View Full Version : Any solutions to butternut tear out

Ron Oastler
05-14-2008, 9:03 PM
I have been working on some butternut bowls and have some tear out on the end grain sections :(, I have sharpened the tools and made really light cuts but still have areas of the tear out, I have been sanding both forward and reverse and also used some beeswax with mineral oil to cut down on the dust etc, is there a solution to this happening, I seem to only get it on the butternut pieces,

ron in Kingston

Dennis Puskar
05-14-2008, 10:15 PM
You could try some shear scraping.

Dennis

Bernie Weishapl
05-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Ron I have found if I use a light spray of water and on the inside use a sharp P & N conventional bowl gouge it will take out all of it. Mike Mahoney told about this at one of his demo's and he uses straight mineral oil rubbed on with his fingers. On the outside I spray lightly with water and use a vertical shear scrap like Bill Grumbine uses. It just takes it out and is smooth.

Reed Gray
05-15-2008, 1:15 AM
Ditto on getting the wood wet. Any oil or water, let it soak in for 60 seconds or so, then turn it off in very light cuts. I noticed a long time ago that green wood cuts cleaner than most of the dry woods. The more I use a shear scraper, the better I like it.
robo hippy

Doug Miller
05-15-2008, 8:51 AM
Ron, you might try an application of some finish. I would suggest that you cut it with the proper thinner and then allow it to dry for a while. (I like lacquer for this process. I'll mix it about 50/50 with lacquer thinner in a jar and slop it on with a brush.) This process should stiffen the fibers of the wood enough to then take a very light cut with a REALLY sharp gouge and get a clean cut. I typically use a traditional ground bowl gouge with a micro bevel ground on it. The shavings should be finer than angel hair. Two or three passes and you should see marked improvement.

robert hainstock
05-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Grumbines vertical shear scrape is the ticket. The wetting will help too.:)
Bob

Glenn Hodges
05-15-2008, 2:09 PM
Use some wax like Johnson and Johnson. This will help stop it.