PDA

View Full Version : JET 16" Bandsaw

Dave Lehnert
05-14-2008, 4:16 PM
The new woodworking store here in town stocks a Jet 16" bandsaw.

http://woodworking.jettools.com/Products.aspx?nav=ByPart&ClassID=333152&Part=708749B

Anyone own this saw? Also I noticed it has a new style. the saw has a curved cabinet. The old style I saw was box like. Is anything new in this saw or Just a style change?

I had my Eye on a Grizzly 17" saw but would like to buy local if possible.

Tom Veatch
05-14-2008, 5:34 PM
Anyone own this saw? ...

I have a 16" Jet BS, but it's apparently an earlier model that the one in the link. A couple of things in the description don't sound familiar to me - quick release tension feature (which I wish I had), adjustable rear support, and blade tracking window (neither of which sound like anything I'd pay extra for). Most of the rest of the description seems applicable to mine.

I don't have a lot of points of comparison, not having owned any other bandsaw except an underpowered, undersized 12" model, but I'm pleased with it's performance and haven't yet run into any circumstances where I wished for a larger saw.

The 123" blade length is a little uncommon, but finding blades hasn't been any real problem.

Glen Blanchard
05-14-2008, 5:43 PM
Like Tom, I own the 16" JET as depicted in the image you posted - and, like Tom, I do not have a quick release feature on mine. I would have preferred a larger 18" or 20" saw, but I am unable to bring another 220v line into the shop. That being said, I have been quite pleased with the JET.