PDA

View Full Version : Hand Held Spindle Sander

Tony Falotico
04-07-2004, 6:41 AM
Relative to Mark's thread on spindle sanders, Does anyone have the PC Hand Held unit? I've been seriously considering one, figuring it could be used hand held and mounted router table style.

If anyone has one, How do you like it?

Do you find many hand held applications?

Have you mounted it in a table? If so, how does it work?

I've only seen the machine a couple times in the stores, they don't seem to be very popular. While traveling over the weekend, I stopped at a box store where I had seen one (planning to buy) to find they were discontinued by that store.

Chris Padilla
04-07-2004, 10:24 AM
Hi Tony,

I have the PC-121 Oscillating Spindle Sander. Woodpeckers (http://www.woodpeck.com/sander.html#742) has it on a pretty good price right now. Quite frankly, I love it. While I don't put it into my router table, I do have a cutout in my workbench for it. Funny thing, I mounted the Woodpekcer plate to it on day 1 and haven't removed it...even for use off the bench!

Per usual for me, when I bought the sander, I got every size of spindle they offer along with all the grits they offer. I used the sander extensively for roughing out a curved shelf I built (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=6911) for a friend. I also used it to sand the cutout for fishing the wires...the cutout was 2 1/4" thick and it sanded it beautifully.

For not having yet another piece of floor-standing equipment and having the ability to use this as a portable tool, I think it is quite versatile and would highly recommend it.

The 'fence' they provide with it isn't all that good if you want to use this to edge-sand carefully and straight. I haven't used it for this application but if you mounted it in your router table and used the fence, I am sure it could work kinda like a jointer. Hmmm, I should try this! :)

Tony Falotico
04-08-2004, 6:35 AM
Thanks for the input Chris, I'm pretty sure I'll get one.

Guess by the lack of response from the membership here, I was right when assuming they aren't very popular. Maybe that's because they are very difficult (ie impossible) to find in local stores.

One more ?, does it use 'standard' sanding sleeves (same ones used on benchtops) or are they proprietary (oddball) size.

Dave Richards
04-08-2004, 9:39 AM
Tony, I've got one, too. I think it does a great job. Awhile back I bought a plate for it from Bench Dog so it would drop into my router table which really increased its usefulness. I don't think they sell the plate anymore but I don't think it would be tough to make one from scratch.

I sometimes just clamp the thing to the edge of the bench rather than taking the router out of the table and it works swell there, too. Since I have that sander, I haven't come across the need for a bench top or stationary spindle sander.

Chris Padilla
04-08-2004, 10:19 AM
Sanding sleeves are of normal sizes: 1/2", 3/4", 1", 2" (I think). No big deal here.

Go for it...I think it is quite a versatile little tool.

Tony Falotico
04-11-2004, 10:41 AM
Chris, Dave, Thanks for the replies. I picked the last one up at Woodcraft Friday, just got home so it hasn't gotten out of the box yet. Looking forward to using it.

One of those Triton plunge routers wanted to come home with me also. It was a pathetic sight, the router begging to come with me, and me really wanting to give it a nice home. But they only had one, the box was open and the instruction manual was missing. The sales guy didn't seem that interested in finding the manual, even though I indicated he had a sale if found. Oh well, the poor router's heart was broken as I walked away (made me feel bad also). Maybe next time the adoption will go smoother.

Dave Richards
04-11-2004, 3:42 PM
Aw, Tony, don't feel too bad. At least you're giving that PC121 a good home. Maybe the next time you go in they'll have found the manual for the Triton or maybe they'll have gotten a few more.

You know, maybe that's a marketing plan. Your favorite toolstore could have a Power Tool Adoption Day kind of like some of the chain pet stores do with the local animal shelters.

Enjoy the sander.