PDA

View Full Version : Wild Cherry

Scott Kepner
05-14-2008, 2:21 PM
I am finishing the final T&G on some flooring using wild cherry purchased locally. It has heavy mineral streaks/patterns (ranging from green to browns). I am looking for ideas to finish the floor. This flooring will be used for a home theater room above my shop ~ 400 ft sq.

Does it sound appropriate to seal with 1lb dewaxed shellac, then apply stain to even the tone, then topcoat with street shoe or similar product? My main concern is the huge differences or variance between each board. I don't mind the streaking-as my wife said, "it adds character."

Ted Jay
05-14-2008, 11:32 PM
home theater room above the shop

How cool is that?!!!:D

Ted

Jim Becker
05-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Honestly, I'd leave it natural and not color it. You can go right to your flooring finish...no need for the de-waxed shellac unless you want to use it for some toning or, if your top coat is water borne, to help reduce grain raise. You'll want to to three coats of your finish. Two go on, floor screened or lightly sanded to get rid of any trash, etc., and the final coat carefully applied and allowed to cure a couple days before walking on it.