PDA

View Full Version : A Free Gift to All

Keith Outten
04-07-2004, 7:35 AM
The attached file is my Corel Draw template for wooden medallions. It has been saved as a Corel Draw version 8 drawing to make it available to the widest audience. Anyone with Corel Draw should be able to open the drawing and edit the file to change the name, city and state. The file is for a 1.25" diameter medallion and vector cuts at 1.235" so it will fit perfectly in a flat bottom hole drilled with a 1.25" forsner bit, I suggest the the file be tested before any production runs and modified to suit your laser as necessary.

I hope that everyone can use the file especially those SawMill Creek Members who own laser engravers. Woodworkers may want to save the file and provide it to your local engraver when you need medallions made to mark and identify your work.

I will ask everyone to please patronize our members who own laser engravers when ordering medallions, especially those who have recently purchased machines and in need of new business to help them get started. I know that many of you are considering the purchase of a laser engraver for your woodworking shop and in time I hope our members will support you if you purchase a laser. Below is the list of our members that own or have ordered laser engravers.

Redge Henline
Ken Nelsen
Mike Wallis
SteveKrim
George Skinner
BobRacine
Kathy Hassler
Keith Outten

Here is my suggestion;

Those of you who are in need of medallions may offer to prepare your own wooden stock and ship it to one of our members who owns a laser engraver. This will save you money and allow you to control the quality of your material. This will also reduce the costs of the engraver you choose to patronize. Having the drawing also eliminates any setup fee for the engraver and saves you money. Every engraver has their own price based on their overhead and profit but some may be able to provide medallions for about $1.00 each plus shipping charges if material is provided by the customer. (SMC Members Special Price)

I sincerly hope this will help as many of our members as possible, woodworkers and woodworking engravers.

The zip file below contains the jpg graphic below, a Windows Meta File and a Corel Draw version 8 drawing cdr file.

To save the file on your machine click on medallion.zip

Keith Starosta
04-07-2004, 8:02 AM
Thanks for this, Keith....but I have a question as to how to download the .cdr file. Maybe it's too early or the coffee hasn't kicked in yet. A little help, please! :)

Keith

Jim Becker
04-07-2004, 8:53 AM
Thanks, Keith. Those medalions are sweet and can make any project special. I was hoping you would post a way to get them for folks who would like to start incorporating these inlays into their work rather than using other methods for marking projects.

Relative to the download, I think you'll need to post the file as a link, rather than an attachment, but I could be wrong there. Also, it would be nice to have the file available in something more universal than the Corel Draw format...that particular application has moved back somewhat into a niche position over the years and many of us who used it years ago abandoned it in favor of other applications along the way. That way, we could "play" with the thing before passing it over to one of you with lasers for conversion to Corel format and "printing". Of course, there is that issue of vector versus raster!

Ken Salisbury
04-07-2004, 9:20 AM
I wonder where that idea came from :D

Keith Outten
04-07-2004, 9:31 AM
I can certainly save this file in other formats but keep in mind that the format must be for a program that supports vector objects since the outside circle is to be cut and not engraved.

Corel Draw is not as popular for photo work but it is still one of the most widely used programs for engravers and that is why I provided the cdr file. Let me know which program you have and I will try to export a compatible file.

I have edited my post above to add instructions to right click on the file name and select save as to save the file to your local disk. I hope this helps.

Ken,

Sorry but neither you or I can take the credit for the medallion idea, I did some searching on the Internet and they have been around a long time. I posted a message at Badger Pond over two years ago suggesting wooden medallions, I don't know how long you have been using them, quite a while I expect.

Keith Starosta
04-07-2004, 9:36 AM
I will certainly take the .cdr file......if I can just figure out how to get ahold of the file. :)

Keith

Peter Stahl
04-07-2004, 9:48 AM
I attached Kieth's file, don't know if it will work or not. What I did to get it was to right click on the bad attachment icon, went to Properties, then copy and pasted the URL Address to a email and mailed it to myself. When I opened the email that I sent to myself I did a right mouse click on it and did a Save Target As... This is the only way I know how to get a file like that.

Pete

Here's the URL Address to the attachment if it helps. You might be able to right click on this and do a Save Target As... to get the file.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=6429

Peter Stahl
04-07-2004, 9:52 AM
Ken,

Do you cut your own medallions? If so, how?

thanks, Pete

Chris Padilla
04-07-2004, 10:48 AM
I, too, cannot retrieve this file...even trying Peter's way. I cannot get my right click pop-up to show a "Save As" or "Save Target As"...they are shadowed out.

Ken Salisbury
04-07-2004, 11:00 AM
Ken,

Do you cut your own medallions? If so, how?

thanks, Pete

The laser engraver actually engraves and cuts them out from flat stock. I use 1/8" thick for mine.

Ken Salisbury
04-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Ken,

I don't know how long you have been using them, quite a while I expect.

A LOT LONGER THAN I CARE TO REMEMBER ! ! :D :D

Keith Outten
04-07-2004, 12:17 PM
I Give! I Give! I'm going to yield to the Senior Woodworker from Alabama :)

Seriously I can't figure out why the file won't download for some of you, I have tested it from my machine at work and the file transfered perfectly using Internet Explorer. Are you sure you are using the Right Mouse Button to click on the file name?

I changed the file last night and made it a zip file. I also included a wmf file and the jpj graphic in the zip file so everyone could at least view the file.

Rob Littleton
04-07-2004, 12:25 PM
I can uinderstand Mr Becker not being able to save it but I am using a Cisco powered network. I should be able to download it :-)

Seriously, I can save it by right clicking on it and save target as......

Do any of the guys listed above wanna talk to me about getting about 25 of these things made and a price?

25 coz right now, I aint the busiest bee in the nest :-)

Thanks

you can PM me or email me robl@cisco.com

Chris Padilla
04-07-2004, 12:27 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=6433

This work?

Edit: I'll be darned. When I post the URL in this post, I can get the "Save Target As" no problem. Any other method isn't working. Strange!?

Stewart Crick
04-07-2004, 12:36 PM
I Give! I Give! I'm going to yield to the Senior Woodworker from Alabama :)

Seriously I can't figure out why the file won't download for some of you, I have tested it from my machine at work and the file transfered perfectly using Internet Explorer. Are you sure you are using the Right Mouse Button to click on the file name?

Keith,

For the truly lazy at heart, do you know of any place where you can have medalions designed and made?

Stu

Ray Dockrey
04-07-2004, 2:22 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=6433

This work?

Edit: I'll be darned. When I post the URL in this post, I can get the "Save Target As" no problem. Any other method isn't working. Strange!?

I was able to save it this time with the way Chris had it. Thanks.

Robert Ducharme
04-07-2004, 6:06 PM
Ever since I saw the posting about medallions, I have wanted to make the following statement!

Since the medallions are wood and intended to be used to "sign" woodworkig projects, do the people who create the wood medallions "sign" the back or edge of the medallion with their name to say who created the medallion:confused: :rolleyes: :p

David Rose
04-07-2004, 6:38 PM
Stu, reread Keith's original post. I think he covered everything. Most likely any of the folks with a laser engraver could do any part of it you want... start to finish. It would just cost more per medallion. I suspect that most of the folks would beat "store bought commercial prices", if there is such a thing, by a lot. Plus you are supporting fellow woodworkers instead of some unknown group.

David

Keith,

For the truly lazy at heart, do you know of any place where you can have medalions designed and made?

Stu

David Rose
04-07-2004, 10:18 PM
I get an "invalid page fault" and the program shuts down with Corel Draw 8 to open the file. What version are you using? I do get a font error first but a substitute is suggested/accepted.

David

Aaron Koehl
04-08-2004, 9:25 AM
David,

This is a CorelDraw 11 file.

_Aaron_

Stewart Crick
04-08-2004, 10:35 AM
Stu, reread Keith's original post. I think he covered everything. Most likely any of the folks with a laser engraver could do any part of it you want... start to finish. It would just cost more per medallion. I suspect that most of the folks would beat "store bought commercial prices", if there is such a thing, by a lot. Plus you are supporting fellow woodworkers instead of some unknown group.

David

Thanks David. I was thinking Keith might know if any of those listed were interested in providing full service engraving from start to finish. I should have worded my question better. Thanks again.

Stu

Larry Browning
04-08-2004, 1:08 PM
I have been looking for a nice way to "sign" my work. I was thinking that one of the "BrandNew" branding irons would be just the ticket. However the medallion idea sounds good as well. If I were to contact one of the folks with the laser engravers, and I have the layout already done, or not, what would be the price range I would expect ot pay for such a service?
The only down side to this seems to be that I would run out of medallions and have to get more. This would not be a problem with the branding iron.
Also, is Corel Draw 11 required to view this file or will other programs reconize the format?

Keith Outten
04-08-2004, 1:45 PM
Tonight I will correct the problems many of you are having with this file. I will add a zip file with both the Corel Drawing and a Windows meta file as well as a picture of the medailion in the post. The zip file will be stored in our local ftp folder. Sorry I can't do this today.

Larry - You should be able to send this file to any engraver and get them made for about $1.00 each. Also this file can be easilly resized if you prefer them smaller of larger.

Keith Outten
04-08-2004, 6:57 PM
Keith,

Stu

Stu,

Sure :) Now anyone on the list of laser engravers in my post can make custom medallions for you, the template I provided should make it a ten minute job to edit the drawing and insert your name, city and state.

I made the medallions for Jerry Todd and some of Ken Salisbury's. Ken has a local engraver in his neck of the woods that he uses for most of his work. I think I must have made at this point several hundred medallions for lots of woodworkers.

Don't forget Aaron's tip about adding your signature instead of a printed name. Dates can be engraved as well if you know ahead of time when you will finish a project or you can use a serial number.

I can make the medallions for any SMC member for $1.00 each if you provide the material ready to engrave. Feel free to contact the people on the list to see what their prices may be.

David Rose
04-08-2004, 7:53 PM
I've missed a couple of points somewhere here. One is Aaron's suggestion about a signature. Is that is another thread? Also, if something like serialization is used, will the machine set the numbers or is that a manual operation? What I am asking is if that will be more time intensive for the engraver. Last, I think :rolleyes: , what is needed for "prepared wood"? I think Ken said that his engraver cut the pieces out. Is this normal or should the disks be precut? Should the wood just be a thicknessed board out of the planer or should it be sanded etc.?

I have an iron that a friend engraved for me and I put together with a rod and handle. I added the date accessory that is commercially made. I heat with a propane torch, and everything heat wise has to be just right or it is not what I would want folks to see particularly. Of course, I brand where it doesn't show, but still I think the disks look more professional. With a torch heated iron I find it easy to be too hot or not hot enough or hotter on one end than the other.

David

Keith Outten
04-08-2004, 11:04 PM
David,

I will try to clear up a few points.

Your signature can be scanned and engraved instead of having your name engraved in a particular font.

Using serial numbers could be done two ways, manually or by using a script file to automatically input the numbers. Corel Draw supports scripting. If you had 50 employees and wanted each one to have a badge with their name on it we would create a script file with the names and Corel Draw would generate the drawing with 50 badges, one with each name.

Preparing the wood means that you resaw your lumber to the thickness you prefer. Generally medallions are either 1/8" or 1/4" thick. After resawing you sand and apply a finish. The finish will protect the thin board from smoke damage when it is engraved. The laser will cut each disk out after it has been engraved. If you look at the jpg graphic I just uploaded in my original message you will see a very fine red line around the outside of the circle. In my Corel Draw setup I assign all vector lines the color red, it serves as a visual reminder as to what lines or curves are going to be cut (as opposed to engraved).

Branding irons certainly work and they have been around a very long time however they cannot come close to the detail or quality that is possible with a laser. If detail isn't a requirement then a branding iron would be the least expensive and the prefered method. If you look at the pictures that Jerry Todd and Ken Salisbury have posted their disks are 1.25" and 1.5" in diameter. These disks could be reduced to 1/2" diameter and the text would still be pristine, very small but perfectly legible.

Customizing laser engraved medallions is also relatively easy. Adding your graphic or company logo is possible without you having to purchase 10,000 medallions to cover the price of machining a master die or stamp. You pay only for the graphic design time which is much less than a manufacturing process. The simple design template I have posted looks nice and although it isn't a custom design it does save you the graphic setup fee.

Kelly C. Hanna
04-08-2004, 11:55 PM
Keith,

I got the file no problem and have put my name in the center, but since I have never worked with text on a curve, I fail to be able to muddle my way through the procedure to change the city/state to Dallas, Texas. When I click on the text and then click the text button, I lose the selection handles. I have Corel Draw 9. What do I need to do?

Thanks, Kelly

David Rose
04-09-2004, 12:45 AM
Keith, thanks for the further info. I think you've answered all my questions. Now I just need to select someone to make me some sig disks. I hope all you guys who have made the investment in this equipment can come out "smelling like roses". No, not like me. :D I am awed by what you can do with this. I will play around with inserting our logo into the disk.

Thanks for offering the setup also. That is worth a lot to at least a few of us. I understand the cost of dies and stamps and have not had a lot done because of that. This opens a whole new world! :)

David

David,

I will try to clear up a few points.

Your signature can be scanned and engraved instead of having your name engraved in a particular font.

Using serial numbers could be done two ways, manually or by using a script file to automatically input the numbers. Corel Draw supports scripting. If you had 50 employees and wanted each one to have a badge with their name on it we would create a script file with the names and Corel Draw would generate the drawing with 50 badges, one with each name.

Preparing the wood means that you resaw your lumber to the thickness you prefer. Generally medallions are either 1/8" or 1/4" thick. After resawing you sand and apply a finish. The finish will protect the thin board from smoke damage when it is engraved. The laser will cut each disk out after it has been engraved. If you look at the jpg graphic I just uploaded in my original message you will see a very fine red line around the outside of the circle. In my Corel Draw setup I assign all vector lines the color red, it serves as a visual reminder as to what lines or curves are going to be cut.

Branding irons certainly work and they have been around a very long time however they cannot come close to the detail or quality that is possible with a laser. If detail isn't a requirement then a branding iron would be the least expensive and the prefered method. If you look at the pictures that Jerry Todd and Ken Salisbury have posted their disks are 1.25" and 1.5" in diameter. These disks could be reduced to 1/2" diameter and the text would still be pristine, very small but perfectly legible.

Customizing laser engraved medallions is also relatively easy. Adding your graphic or company logo is possible without you having to purchase 10,000 medallions to cover the price of machining a master die or stamp. You pay only for the graphic design time which is much less than a manufacturing process. The simple design template I have posted looks nice and although it isn't a custom design it does save you the graphic setup fee.

Keith Outten
04-09-2004, 7:43 AM
Ever since I saw the posting about medallions, I have wanted to make the following statement!

Since the medallions are wood and intended to be used to "sign" woodworkig projects, do the people who create the wood medallions "sign" the back or edge of the medallion with their name to say who created the medallion:confused: :rolleyes: :p

Robert,

I doubt that any company would sign or engrave their information on the back of a medallion. Since they are meant to be paced into a shallow hole drilled with a forsner bit the information on the back of the medallion would not be visible as an advertisement. Some people set the depth of the medallion just below the surface of the project and some allow the medallions top surface to be just above the project surface.

Using different types of wood makes for color contast between the medallion and the project makes a nice effect. I have also made medallions from clear acrylic, plastic mirror and lots of other engravable plastics, they don't always have to be made from wood. Generally wood is the most expensive material to use because of the time it takes to prep the lumber.

Keith Outten
04-09-2004, 8:09 AM
Lots of people have asked me to provide a price for making medallions including the material. The reason I am hesitant is that I don't have the right equipment to resaw the lumber and prep it efficiently. I have a band saw but it isn't the best quality saw and my 24" dual drum sander works great on large boards but can't sand small pieces that are only 1/8" thick.

The band saw problem I could overcome I guess with a little tuning and by purchasing the right blade. The sander is another issue. Jet now makes a small benchtop sander that will sand to 1/32" which is perfect for this type of work but at $500.00 it would take a lot of medallions to pay for the sander.

Another problem to overcome is the cost of lumber and the variety of species that you would need to stock. Everyone wants a different type of wood for their medallions...cherry, alder, walnut, maple, mahogany, etc. Lots of people ask for ten of each species so they will have a selection of medallions for color contrast.

When you consider the costs involved it is difficult to get the price per medallion down to something that is affordable.

Jim Becker
04-09-2004, 9:05 AM
Folks who do not have the necessary equipment to prepare the thin stock and don't have any friends who do have that ability :rolleyes: can purchase thin stock (albeit at a premium) from a number of the online suppliers and from hobby/craft outlets.

Keith Outten
04-09-2004, 10:27 AM
Ouch! There's that word Premium which translates to higher price. That's why it is really more affordable to provide your own stock.

If enough people are interested I would be willing to purchase the sander and provide thin stock, right now I just don't use thin material very often, although that can change.

Kurt Aebi
04-09-2004, 11:03 AM
For those of you that do not have Corel Draw, you can go to their web site and download a trial verson of Corel Draw for free. Then you can open Keith's file and modify it and save it (or I should say Export it) in numerous formats that should be able to be used by any of th eguys with the laser machines.

John Abbott
09-25-2005, 8:33 PM
Hi Guy's and Girl's

Flexibrass works very nicely for these medalions.It is thin, easy to laser, looks very professional and won't tarnish. I get mine with the sticky back, but make sure you have it placed correctly. It is hard to move once you have it in place.
This is my first post, hope I did ok.
I thought I did some pretty nice woodworking, but I have to say, many of you have fantastic talents and ideals!!!

Thanks
John

Randy Meijer
09-26-2005, 12:47 AM
Keith,

I got the file no problem and have put my name in the center, but since I have never worked with text on a curve, I fail to be able to muddle my way through the procedure to change the city/state to Dallas, Texas. When I click on the text and then click the text button, I lose the selection handles. I have Corel Draw 9. What do I need to do?Thanks, Kelly

Kelly:: One of the problems that you have is that you live in Terrell....or have you forgotten??:D :D :D