PDA

View Full Version : Thermark

Jeff Chumbley
05-15-2008, 12:25 AM
I see that Thermark boasts that they can mark on glass. Has anyone had any sucess with this process? I have a customer that I use Cermark on SS but now wants a crosshair on glass. Any suggestions?

Keith Outten
05-15-2008, 6:17 AM
Jeff,

I used Thermark to engrave several large glass directories a couple of years ago. It works but it was almost impossible for me to get a constant color from one piece to the next. It is also expensive when you have a lot of glass to engrave.

I eventually found out that it was much cheaper to use paint. I engraved the glass using a mask and painted the engraved areas which looked fantastic, and the color was the same on every piece, as you would expect. Rusteoleum Bronze Hammer Paint looks fantastic on glass :)

Brian Robison
05-15-2008, 9:06 AM
I've had great luck with rub n buff on glass.

Peck Sidara
05-15-2008, 9:50 AM
Jeff,

My experience has resulted in a smoke/greyish type engraving when mixing the two together. I don't beleive you'll get a nice dark, jet black marking.

Sean with Ferro Corp frequents this forum or one of the others. Perhaps he can chime in on suggestions. Additionally it's not the same spray used on SS, I think it's specific to glass or you use the ceramic spray for glass too?

HTH,

Brian Robison
05-15-2008, 11:33 AM
When I talked to them about it, it sounded like the process needed a very thick coat and very slow speeds to work.

James Stokes
05-15-2008, 12:47 PM
I have tried it on glass but could never get a good solid mark. I have been told that it really only works good on white glass.

Jeff Chumbley
05-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks to all. I received a post from Sean and will give it a try. I will post on how things go when I receive my material.

Jeff