PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Challenging Millwork Job

Matt Hutchinson
05-14-2008, 1:42 PM
I just got a call from a millwork shop. They need two column wraps, a top trim and a bottom trim, to be fixed around a 20" diameter column. I have attached a pic of the profiles that need to be turned.

It will be made from African Mahogany. The column is already in place, so here's the method I think will work. Make large staved cylinders, with a paper joint separating the halves. I will flatten an edge, then attach cross slats ( across the diameter) on the inside of this edge. This will be held in a chuck, I will proceed to smooth the inside first. After accomplishing this, I will shape the outside. Then I will detach it from the lathe, and break the paper joints so there will be two halves that fit perfectly around the 20" diameter column. I have left out misc. details in the process, but does anyone see significant flaws in this process? Thanks.

Hutch

P.S. I haven't bid yet, but they are in a crunch They need these pieces, one of each, by May 27. How does $600 each sound, not including materials?

Thomas Bennett
05-14-2008, 1:56 PM
I like the design, and your production ideas. I think your price is reasonable, too. Thank goodness you have a year and two weeks to deliver. good luck!

Matt Hutchinson
05-14-2008, 10:16 PM
I have not done segmented turnings before. Can anyone give me a few tips on how to get accurate joints? I think this may be rather tricky, considering one of the rough staved rings will be 9" high. Thanks.

Hutch

Norm Zax
05-15-2008, 2:15 AM
How about a full turn (no staves) and then slice on the band saw? Just be sure to have a jig for holding it steady.

Matt Hutchinson
05-16-2008, 2:11 PM
This morning things were looking great. It sounded like the millwork shop was going to hire me for this job at $1400. But then they called the original customer, who had managed to locate the original manufacturer, and we were out of it. Of course, they couldn't have called and told the millwork shop that a week ago....grrr.

So, I am am frustrated and disappointed. I was looking forward to such a cool and profitable job. You win some and you lose some....but I am still bummed.

Hutch

Brian Weick
11-12-2009, 3:21 PM
Hi Matt,
I know its past the post date but what you may want to look into; pertaining to hallow constructed wood columns, is a birds mouth shaper cutter or router bit either 45 degree for 8 sided construction or 60 degree 12 sided construction. You don't have to paper joint the seams , cut the finished stock on a band saw (jig set up for center cut) , biscuit joinery and glue back up, shrink wrap, strap band and your good to go.
Brian