PDA

View Full Version : Source for QUALIFIED Saw Sharpener

Brian J. Williams
05-14-2008, 3:28 PM
I'd like to get a cross-cut sharpened dovetail saw re-sharpened to a rip cut. I know I've seen some of the Creekers talking about different folks who do a good job of saw sharpening, and I was wondering if those of you who have recent experience sending your saws out for sharpening would drop me a line or reply here.

Thanks Much.

Brian

Martin Shupe
05-14-2008, 3:30 PM
Daryl Weir....don't have his contact info with me.

On ebay as woodnut4....

Also posts on "another forum that shall not be named"

Tony Sade
05-14-2008, 5:54 PM
Steve Cooke
1160 Taxville Rd
York, Pa. 17408
717-779-8632.

SharpeningGuy01@aol.com

He's also got a website. cookessharpening dot you-know-what.

George Moore
05-14-2008, 6:13 PM
Steve has sold his business but he is still doing sharpening at home. And he does a great job.

George

Frederick Rowe
05-14-2008, 8:57 PM
Brian - Have you tried sharpening your saw yourself? I bought the DVD "Hand Saw Sharpening" by Tom Law, and have been jointing, sharpening, and setting my saws ever since. It is not complex, and aside from an instructional DVD (there are many, many good resources online), the cost is only that of a good file. I've been amazed at the performance of some old "beater" saws, and gained more than a little insight into a tool I would only use in the past as a last resort. Give it a try. PM me if you can't find the DVD.

Brian J. Williams
05-14-2008, 10:45 PM
I haven't seen that DVD, but I should probably do so. Until then, I'm frankly reluctant to try and do my own sharpening on a saw. Plane iron or chisel- no sweat. Saw- not yet. For now, I'm going to let someone else give it a go.

Thanks to all for your input.

Brian

Tony Sade
05-14-2008, 10:52 PM
The info above I posted for Steve Cooke is up-to-date within the last few weeks-I just got back a large miter saw I sent to him. He identified the phone number in an email exchange we had as "the new number", so I think it should still be good.

My saw came back in great shape. I'll be sending others in the very near future.

Gary Herrmann
05-15-2008, 8:15 AM
Another vote for Steve.

James K Peterson
05-15-2008, 11:34 AM
I'll put another vote for Steve. Had some saws done just a few weeks ago and they are great. :D

Thanks
James

James Owen
05-15-2008, 2:02 PM
I'd like to get a cross-cut sharpened dovetail saw re-sharpened to a rip cut. I know I've seen some of the Creekers talking about different folks who do a good job of saw sharpening, and I was wondering if those of you who have recent experience sending your saws out for sharpening would drop me a line or reply here......

I haven't seen that DVD, but I should probably do so. Until then, I'm frankly reluctant to try and do my own sharpening on a saw. Plane iron or chisel- no sweat. Saw- not yet. For now, I'm going to let someone else give it a go.

Brian

Brian,

My two Pfennigs' worth is that you ought to give some serious consideration into turning yourself into a qualified saw sharpener.

Tom Law's DVD will show you everything you need to know on getting started sharpening your saws.

Harold "Dynamite" Payson also has a very good book, with lots of diagrams, on saw sharpening. It is very detailed and explains the hows and whys, as well as the possible pitfalls and how to avoid them.

Both are available on the LN web site book/video section.

Also, check SMC for Bob Smalser's articles on sharpening and tuning saws.

Tools needed:

A triangular saw file to fit the tooth size on your saw
A flat mill bastard file (6" to 10" work well) to joint your teeth
A saw jointer (commercial or home made)
A saw set
A saw vice (commercial or home made)

Files available from LN, amongst many other places
Saw sets are available from Tools for Working Wood (new -- about $22 for a pair) or Jon Zimmers Antique Tools (vintage -- price varies)
Saw vices and saw jointers are available from Jon Zimmers Antique Tools (vintage) or you can make your own

Once you sharpen a saw and see how ridiculously easy it is, you'll never saw with a dull saw again. If you're still hesitant, try it out on a "junk" saw. You'll be pleasantly surprised to see just how easy it really is. A bit of practice, and you'll have it down as well as it sounds you have chisel and plane iron sharpening down.

Good luck & have fun!

[TRUTH IN ADVERTISING DISCLOSURE: Not affiliated with any of the mentioned companies, but am a very satisfied repeat customer of all three of them.]

Rob Luter
05-16-2008, 11:59 PM
Brian -

We have a couple of guys in my area (Elkhart/South Bend, IN) that do a great job. I had a Disston #8 Rip and #8 CC both sharpened as well as a Disston #4 and Jackson Dovetail Saw retoothed + sharpened. It's cheap, precise, and gives you a good idea what doing it right looks like. If you have any trouble finding someone drop me a line.

David Wheeler
05-17-2008, 9:04 PM
Daryl Weir
781 S. Market St.
Knoxville, IL 61448

You won't go wrong with Daryl. He has sharpened a several vintage saws (Wheeler, Madden, and Clemson; Richardson Bros.; Spiers and Jackson, etc.) for me over the past 8 weeks. He does an excellent job; he isn't cheap but you don't have to worry about your saw getting screwed up. I'll send you some pics of mine if you want.

I intend to learn this someday; but right now I want to spend time in my shop doing other things.
-David Wheeler

Archie England
05-19-2008, 12:32 AM
Learn to sharpen and do this yourself. I've had a lot of fun learning. To transform an old junker into a great cutting tool is so cool.