PDA

View Full Version : Review: Nova 1624

Paul Rains
05-14-2008, 7:46 PM
Does anyone have or have used the NOVA 1624, I saw in Fine Woodworking it recieved their pick for best deal, only critism was that it was light, I figured if you enclosed bottom and filled with sand that would help with that? Comments?;)

Paul Douglass
05-14-2008, 9:00 PM
I've see several great comments on it, might search the forum. Enough good said it is what I am going to buy shortly. Get one real quick and let me know what you think...:)

Doug Miller
05-14-2008, 11:20 PM
I've had one for over a year now. Love it. The weight does not seem to come into play very often. I think you are right though, enclose the legs and fill with a suitable ballast and you'll have a that much better lathe.

If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to tell anything I know about it.

mike fuson
05-15-2008, 12:33 AM
Paul, I have bought and upgraded lathes for the last 15 years, and a nova was one of them. My advice is if you like turning and plan to keep doing it then go for the 3520b and you'll be satisfied. Its not really that much more money when you think about the money that your going to spend on accessories and all that stuff.

Bill Blasic
05-15-2008, 7:38 AM
Paul,
If you can afford the 3520b it is a great lathe, I love mine. I also have a DVR3000 which I would never get rid of, but if your pocket book is not over flowing at the moment I think that Nova 1624 at approx. 1/3 the cost of the 3520b is a great bargain. Lots of features of more expensive lathes and your idea for more weight will not hurt. This lathe will take you a long way into your turning career.

Jerry Pittman
05-15-2008, 9:51 AM
Paul,
I have had my 1624 for nearly a year and been very satisfied with it. Haven't had any significant problems with vibration, etc up to a 15" Cherry blank I had on it. I can recommend it strongly if that is what you budget allows. It will fulfill your turning needs for a long while. It's a lot of lathe for the money!
Jerry

Steve Kubien
05-15-2008, 10:22 PM
I've had my Nova 1624 for about 1.5 years and love it. Ok, the tool rest kinda sucks but the banjo it fits into is solid, the tailstock is solid, changing speeds is easy. It's a great lathe.

Having said all of that, I am really looking forward to test driving a Oneway 2436 tomorrow:)

Mike Minto
07-11-2008, 3:36 PM
I've had a 1624 since about Nov of 2007, and enjoy it quite a lot. It is my first and so far only lathe. I'm sure it's all the lathe I'd ever need, but I've added quite a lot to it to increase it's functionality. Woodsurfer rest, Outrigger, and Cast Iron Stand - that last one was a HUGE improvement for me. My lathe sits on a very sturdily framed wood floor, but the stock legs just rocked too much on heavy rough pieces, even small off-center turnings. 300 pounds of sand on the new legs, and it's like a new lathe. After some experience, I'll probably go to a DVR because I hate manually changing speeds and have torn up a couple of drive belts. You have to place them on the pulleys carefully. Mike

Daniel Heine
07-11-2008, 5:04 PM
Paul,

I've had mine since last Sunday, and I love it. I upgraded from 1 15" Palmgren/Crapsman lathe. When I got it all together, turned it on, and tried it out on a new pen kit, I could not beleive the difference. It's like driving a 30 year old VW bus for 2 years, then trading it in for a brand new Lexus. I love it. When I bought the l;athe, I also bought a 1" tool post, and a 6" tool rest from Woodcraft. I turn pens between centers, not with a mandrell, so a 12" tool rest was not going to work. I love the tool rest, and it was lestt that $40.00 for the post and the rest. Check it out here:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=20252

I debated for a long time between the 1624 and the Jet 1642. Three reasons swung my decision:
1. I have a small shop area and need all the space I can get
2. I never turn long spindles
3. $600.00 to put otwards the tool rest, a new chuck, and some pen kits

I cannot speak highly enough about the qiality of this tool. A++++++

Dan

Brodie Brickey
07-11-2008, 5:25 PM
The Nova 1624 is a great lathe. It has a slow speed at ~200 RPM and its at about a 1k. I bought and returned the Nova DVR, because the PM3520A was basically the same price after an outboard tool rest at the time (this was a number of years ago).

The 1624 is probably the best standard lathe you can find now, without jumping up another $600 more dollars.

EDIT: If you have a WoodCraft near you, call them up. They usually have an anniversary sale around the end of July. You may be able to get a discount on the lathe if you order it then, but call first sometimes major tools can't or won't be discounted as much as other stuff.

Burt Alcantara
07-14-2008, 12:44 PM
I've had the 1624 since January 2007. I added the extension so I wouldn't have to remove the tailstock. I also keep my Monster parked on it.

I have not added weight or fastened the legs. When I am turning max sized blanks, which I don't do that often, I turn the speed down. As the vibration decreases, I turn up the speed. One reason for not added weight is I've yet to find the right spot for the lathe.

My only complaint is their chucks are backwards! For that reason, I use Talons.

I wouldn't mind having variable speed, but then, I wouldn't mind having better teeth. So, accepting what I have, I'm happy (with both).

Burt

curtis rosche
07-14-2008, 5:44 PM
you could always go for a vb-36
there was a lathe i saw one time that i cant seem to find now that was made for a production turning. it had a 12 inch swing and a carrige for doing spirals, but the bed right infront of the head stoke folded down to give a 40 inch swing but then again that lathe was also about 13000$

you could always got with a general, aalong as its from canada. or a lathe from serious lathes.com

Paul Douglass
07-14-2008, 9:31 PM
Well I got my nova 1624 in the end of May. It was the right choice for me! I love it! I don't mind the belt changing and I went from a variable speed to this manual one. Fact I like the belt changing, but I'm a hobbyist, I don't sell anything just do it for fun. If I was trying to make some money off of it I would want a VS.

Dennis Pickerl
07-15-2008, 3:08 PM
I've had my nova for several months after going through much the same thought process you have. I built a stand with drawers (shop space for tools is a consideration) and space for gravel/sand as ballast. Once the ballast was in it is rock solid, although I haven't turned any really big blanks yet. I really like the pivot head feature for working on the inside of peices. I could post pictures of stand if anyone is interested.

Dennis

Greg Ketell
07-15-2008, 4:38 PM
a complaint my friend had with his before he got rid of it was that you have to push the button for speed changes. So if you are going far in your speed changes (like from turning to finishing a pen (3000-300)) then you sit there pushing buttons all day. Minor nuisance over and over for the life of the lathe.

GK

Paul Douglass
07-15-2008, 7:49 PM
a complaint my friend had with his before he got rid of it was that you have to push the button for speed changes. So if you are going far in your speed changes (like from turning to finishing a pen (3000-300)) then you sit there pushing buttons all day. Minor nuisance over and over for the life of the lathe.

GK

I don't push any buttons on a 1624. I do have to move the belt to different pulleys. Which probably takes a little longer than pushing a button. He must have had a Nova DVR. I do change the belt quite a bit, but like I said it does not bother me. We are all different.

Greg Ketell
07-15-2008, 8:05 PM
Whoops, sorry, you are correct. It was the DVR.

GK

Doug Miller
07-16-2008, 12:43 AM
I feel like the time I take to change the belt is a great time to take a good look at what I have going. I can't tell you the form problems I've caught because I was looking my piece over as I walked around the lathe to change the belt.

Paul Douglass
07-16-2008, 9:41 AM
I do have one thing about my 1624 that I find annoying. The lid that closes to the access to the belt. It has a screw down latch which takes too much effort to tighten and loosen and when the lever used to loosen the belt is in the up position it hits the lid so the lid wants to shut all the time. That is a poor engineering. I'm looking at ways to modify that.

Burt Alcantara
07-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Paul,
I don't bother with the lid. I let it drop and leave it there. That way I don't have to fiddle with the screw to open it when changing speeds.

I vaguely recall seeing a post where someone with acute arthritis fashioned a large handle to open and close the lid. Looked like a good idea but also seemed overkill.

Burt

John Gornall
07-16-2008, 1:30 PM
The spot welds on my lid let go so now I have to solve the poorly designed lid problem - should be no problem to make something better.

It's a basic lathe and has some problems but it's been a lot of fun so far and I'm glad I bought it.

Best thing I added was a vacuum chuck - makes turning easy!