PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt 735 planer problem

Kerry Adams
05-14-2008, 6:10 PM
Got one for Xmas and just fired it up. Can't get it to go from 1 to 2 and yes I am running it why I try . Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kerry

Dave Sweeney
05-14-2008, 6:50 PM
Other than looking at the lever, the only way I can tell what speed my 735 is in is by the sound it makes when planing. There is no noticeable difference in the noise the planer makes when I flip the lever from one speed to the other when the machine is just running. Are you expecting it to make different sounds when it's at idle?

Jules Dominguez
05-14-2008, 8:33 PM
Kerry, are you saying that the speed change lever won't move, or that you can't see an observable difference in the two positions?
I haven't had any trouble changing the speed on my 735, but the positions are opposite what's stated in the owners manual, i.e. the high speed position is actually low speed, and vise versa.

Kerry Adams
05-15-2008, 1:00 AM
Sorry for the confusion- I am saying that the lever won't move at all.

Thanks,
Kerry

Phil Warnement
05-15-2008, 7:32 AM
I haven't used mine in quite a while, but I think the wood is moved through the planer at two different speeds. I don't think you hear a great difference in sound, just the time it takes to move a board through the machine.

Tony De Masi
05-15-2008, 8:03 AM
Kerry,

As you stated that you just got this for Christmas I would suggest a call to Dewalt C/S.

Tony

DAVID MINNIX
05-15-2008, 9:44 AM
I thought I had the same problem, the manual says only to change speeds while running only.

Kerry Adams
05-15-2008, 2:16 PM
Thanks for replys. I e-mailed customer service and got the standard reply of take it to a service center.

I am trying to move it while it is running, but it won't budge. I thought I was missing something, but guess not.

Thanks
Kerry

Jason Koon
05-15-2008, 2:30 PM
Not to hijack, but I've been having a problem with my drive rollers slipping.. i'm planing 2-4" wide maple, taking of about 1/32 per pass. Any ideas?

James Suzda
05-15-2008, 2:48 PM
Not to hijack, but I've been having a problem with my drive rollers slipping.. i'm planing 2-4" wide maple, taking of about 1/32 per pass. Any ideas?
Whenever I'm having problems with the feed, my knives are dull.
But, first try waxing the beds and clean the rollers.

Travis Rassat
05-15-2008, 2:50 PM

I was having the same issue. DeWalt customer service suggested that I clean the rollers with mineral spirits. I haven't actually done it yet, so I can't tell you how well it worked.

I'm sorry to hear that Kerry didn't get as good of service as I did. I contacted DeWalt's customer service via e-mail with several questions about the rollers slipping, and my blades dulling very quickly, and they were very, very helpful - quite possibly the best customer service I've had in a while.

Kerry Adams
05-15-2008, 4:15 PM
Thanks everyone, but I am done fooling with it. Am taking to local repair and they will ship it out. What a shame! Every customer service except Greenville was extremely rude! Will be sending overnight letter to CEO in Maryland.

Thanks,
Kerry

Peter Quinn
05-15-2008, 7:11 PM
Just got a new Infinity catalogue, seems they are offering knives for the 735 now they claim will last considerably longer than stock. Anyone tried these?

Dave Sweeney
05-15-2008, 7:57 PM
Just got a new Infinity catalogue, seems they are offering knives for the 735 now they claim will last considerably longer than stock. Anyone tried these?

Better read that ad a little more closely. Their claim is that "Our knives should hold their edge longer" and not that they will last considerably longer. There's a big difference between "should" and "will".

Peter Quinn
05-15-2008, 8:20 PM
True enough. Of course my experience with the DeWalt knives has been that installing a good stiff piece of card board "should" be an improvement over OEM. Still wondering why no one offers cobalt or solid carbide like a terminus set up for that machine?

glenn bradley
05-15-2008, 9:02 PM

As others have said, the only time I had that problem I cleaned the rollers and waxed the platen and tables. Problem gone.

Johnny Fischer
05-15-2008, 10:28 PM
True enough. Of course my experience with the DeWalt knives has been that installing a good stiff piece of card board "should" be an improvement over OEM. Still wondering why no one offers cobalt or solid carbide like a terminus set up for that machine?

Peter,
Try these guys, they can make you anything you want.
http://cggschmidt.com/