too. It has a frog adjuster nut in the base, but the frog doesn't have the adjusting clip on it:confused:

Thanks
James

Ethan Sincox
05-15-2008, 12:19 PM
So basically you have a body, a tote, and a knob?

Might want to check out Bob Kaune's site (http://www.antique-used-tools.com/). He usually has good replacement parts.

Sometimes finding replacement parts can be almost as expensive as finding a good user on the unmentionable auction site.

Here's an idea, though... Maybe you could look for a #7 with a cracked body, the horn missing off the tote, and a chip off the knob and then salvage the blade, breaker, frog, and lever cap off it... Most people wouldn't touch it for $10 with a crack in the body, but it would be just what you want! Might be able to get it real cheap.

Jim Koepke
05-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Wanted to ask if anyone knows a source for plane parts (or may have one). I need a blade, chipbreaker, and lever cap for a stanley 7 plane. I was thinking I wanted to try and find the right frog for it too. It has a frog adjuster nut in the base, but the frog doesn't have the adjusting clip on it:confused:

Thanks
James

Is the frog drilled for a screw to hold the clip?

This happened on some planes made during WWII. Some work just was not done. Maybe the guy who worked the machine for cutting the hole and threads got drafted for the war effort.

PIctures would help. My first place to look would be eBay.

It also helps to be sure of what vintage plane you are seeking parts.

If your plane is just missing the screw and the clip, that should not be too difficult to find.

Bob Kaune will have the parts, but his prices can be a bit on the top end.

When I want a particular part, I will save a search on eBay and get emails everyday. It may be best to set up a few.

jim

jim