PDA

View Full Version : 7.5HP Table saw?

JohnT Fitzgerald
05-14-2008, 2:58 PM
I just noticed on the SawStop site that they offer a 7.5HP motor.....what would be the real use for a saw that powerful?

Carl Fox
05-14-2008, 3:06 PM
You're right!

Optional 7.5 hp TEFC motor
230V -- 3 ph.
460V -- 3 ph. $600.00

7.5 HP driving a 10" blade. Wow.

JohnT Fitzgerald
05-14-2008, 3:17 PM
actually I saw it on a tools website (bunstools or some place) and I was ready to bet it was a typo. So I went to the sawstop site and as you point out, it's a $600 option. I suppose if I had 460V 3PH in my house I'd consider it...LOL.

Chris Padilla
05-14-2008, 3:43 PM
Not sure you need that on a 10" blade...even a 12" blade might be pushing it!

Rob Russell
05-14-2008, 3:44 PM
If you've got the saw setup with a power feeder for ripping 3"+ oak and are trying to move as much stock through it as possible, the 7.5HP motor could come in handy. Ditto if you put a dado head on it and are trying to run lots of deep dados in hardwood.

Julian Wong
05-14-2008, 3:46 PM
I just noticed on the SawStop site that they offer a 7.5HP motor.....what would be the real use for a saw that powerful?

Got to find a way to lenghten the Arbor and get a wider brake cardridge... but I believe it was made to power a cut 2" wide dado, 1" deep in 1 pass?

JohnT Fitzgerald
05-14-2008, 3:56 PM
that seems to be encroaching on the territory of a surface planer....LOL.

George Lesniak
05-14-2008, 6:01 PM

Well since the 3 HP version can't even cut a hotdog...

George

Karl Brogger
05-14-2008, 6:23 PM
Well since the 3 HP version can't even cut a hotdog...

George

LOL

Honestly is there such a thing as too much power in a tablesaw? When they bog down is when they catch. I use a 50T for ripping solid and it bogs down a 5hp Powermatic if you're really ramming it through.

Chris Padilla
05-14-2008, 6:28 PM
LOL

Honestly is there such a thing as too much power in a tablesaw? When they bog down is when they catch. I use a 50T for ripping solid and it bogs down a 5hp Powermatic if you're really ramming it through.

Uh, don't ram it through?! ;) I suspect a power feeder is needed if you are in that state.

Personally, I'm trying to use the BS for ripping more than my TS...much safer in my head.

Karl Brogger
05-14-2008, 6:38 PM
A bandsaw? Never thought of that. Sound like alot of hassle if you need to rip a few thousand feet of whatever though. I'm definetely not setup to make that work. I'd need to ditch the Delta 14" bandsaw:D

Eventually I'll get a powerfeed on a table saw, but that won't be for a while, there just isn't enough space for another table saw in my shop, and I don't want to deal with removing and attaching one. At some point I'd like to pick up a straight line rip saw but that's also a ways down the road also.

Peter Quinn
05-14-2008, 7:06 PM
A bandsaw? Never thought of that. Sound like alot of hassle if you need to rip a few thousand feet of whatever though. I'm definetely not setup to make that work. I'd need to ditch the Delta 14" bandsaw:D

Eventually I'll get a powerfeed on a table saw, but that won't be for a while, there just isn't enough space for another table saw in my shop, and I don't want to deal with removing and attaching one. At some point I'd like to pick up a straight line rip saw but that's also a ways down the road also.

Karl, sounds like you have the wrong band saw! I saw one on discovery channel's "Modern Marvels Wood Technology" show that was ripping 8"X8" timbers at the rate of 50,000 LF/hr! Of course it was 10' tall with half the height buried in a pit and was running an 8" carbide blade, but still, it was a bad band saw. My 14" is slightly slower.

Simon Dupay
05-14-2008, 7:51 PM
The saw stop at work is 7.5HP 3Ph. And at times it seems like it's not enough.

Chris Parks
05-14-2008, 9:56 PM
I would think it is for heavy duty cycles, it won't overheat when used for long periods without a break. You have got to admit those hot dogs are fairly tough things.:)

Steven Hardy
05-15-2008, 1:53 AM
The saw stop at work is 7.5HP 3Ph. And at times it seems like it's not enough.

Ask them to buy a Delta 36-790 and a power feeder???:)

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11140

Frank Drew
05-15-2008, 9:15 AM
Honestly is there such a thing as too much power in a tablesaw?

I'm with Karl here -- I can't think of the downside to a more powerful motor. I had a 5hp Powermatic and traded up to a 5kW (almost 7 hp) 12" Ulmia and loved it. There are times when you might be cutting 16/4 material and can use all the power you can get.

Whether or not it's worth $600 to you, I can't answer, and I'm also not saying that 3-5 hp would be inadequate for your needs.

Brian J Holmes
05-15-2008, 10:34 AM
My intro to woodworking many years ago was working in a production cabinet door shop. My job was sizing the glued up panels before shaping. I ran a 7.5hp TS fitted with a huge sliding table to the left of the blade. The saw ran for literally 9 hours a day with only a 30 minute break for lunch and two 15 minute breaks at other times of the day. On an average day I ran 200-300 panels (mostly oak) through the saw and I ran them fast. Never once saw the motor bog down and cleaning out the dust bin at the end of the day the motor was only warm to the touch.

So I'll second the speed of cut/heavy duty usage comments

John Thompson
05-15-2008, 10:52 AM
If you run a lot of 12/4 or thicker stock as would some commercial ventures.. a power feeder and larger horse is necessary to run on that production scale. Not uncommon to run up to 12 HP in those scenarios.

I have a 3 HP Uni-saw.. do a large amount of ripping without a power feeder in up to 12/4 stock. The 3 HP will do it.. but is a bit slow even running a Euro 20 T rip blade with plenty of gullet. I would trade the 3 HP for a 5 HP in 12" in a heart-beat as that would be more appropriate for me personally.

I know an English furniture builder that runs a 12 HP Wadkins in his shop without power feed. He does get timbers in excess of 16/4 though and the saw will run 24/7 slicing it.

Most of us don't need 7.5 HP.. and the 3 phase should give away the acutual intent of who does as that is standard in most commercial settings.

Sarge..

Karl Brogger
05-15-2008, 5:21 PM
Most of us don't need 7.5 HP.. and the 3 phase should give away the actual intent of who does as that is standard in most commercial settings.

Sarge..

Anything over 5hp in 240V starts getting really expensive.

John Thompson
05-15-2008, 6:56 PM
Indeed it does Karl. But.. that is probably true with most things in general. If you need more.. you have to pay more.. A good example would be BS's. We pay a reasonable price for a saw up to 20" 5 HP which would be enough for almost any home set-up. But a 24" is a a "baby" saw in an industrail setting which just requires more with 36" being the norm to run continous duty on a production line.
Regards...

Sarge..

Chris Padilla
05-15-2008, 7:10 PM
Most of us don't need 7.5 HP.. and the 3 phase should give away the acutual intent of who does as that is standard in most commercial settings.

Sarge..

Yepper doodles and there ya go! I *suspect* most of us on this forum are hobbyists and not pros so anything 3-phase screams commercial and any motor requiring more than 30 A at 240 V screams it as well....